Tyranny of Dragons

industrygothica

Adventurer
Trying to update Renestrae, but I'm having a bit of difficulty finding her original post. Is there a proper RG thread for this game, or are we just using the OOC thread?

-IG

industrygothica

Adventurer
I've been a bit of a slacker, I know. Thanks for the patience. Anyway, here's Renestrae at level 2. Invisible Castle was down, so rather than rolling for HP I just took the minimum. Seems fair aftermaking you wait on me so long. :)

[SBLOCK=Renestrae, Rogue2]
Name: Renestrae
Sex: Female
Race: Elf
Class/Level: Rogue 2
Alignment: NG
Size: Medium
Type: Humanoid
Speed: 30
Init: +3
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft.
Passive Perception: 14
Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Thieves' cant

DEFENSE
AC: 14(Armor)
HP: 14(2d8 +2)
Saves: Dex, Int
Special:Advantage on saves vs. being charmed; cannot be put to sleep by magic

OFFENSE
Melee: Shortsword +5; 1d6+3 Piercing
Ranged: Shortbow +5; 1d6+3 (80/320) Piercing
Special: Dagger +5; 1d4+3 (thrown, range 20/60)

STATS
Str 10 (+0); Dex 17 (+3); Con 12 (+1); Int 14 (+2); Wis 14 (+2); Cha 8 (-1)

RACIAL FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES: Elf
Darkvision: 60 feet
Keen Senses: Proficiency in Perception skill
Fey Ancestry: Advantage on saves vs. charmed; can't be put to sleep by magic
Trance: Meditate for 4 hours counts as an extended rest
Subrace: High Elf
Elf Weapon Training: Proficiency with longsword, shortsword, longbow, and shortbow
Cantrip: True Strike

BACKGROUND FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES: Urchin
Skill Proficiencies: Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise kit, thieve's tools
Equipment:Small knife, map of Silverymoon

Feature: City Secrets: You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Traits: I hide scraps of food and trinkets away in my pockets. I eat like a pig and have bad manners.
Ideal: All people, rich or poor, deserve respect.
Bond:Leosin Erlanthar, a wandering monk, once saved your life. He's sent urgent word for you to meet him in a small town called Greenest. Looks like it's time to pay off that debt.
Flaw: If I am outnumbered, I will run from a fight.

CLASS FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Proficiencies: Light armor, simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords, thieve's tools.
Saving Throws: Dex, Int

Features:
Expertise: Proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check that uses Perception or thieve's tools
Sneak Attack (+1d6): Once per turn, deal extra damage to one creature I hit with an attack if I have advantage on the attack roll, or if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, not incapacitated, and I don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Thieves' Cant: A secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows me to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. I understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages.
Cunning Action: I can take a bonus action on each turn in combat to use the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

SKILLS (Proficient in bold)
+5 (dex) Acrobatics (Class: Rogue)
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
+2 (int) Arcana
+1 (str) Athletics (Class: Rogue)
-1 (cha) Deception
+2 (int) History
+4 (wis) Insight (Class: Rogue)
-1 (cha) Intimidation
+4 (int) Investigation (Class: Rogue)
+2 (wis) Medicine
+2 (int) Nature
+6 (wis) Perception (Racial: Keen Senses + Class: Expertise)
-1 (cha) Performance
-1 (cha) Persuasion
+2 (int) Religion
+5 (dex) Sleight of Hand (Background: Urchin)
+5 (dex) Stealth (Background: Urchin)
+2 (wis) Survival

COMBAT GEAR
Leather armor
Shortsword
Shortbow
Dagger (x2)
Arrows (x20)

OTHER GEAR
Thieves' tools
Disguise kit
Backpack
Bedroll
Mess kit
Tinderbox
Torch (x10)
Rations (x10 days)
Waterskin
50 ft. hemp rope

MONEY
10gp

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
Renestrae is 102 years old. She is 5"1', and weights about 103 pounds. She has pale skin and dark brown hair. Her eyes are yellow-green with golden flecks.

CHARACTER HISTORY
She chose Renestrae because that’s what they called her. Not the other elves of Silverymoon, but the urchins and castaways in the streets below. She was drawn to them for some reason, and despite her comfortable life among the elves, she chose to spend most of her time living among them. They taught her their ways; how to beg, how to steal, how to run, and how to hide. But mostly they taught her how to live, for despite their impoverishment they had a way of enjoying life that others seemed only to take for granted.

She almost felt out of place among her own family at the celebration of her naming. She was an adult by rights now, and it was her right to choose her adult name. And as an adult, she vowed that all of Silverymoon would know Renestrae as the Champion of the Forsaken. And just as she began to get lost in the thought, Ayan arrived.

“Cal… Renestrae,” he corrected. “A rider has delivered a message for you. He says it’s urgent.” She took the letter, and noted that it was indeed addressed to “Renestrae.”

A half-elven monk named Leosin Erlanthar had saved her from the city watch nearly fifty years ago. She’d been caught by merchants stealing food and clothes, and rather than turn her over to the city watch they were preparing to mete out their own punishment. Leosin stepped in, somehow aware of the situation, and offered coin enough to cover the stolen goods, and a little more to procure the merchants’ silence on the matter. Renestrae swore she’d repay him.

Leosin’s summons was brief and undetailed. “Your assistance is needed. Please meet me in the town of Greenest. Make haste, for time is of great import.”

The forsaken could take care of themselves for a while longer, she decided. She had a debt to repay.

[/SBLOCK]

Brother Dave

First Post
I apologize to everyone for my long absence. For personal reasons I find it necessary to drop out of all of my games indefinitely. Sorry for the inconvenience, all. It has been fun.

Li Shenron

Legend
[MENTION=6749529]Jimmy Disco T[/MENTION] > I will abroad for one week, so feel free to take over Miri Dundragon and roll for her. You can assume she'll be staying on the defensive, not taking any initiative of her own, just follow the party and fight alongside it (either using some cantrip or just fight with the quarterstaff).

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Hi all.

Regarding the combat in the marketplace that's now underway - We have six PCs on one side, two with successful Stealth checks. On the other side, cultists and kobolds.

My first assumption was a surprise round for the two stealthy PCs but actually having read the 5ed Basic Rules I don't think surprise rounds are a thing any more?

Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter. If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t.

So I've assumed that the cultists aren't surprised by the party as a whole (especially as Erevan opened the combat without a Stealth check) and so won't count as surprised. But this feels a bit wonky to me.

Have I got this right?

mips42

Adventurer
The bit that you've quoted is describing a surprise round without using those specific words. You can: A) rule that the cultists were not surprised due to Erevan not using stealth and continue combat with standard initiative; B ) Rule that the cultists WERE surprised and give the pc's their one extra round accordingly, or C) Rule that, while not technically surprised, the cultists weren't expecting the attack and therefore go last in initiative.
If it were my game (and it's not) I would likely choose B or C.

industrygothica

Adventurer
The bit that you've quoted is describing a surprise round without using those specific words. You can: A) rule that the cultists were not surprised due to Erevan not using stealth and continue combat with standard initiative; B ) Rule that the cultists WERE surprised and give the pc's their one extra round accordingly, or C) Rule that, while not technically surprised, the cultists weren't expecting the attack and therefore go last in initiative.
If it were my game (and it's not) I would likely choose B or C.
That. :)

-IG

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
To avoid confusing myself further I'll default to normal initiative for the current combat but will take your advice on board for future surprise rounds.

Thanks for the feedback though, always handy when you're learning a new ruleset.

Remove ads