• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Two-Handed Weapon + Shield

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It probably gives at least a minor defensive advantage, but I'm not sure if it could be adequately represented in 5e. At best it would be a +1 AC. Maybe require a feat or fighting style to take advantage of it?

I concur. A large shield can be somewhat static (in fact, part of good "large shield use" is being disciplined in *not* moving it around like crazy thus creating opening). A small shield/buckler *has* to be highly mobile to be effective. If it's strapped to your shoulder it has to be small, and it can't really be mobile much.

It did kinda look cool, I'm trying to get a good video to show you.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
Does anyone see a problem with using the improvised weapon rules for a one handed attack with a two handed weapon as seems to be the intent?

Oofta

Legend
Does anyone see a problem with using the improvised weapon rules for a one handed attack with a two handed weapon as seems to be the intent?

Improvised weapons are either close enough to a real weapon to be used as such or does 1d4 damage. Since a two-handed weapon does not resemble a weapon that can be wielded in one hand, at best it does 1d4 damage. If your DM rules that it can be wielded one handed.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
Improvised weapons are either close enough to a real weapon to be used as such or does 1d4 damage. Since a two-handed weapon does not resemble a weapon that can be wielded in one hand, at best it does 1d4 damage. If your DM rules that it can be wielded one handed.

Right, so what's the problem with that that people are trying to solve by ruling some other way?

Oofta

Legend
Right, so what's the problem with that that people are trying to solve by ruling some other way?

Because they want to have their cake (or two handed sword) and eat it too? Because they read/watch too much Zelda manga and want to wield a sword that is obviously too large to use effectively with one hand? Take your pick.

JohnnyNitro

First Post
Appreciate most of the feedback. Not trying to "have my cake and eat it, too", just trying to find unique combo's. Not sure what right-minded individual would accept 1d4 Damage as an Improvised Weapon with a Great Sword in exchange for the +2 AC from the Shield. Everybody has already pointed out how an AC 16-19 is worthless anyways. Really just a question of semantics, trying to push the language...you can still just DROP a shield then, right?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Really just a question of semantics, trying to push the language...you can still just DROP a shield then, right?
After you unstrap it from your arm, sure. Takes an action to unstrap it though (or to strap it back on). See PHB, page 146, Donning and Doffing Armor - shield is the last item on the list.

Last edited:

That should be about it's maximum effectiveness. The player is trying to do something specifically forbidden by the rules. I would probably not even allow the magic modifiers for magical weapons, but you're free to rule how you want.

Remove ads