TUW: The Steel Trade [IC]

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 88: Evening Camp, Part 3

OOC: What ability / skill is needed to make a person more resistant to mental / willpower attacks?
GM: Skepticism: (Commercial Task)
Tranquility: (Collegiate Task)

Tellerain Hawke said:
Merin, noting how effective the fire was against the beetle, scours the area for more lighter pine. He suspects that these insects might be common in this area, and wants to be prepared.
Walking southwest away from the stream and back into the pine forest, Merin is able to find 8 measures worth of lighter pine.

Merin tells the group,
Tellerian Hawke said:
"If the Maldrog live in the mountains, it is likely that they live inside them, since the inside of a mountain would likely be rich in minerals, and since a fortress carved into a mountain would be much easier to defend. We should keep a lookout for signs of worked or paved stone, once we reach the area."
Later that evening while enjoying the day's catch, Sheldon engages with Merin over his proposition.
"That is a viable idea. Perhaps we might hear the activity of their mining before we see any signs of their dwelling, or rather Myth and Turtle might hear it, as their hearing is much greater than our own."

Indigo asks,
"So, do we cross the river or follow it upstream?"

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund offers,
"If we cross the river we will have to find a shallow area to ford otherwise we endanger ourselves and the pack animals. I would suggest following the river until a suitable area presents itself, or planning on simply following the river. However, if I were them I would be watching the river."

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit nods at Saemund's words and replies, "Sounds reasonable. Since this is a friendly visit it's okay if the Mhytres see us coming."

Bolo says, "All living things need water. Following the river will keep our journey interesting."

Turtle munches on one of his fish. Sometimes he thinks he wants to know words like the people do, but then again all that talking doesn't seem like something a bear would need.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
"The visit may be friendly, but I had a friend named Mad Dog Mathias who told me once to be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them. I thought him daft until I began adventuring with all of you, now I see his wisdom."

"Although," Saemund grins. "Mad Dog did try to fight a bull once because the animal wouldn't look at him, so maybe his advice isn't the best."

MacConnell

Day 89: Following the River, A New Dilemma

In the morning the party prepares to follow the the river upstream. Catching a few more fish for breakfast, Sheldon and Indigo check the stream for the sake of the knowledge. The rivulet that runs through Southroad Fair is readily crossable being only about the depth of a man's knee. This stream is much larger, but examination determines it to be only as deep as a man's waist at its greatest and having a rocky bottom for stability of travel.

After only a couple of hours travel, the party comes to a split in the stream. One branch continues in a more southeasterly direction back into the pines. The other cuts east by northeast, seeming to skirt the edge of the pine forest.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sylvar B. said:
"The visit may be friendly, but I had a friend named Mad Dog Mathias who told me once to be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them."

Sannit strokes his beard as he thinks on Saemund's words and says, "You bring up an interesting point in how the Maldrog might see us. I was concerned they might not want to become involved in our struggles, but now I think we might get caught up in theirs. They could be polite at first while lining us up for the kill. We should be alert and cautious."

At the fork in the stream Sannit peers both ways and says, "Going into the trees will slow us down. I would prefer to go around the forest unless the rest of you think we should stop following the stream."

Bolo takes a moment to check for any tracks around the water, animal or otherwise.

Turtle splashes in one stream and then the other, enjoying the opportunity to mix the waters together.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund offers,
"It may be advantageous for us to be seen approaching their stronghold. Assault forces don't walk out in the open if cover is available. I think following the stream is prudent. No need to alarm the Maldrog, especially if our visit is peaceful."

MacConnell

Day 89: Examining the Fork in the Stream

Bolo takes a moment to check for any tracks around the water, animal or otherwise.
Indigo and Sheldon help check the streams for sign of passage.

GM:
OOC: Observation:
Empathy (Collegiate Task) +
Mind + Knowledge + Wisdom +
Commercial + Mercantile
Time: 1 day * complexity / (Effectiveness + d100)

This active task represents watching and listening to the immediate area to determine patterns, anomalies, or dangers. It can also be used to determine a person's intentions or motivation.

Empathy:
Range: Self
Effectiveness: Essence + Mind + Cohesion + Will + Discipline + Collegiate + Divination

This may be utilized as a constant task if Health cumulative allows. It is used to augment the outcome of various Commercial Tasks.

Sheldon: 55 + 33 = 88
Indigo: 46 + 33 = 79
Bolo: 49 + 32 = 81

Time: 1 / (248 + 75 = 4 minutes

At each given observation point, it takes the three only a few moments to satisfy themselves of their finding. There are several distinguishable animal paths, but on the far branch of the stream that cuts more to the east, northeast, there appears to be a path forming from the passage of people. The trail is faint, yet.

GM: Party XP

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin and Tor look at the trail that was made by people, looking to see if there are any actual, discernable tracks or footprints. Myth will help also, trying to see if any scents linger anywhere along the trail.

MacConnell

Day 89: Examining the Fork in the Stream, Part 2

Merin and Tor look at the trail that was made by people, looking to see if there are any actual, discernable tracks or footprints. Myth will help also, trying to see if any scents linger anywhere along the trail.
Merin and Tor are not able to make any further discovery than the others.

It is decided that there are prints from pack animals and people, and that the people are not Faethrin. Nothing more is distinguishable.

Remove ads