Tyranny of Dragons

epicbob

Explorer
I don't have the adventure modules but if you need an extra player, I'm willing to join. I have the player's handbook so far and I've built a few characters for practice.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I've been absent from the boards for a while, but I'm back now in hopes of finding a 5th edition game to break in. Sign me up! I'll jump in head first with a cleric, if it's ok. Probably a dwarf, since dwarves are, you know, better than everyone else. :)

-IG

EDIT: After a better review of the thread I see that someone else has already called Cleric. In that case, I'll go with whatever's left over if there's still room in the group, and if you'll have me. Thanks for being willing to give this one a go! -ig

Last edited:

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Looks like this is starting to come together!

So just to do a roll-call, we have:

• X_Mythic
  • Li Shenron
  • mips42
  • dream66
  • epicbob
  • industrygothica

If we're all still in then and happy for me to DM this then shall we call this a full game and get some characters rolled? I wouldn't want more than six players for my first attempt at play by post :).

I know a few people have bandied around character ideas but I don't think anyone's 100% settled on race/class yet. I'll leave it up to you to sort out a balanced party.

Just to recap, as the game will be set in 'early 3rd ed' FR so: no Warlocks, Dragonborn, Tieflings (i.e. nothing not in the ye olde 3.0 edition PHB) - this is more for my sake as I'll be using an old 3rd ed Forgotten Realms campaign guide to help with background on this.

I'm happy for people to use 'full PHB' races and classes but they'll have to give me a lot of info about non-Basic races/classes/spells (and be patient if I ask questions!). I don't really want to use Feats as this will be another non-Basic thing for me to track.

Oh, and I suppose I had better get Hoard of the Dragon Queen...

Edit: Couple of other points - I'm happy with point buy, standard array or rolling for stats. And I'll use 'milestone' levelling instead of XP. Might tweak the milestones a bit as I've heard that this adventure is pretty rough at level 1...!

Last edited:

mips42

Adventurer
Yes, getting the adventure would be good. ;)

Erevan[sblock]
Code:
Name: Erevan Meliamne
Sex: M Race: Wood Elf Class/Level: Fighter 1
Alignment: CN Size: M 
Init +3; Senses Darkvision 60ft; Passive Perception 13

DEFENSE
AC 16 (+3 armor, +3 dex)
HP 20 (1d10 +2 Con)
Saves: Str (+2), Con (+4)
Special Defenses

OFFENSE
Spd 35ft
Melee Arming sword (scimitar) 5ft, one target ((1d6+5 Slashing)
Ranged Longbow +5 (1d8+3 Piercing)

STATISTICS
Str 10 (+0), Dex 17 (+3), Con 14 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 9 (-1), Cha 13 (+2)

Traits: Never tell me the odds.
Ideal: I am loyal to my friends, not ideals. Everyone else can sail the river styx.
Bond: Some I loved died because of a mistake I made. It won't happen again.
Flaw: I am easily enticed by the promise of information.

Skills Mark Proficient either by bolding or changing 0 to @
Mod  Attribute Name of Skill
+5 @ (dex) Acrobatics
-1 0 (wis) Animal Handling
+1 0 (int) Arcana
+0 0 (str) Athletics
+4 @ (cha) Deception
+1 0 (int) History
+1 @ (wis) Insight
+2 0 (cha) Intimidation
+1 0 (int) Investigation
-1 0 (wis) Medicine
+1 0 (int) Nature
+1 @ (wis) Perception
+2 0 (cha) Performance
+2 0 (cha) Persuasion
+1 0 (int) Religion
+3 0 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+5 @ (dex) Stealth
-1 0 (wis) Survival

Languages: Common, Elvish, Thieves cant

Racial Abilities: 
-Darkvision 60'
-Trained in perception
-Advantage on save v. charm
-Immune to magical sleep
-You can attempt to hide even in light cover.

Background Abilities:
-Specialty=Smuggler
-Criminal contact

Class features:
- Dueling style +2 to damage while wielding no other weapons
- Second wind: use a bonus action on your turn to regain 1d10 hp per fighter level once per short rest.
- Actions Surge

Combat Gear:
Leather armor
Small steel shield
Arming sword
Longbow
arrows

Other Gear:
Set of Dice
Crowbar
Dark clothes
Belt pouch
>Diplomats pack
small chest
2 map cases
Set of Fine clothes
Quill & Ink
Lamp & 2 flasks oil
5 days rations
Tinderbox
Waterskin
50' rope
Letter to a party where a murder took place.

Money: 10gp

Description: 5' 6", green-copper skin, brown eys and black hair with a puckered scar on his left cheek.

History:
I didn't start out to be a criminal. But, then, who does? My family was powerful and used my talents to trade in secrets and 'obtaining' items wherever and from whoever they could. It got to the point where I enjoyed the thrill and the challenge.
 Then I met Althea. The daughter of a wealthy merchant I was supposed to be spying on to steal a valuable statuette. We met several times and found that we liked each others' company. I guess humans would call it 'dating'.
 Then the news came down that the merchant was going to be hosting a grand costume ball. I was to attend, steal the statuette and replace it with a false plaster replica. I never expected it was a trap.
 I attended in my finest clothes, wined and wooed as I was expected and danced with Althea as often as I could. During the ball I slipped into the room where the statuette was kept and replaced it with the false one and went to make my escape.
 Back in the ballroom, I was accosted by guards and began to fight my way out.
 During the fray, Althea was struck by a stray arrow.
 I was captured and thrown in a cage where I was beaten and given a scar across my left cheek as a reminder of past wrongs.
 Once I was released, I learned that Althea had died of her wounds. I left the 'family business' that day and keep the ball invitation to this day as a reminder of arrogance and carelessness.
 Lately, though, there's been a vision during meditation. A simple sign saying "Greenest". I feel a pull to find this place, and perhaps redemption.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

epicbob

Explorer
If rolling for stats is used, I would recommend rolling up one array of stats that will be shared by every player. Mostly to avoid imbalances within the party.

As for classes, I'd like to play a Sorcerer. I've been meaning to try spellcasters for a while, now.

Edit : Forgot to ask; do we send you a copy of our character sheet or do we post it in this topic like mips42 just did?

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
I was last to the party, so I'll wait on character selection and take whatever's needed to fill out the group. If no one objects, I'd rather just use the form-fillable pdf at Wizard's, and upload it as an attachment in an RG thread. Seems simpler. Also, if it comes to a vote, my choice is to use the 8 10 12 13 14 15 array. Or one common set of rolled numbers, that's a nice touch.

-IG

dream66_

First Post
[sblock]
Code:
Kerri Greycastle

Female Human(Chondathan) Outlander Druid 1
5'2" 152 lbs.; Hair: Black; Eyes: Green
AL: N; Lang: Common, Druidic, Elven, Goblin
Personality: I'm always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes, accidentally, breaking them.
Ideal: Change; Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
Bond: An injury to the unspoiled wilderness of my home is an injury to me.
Flaw: I am slow to trust member of other races, tribes, and societies.

Str: 10(+0) Dex: 14(+2) Con: 15(+2) Int(S): 12(+1) Wis(S): 16(+3) Cha: 8(-1)
Size: M; Speed: 30; AC: 13; Init: +2; HP: 10/10; Hit Dice: 1d8; Passive Wisdom: 13;

Attacks: Scimitar +4 melee (1d6+2 slashing), 

Proficiency(+2): Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears, Herbalism kit, drum,

Skills:  Animal Handling, Athletics, Nature, Survival

Druid Features: Druidic Language, Spellcasting

Background Feature:
Wanderer: You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you.  In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Equipment:
a wooden shield
a scimitar
leather armor
an explorer's pack
	backpack
	bedroll
	mess kit
	tinderbox
	10 torches
	10 days rations
	waterskin
	50 ft hemp rope
druidic focus
A staff
a hunting trap
a trophy from an animal she killed, (antlers in her hair)
a set of traveler's clothes, 
a belt pouch containing 10gp
bright green feather

Spellcasting:
Cantrips
Druidcraft
Poison Spray

1st
Animal Friendship
Entangle
Healing Word
Thunderwave
[/sblock]

Haven't got backstory all up yet but here's the stats. Druidcraft and Entangle are in the Horde of the dragon queen web suppliment, and I think all other spells are in basic.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
mips42 and dream66 - have you used the standard array, or rolled stats? If you've gone for standard array then perhaps everyone should follow suit to ensure balance?

By all means post all of the characters in this thread.

So far I think we've got a sorceror, druid, and fighter covering the arcane, divine, and stabby roles.

The adventure is released over here in the UK tomorrow and has been pre-ordered!

Remove ads