TUW: The Steel Trade [IC]

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 92: Investigating the Cairn, Part 2

"I heard someone say once, 'Just because there is an opportunity, it doesn't mean it's your opportunity.'"
Sheldon laughs, pulling his hair back from his face with his left hand.
"Ha! Sounds like someone complacent with slavery. If opportunity is passed, did it even exist. I cannot see that any of us left the monotony of the caravan life to avoid opportunity."

Indigo lightly backhands Sheldon before responding.
"Ignore Sheldon's sarcasm. It must be our nature. None of us can see the potential for adventure and pass it by. This is too curious not to approach. We may seem like a moth to a flame, but we are no mere moths."

GM: The party follows the largest of the game trails to draw closer to the rock formation. Circling from a distance, it is determined that the movement atop the structure is being made by nesting vultures.

Sannit first recognizes the olive trees growing on the ledges, quickly followed by Indigo. It is the right time of year for them to be in bloom, and with continuous bird nesting, they appear well fertilized.

The cairn is basically comprised of 3 stacked rock layers, each about half again as tall as a man. The length of the structure is about 50 paces, north to south, and the width about 20 paces. At several points along the ground and the first ledge, indentations intrude into the formation, making small caves.

At the current distance, no animals are seen other than the vultures.

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund begins walking around the perimeter of the cairn. He looks for signs of people activity. Especially broken twigs in the underbrush, places where someone would have made camp. He also looks for carvings in the stones and trees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit peers at the vultures with a sense of foreboding. "I think those carrion birds might be feeding on whatever is left by whatever made those small caves. I hope it's not bugs again," he says with a sigh.

Bolo responds, "Bugs would not leave enough for the vultures, and they would eat the vultures." After thinking a moment she adds, "I want to try something."

San-Bolo will creep up to within suitable distance of one of the cave entrances and Bolo will use Way to make noise by the mouth of the closest cave, trying to draw out whatever is in there from a safe distance.

Turtle follows along behind, but does not interfere. He knows he'll get to snack when it's safe.

MacConnell

Day 92: Investigating the Cairn, Part 3

Saemund begins walking around the perimeter of the cairn. He looks for signs of people activity. Especially broken twigs in the underbrush, places where someone would have made camp. He also looks for carvings in the stones and trees.
GM: Not yet approaching too closely, Saemund is still able to see sign of other people's activity, though it appears to be long past. One the south side, away from the nesting vultures, Saemund moves close enough to distinguish tool marks as if that cave was carved. There is also a distinct symbol chiseled into the stone.

GM: Party XP will be awarded for looking for carvings in the stone.

MacConnell

Day 92: Investigating the Cairn, Part 4

Sannit peers at the vultures with a sense of foreboding. "I think those carrion birds might be feeding on whatever is left by whatever made those small caves. I hope it's not bugs again," he says with a sigh.

Bolo responds, "Bugs would not leave enough for the vultures, and they would eat the vultures." After thinking a moment she adds, "I want to try something."
GM:
OOC: Thump:
Range: Confluence + Will
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Confluence +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Will +
  • Collegiate
This causes a rapid expansion of air creating a loud thump in the target's ear which can inflict stunning damage (loss of Mind).

Using the mechanical concept of Thump, Bolo lessens the expansion of air to generate a knocking sound within the central cave on the western facing .

Two of the vultures from the top take to the air. Their behavior indicates a cursory flight to look for potential danger. A few of the young birds peer over the side, seeing San-Bolo and Turtle, but they do not appear disturbed.

From another cave nearer the north on the second level, a lioness with two young cubs investigates the sound. She uses her body to try to shield her curious kits. She appears completely defensive in posture and makes no sign of aggression.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, softly, "The lioness is not a threat, we should concentrate on the opposite cave, the one with the tool markings, that appears to be carved."

Tor nods in agreement. "I will accompany Saemund, and have a peek into that cave, if we are all in agreement. The rest of you can take up defensive positions outside, in case we have to vacate the cave in a hurry."

Myth watches with interest, especially after the appearance of the lioness. He regards her with a wary stare, because he knows her prime concern is the safety of her kittens. He hopes the people don't do anything loud or sudden, which might provoke a defensive response from her.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund points out the cave and the engraving on the wall. Do you notice that the caves appear to be man made, and the carving on the wall, what do you make of that? Have you seen anything like it before? Who ever made those hasn't been around for a while. It might be interesting to see how deep the caves are, and what they contain, we might find something worthwhile. I didn't really think it was a good idea to investigate this rock to begin with, but if we are going to do it we might as well be thorough.

MacConnell

Day 92: Investigating the Cairn, Part 5

Merin says, softly, "The lioness is not a threat, we should concentrate on the opposite cave, the one with the tool markings, that appears to be carved."

Tor nods in agreement. "I will accompany Saemund, and have a peek into that cave, if we are all in agreement. The rest of you can take up defensive positions outside, in case we have to vacate the cave in a hurry."

Myth watches with interest, especially after the appearance of the lioness. He regards her with a wary stare, because he knows her prime concern is the safety of her kittens. He hopes the people don't do anything loud or sudden, which might provoke a defensive response from her.
GM: Sensing no danger in the area, despite the presence of the lioness, Tor and Saemund move toward the southern cave. It requires only a minute to be thoroughly satisfied with its investigation.

There is a single symbol chiseled into the outside of the rock. Its meaning is unknown and likely unimportant. The cave is not natural at all, but in reality a small mine making a shallow entrance to the rock formation.

Sheldon decides to climb to the next level to investigate the caves there.

GM:
OOC: Climb:
  • Fury (Collegiate Task) +
  • Body + Motility + Strength +
  • Commercial + Athletic
Time: 1 hour * paces * difficulty / (effectiveness + d100)

This is a rather self-explanatory task. A check is only necessary if the climb would require the use of hands and feet.

Sheldon: 54 + 39 = 93
Time: 1 * 1.5 * 2 / (93 + 73) = 1 minute

It takes Sheldon just over 1 minute to make the short climb.
"This hole up here is also a dug mine, but it is much deeper that below. I cannot see all the way in. The symbol here on the outside is also different."
OOC: There are a total of 7 caves, counting the one occupied by the lioness and her kits.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The GM said:
There is a single symbol chiseled into the outside of the rock. Its meaning is unknown and likely unimportant. The cave is not natural at all, but in reality a small mine making a shallow entrance to the rock formation.

Merin thinks: ~Hmm. I'd better sketch this symbol. Likely, it is the mark of the clan of Maldrog who own this mine, or perhaps it stands for the type of mineral or ore that the mine contains. At any rate, it's worth making a note of this symbol. We should also try to detect for minerals and what-not inside the cave, to see if this vein contains anything, or whether the vein has already been completely mined.~

Merin says: "I'm going to sketch this symbol really quickly. While I'm doing that, would the rest of you be opposed to checking the caves for minerals and ore?"

MacConnell

Day 92: Investigating the Cairn, Part 6

Merin says,
"I'm going to sketch this symbol really quickly. While I'm doing that, would the rest of you be opposed to checking the caves for minerals and ore?"
GM:
OOC: Mining:
  • Sense Mineral (Collegiate Task) +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Wisdom +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
Time = 1 day * rarity / (Effectiveness + Luck)

This task is indicative of the search for usable metal or stone.

There are faint traces of iron, chromium, nickle, and molybdenum. These have obviously been mined out, long since.

Searching for usable stone reveals:
OOC: New Collections:
  • 1 White Stone
  • 1 Black Stone
  • 1 Red Stone
  • 1 Quartz Stone
  • 1 Amber Stone
  • 1 Turquoise Stone

Last edited:

Remove ads