• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TWF Question

Sylvaroth

First Post
Did I understand this right?

If you have a bab of +2, the feats exotic weapon proficiency and two-weapon fighting, using e.g. the two-bladed sword, with the one blade as a one-handed weapon and the other blade as a light weapon, you have two attacks as if using two weapons of the said type (both dealing 1d8 damage for a maximum of 16 damage without modifiers) AND you may later decide to use the weapon as a two-handed weapon, as opposed to only having the feat two-weapon fighting (and maybe quick draw), using a light (maximum 1d6) and a one-handed weapon (maximum 1d8) with the same modifiers, but having to expend a move action that provokes an AoO to sheathe the light weapon (having to expend another one or a free action in combination with a regular move without provoking an AoO, if you choose to draw it again later, and you do not have Quick Draw also, in which case it were a free action) or to drop the weapon as a free action (risking to damage or lose the weapon and having to pick it up later, provoking another AoO). If you decided to sheathe or drop both weapons (the light and the one-handed one), to draw and fight with a two-handed weapon, this gets even worse.

Of course double weapons are more expensive (up to 100gp for a greatsword / 45gp for a shortsword, a longsword, and a greataxe), almost as heavy (up to 15 lbs. for an orc double axe / 18 lbs. for the above three weapons), and usually bigger, but aside from that, why should I choose the latter two feats, having to carry two to three single weapons (a light, a one-, and a two-handed weapon) instead of choosing the first two feats, having to carry only one single double weapon? It is faster, more secure and may deal up to 4 points more damage, if you roll lucky.

Last edited:

Sylvaroth

First Post
Thanee said:
Especially...

:p
Well, I edited the text several times. This seems to be a leftover from an earlier version. :\

Thanee said:
But yeah, seems like you got that right.

The cost for the benefit is the Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Bye
Thanee
As opposed to taking the quick draw feat and provoking attacks of opportunity using multiple weapons? ;)

Thanee

First Post
Only if you sheathe them during combat, which isn't something one normally does. ;)

And Quick Draw has other additional benefits. For example, TWF and QD work with all weapons.

Bye
Thanee

Sylvaroth

First Post
True, true.

But still, I'd rather sheathe my +3 vorpal sword than dropping it and having it stolen from a bunch of sneaky goblins, while I attack something else. Not to mention their hobgoblin leader deciding to pick it up and use it against me.

While QD works for all weapons, XWP works for all exotic weapons, who are cool, too, if you use them right.

While I do not say the one is far better than the other, it is a matter of effectiveness, and in a combat situation, effectiveness is all that separates a victorious hero from a heap of dead meat and metal.

Combining TWF, XWP, and QD is even more versatile, enabling you to do all that's mentioned above AND much much more.

I just try to get my thoughts straight, to better understand what I am doing.

Thanee

First Post
Sylvaroth said:
While QD works for all weapons, XWP works for all exotic weapons, who are cool, too, if you use them right.

Only in Neverwinter Nights. ;)

Choose a type of exotic weapon. You understand how to use that type of exotic weapon in combat.

Special: You can gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of exotic weapon. Proficiency with the bastard sword or the dwarven waraxe has an additional prerequisite of Str 13.

Bye
Thanee

Sylvaroth

First Post
Hast ja recht.

I forgot that one. :blush:

So it is only for very specialized fighters, right?

Makes me think there should be something like a general XWP.

Heard much about the exotic weapon master, seems I'll have to look it up to do a feat that does not restrict you to only one type of exotic weapon.

kenobi65

First Post
Just one other point...you can always choose to use any one-handed weapon with two hands. The extra text in the description of the two-bladed sword on the topic just clarifies that you can use one blade (but it takes both hands to do so, due to the size of the weapon).

If you're going to go the TWF route, the two-bladed sword is a pretty good option. There's no other commonly-available weapon that counts as "light" for the off-hand, but does a d8 damage. And, while you need to spend a feat slot on Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use it to best effect, other weapon feats (Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, etc.) will work on both "sides" of it (an advantage over using, say, longsword / short sword).

Also remember that, even if you have a longsword in one hand and a shortsword in the other, you don't have to take the TWF penalties.

Depending on how your DM decides the TWF rules are read, you only take TWF penalties when either:

1. You take the Full Attack action and want to gain extra attacks over and above those allowed by your BAB, or ...
  2. You take the penalties when you decide that you are wielding the second weapon, and can decide to not wield it in any given round; if you aren't wielding it, it's just like holding an oddly-shaped stick in your off-hand (doesn't threaten, can't be used for AoOs, etc.)

Last edited:

Darklone

Already mentioned: TWF chars with many feats are well advised to get Rapid Shot/PBS as well... if there are attacks left after dropped the enemy, you might be able to throw some daggers.

This works pretty well with the twobladed sword, you hold it in one hand while you throw with your main hand most remaining attacks...

Still you need Quickdraw. And feats. Many feats.

Remove ads