Two Interesting Magic Item Questions

TheGogmagog

First Post
Back on topic.

Hypersmurf said:
That wasn't his question. He's asking if an intelligent item can activate abilities that are not derived from its intelligent status.

In other words, whether 'their own powers' only include things found under the section 'Intelligent Item Powers', or not.

-Hyp.
I never considered that, but It looks like they are referring to powers derived from the Intelligent Item Powers. I think there have been examples of intelligent items which could activate a long list of spells/day that were far too extensive to be obtained from the table. These might have been former DM creations too, not published.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
TheGogmagog said:
I don't see any rules for standing or sitting on precarious surfaces. If there were some, the broom would have to say it's an exception to that rule, even the brush portion at approx 1'x1' is not enough space to fight effectivly.

Again if there were such precarious surface rules, who says that they would be applicable if the Broom does not state that they are applicable?

There are "Guide With Knees" rules for holding on and sitting on an approx 1'x1' saddle on a horse. If you make the Ride check, then you can use both hands freely. If not, you cannot.

But, the Broom would have to state that you are riding it (as opposed to it carrying you) for these types of rules to apply. Ditto for any precarious surface rules. The Broom already has a weight limitation, precisely because it carries the user, hence, the user is not riding. He's being carried. Similar to how the Carpet of Flying really carries the user and because of that, it too has a weight limitation.

On the other hand, Winged Boots do not carry the user and effectively give the Fly spell to the user, so they do not have a weight limitation.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Archade said:
Piratecat, thanks! Now, would you allow a magic item to activate a non-intelligent power ability itself, or keep them separate?
I have in the past. It's something that I'm hesitant to do, because it really does make the item a lot more powerful. Now I take it on a case-by-case basis, with the default being "no" and making exceptions based on the personality and powers of the item.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
That wasn't his question. He's asking if an intelligent item can activate abilities that are not derived from its intelligent status.

In other words, whether 'their own powers' only include things found under the section 'Intelligent Item Powers', or not.

-Hyp.
I totally missed that as the question because I had not even considered the possibility of separating out the item's abilities like that. So, what's the answer? Since all of the rules on item creation and upgrading of intelligent items are defined, the answer should be obvious, right? :)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
I have in the past. It's something that I'm hesitant to do, because it really does make the item a lot more powerful. Now I take it on a case-by-case basis, with the default being "no" and making exceptions based on the personality and powers of the item.

This is a reasonable approach. Personally, I would never allow it in the first place.

Intelligent items should be part of a plot hook or the equivalent of an NPC addition (or annoyance) or some such. For example, having an Anointed Knight make an Ancestral Relic intelligent in order to make a family heirloom really special is as much of a roleplaying reason as a combat gain reason.

But, using them to get the equivalent of a Swift combat (and in this case personal) spell up should not be the intention of intelligent items.

Remove ads