UA Monks Introduces the Kensai and Tranquility Traditions

The Kensei was pretty much exactly how I expected/wanted it to be. With the exception of the bludgeoning damage. A d4 that doesn't scale? I hate d4s, and especially at higher levels it's hardly worth anything. Especially since as a monk, I could just use my bonus action to make an unarmed attack and use monk damage dice for that. I've never been a fan of pacifist PCs, so the tranquil monk...

The Kensei was pretty much exactly how I expected/wanted it to be. With the exception of the bludgeoning damage. A d4 that doesn't scale? I hate d4s, and especially at higher levels it's hardly worth anything. Especially since as a monk, I could just use my bonus action to make an unarmed attack and use monk damage dice for that.

I've never been a fan of pacifist PCs, so the tranquil monk isn't my cup of tea. I understand others may feel differently though.

bganon

Explorer
I think the intent was very much not for kensei weapons to be monk weapons, otherwise they wouldn't have needed to spell out the Dex/Str thing again, and the pummel ability would be almost redundant. The whole path could've been "pick three martial weapons, boom they're monk weapons now", but it quite deliberately was not.

But the subclass really reads like the assumption was also that kensei could still make meaningful unarmed strikes, which is only possible if Martial Arts is still functioning - i.e. that the kensei is unarmed or wielding a monk weapon.

Honestly, I think either the intent was a very narrow parsing of "holding" vs "wielding", or the designers didn't sort through all the rules interactions very carefully. Given that the latter has happened before with the monk...

phantomK9

Explorer
Ok, it took a minute to really get through these. Like the concepts but Kensei especially is very fiddly with the language.

Path of the Kensei
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you learn to extend your knowledge of the martial arts beyond the standard array of monk weapons.
You gain the following benefits:
• You gain proficiency with three martial weapons of your choice. A martial weapon is considered a kensei weapon for you if you’re proficient with it.
So interesting. I'm thinking that the three martial weapons are "kensei" weapons is odd language leading one to believe that maybe they aren't also Monk weapons. Strange wording. Although a Kensei is still a Monk and so maybe a Kensei weapon is just technically a subset of Monk weapons just for the Kensei. Also, the phrase "is considered a kensei weapon for you if you're proficient with it" leads me to believe that maybe that if you multiclass as Fighter or take the Weapon Training Feat, the list of weapons that are now Kensei weapons for you can really increase and thus isn't strickly limited to just the three weapons that you get proficiency with at 3rd level. Honestly in just two sentences there is a lot to unpack.

• Whenever you wield a kensei weapon, you choose whether to use Dexterity or Strength for the attack and damage rolls of the weapon, and you choose whether to use your Martial Arts damage die in place of the weapon’s damage die.
So allowing you to choose the Martial Arts damage die seems to back up the idea that a Kensei weapon is still also a Monk weapon. But the Kensei gets the addition benefit of being able to choose Strength or Dex to hit. Since the rule of what consitutes a Monk weapon does rely on the Finesse property (at least I don't think it does) then this shouldn't be too problematic. But it would be the rare Monk who has a high Strength and Dex because Dex is used for so many things and gives the Monk a high AC....

• When you take the Attack action on your turn and hit a target with a kensei weapon, you can use a bonus action to pummel the target, dealing an additional 1d4 bludgeoning damage to that target and to any other target you hit with the weapon as part of the Attack.
So, per PHB Monk, a Monk can make more attacks per round than usual as long as weilding a Monk weapon or is unarmed. If one believes that Kensei weapons are mearly a subset of Monk weapons, then the Kensei could concievably, drop in the middle of a crowd, make multiple attacks against each of them using one of the standard Monk weapon/unarmed attacks. Then after all the standard attacks are done, go ahead and spend the bonus action to do an additional 1d4 to everyone that was hit at part of the standard attack. Am I reading that right? I think so. The "Attack action" actually includes all that attacks that you are allowed to take, you take ONE Attack action and get multiple distinct attack die roles as part of it. So kind of like a whirlwind ability after the fact.

• If you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action on your turn and are holding a kensei weapon, you can use that weapon to defend yourself. You gain a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn while you are not incapacitated and the weapon is in your hand.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, you could make your normal attacks using your kensei weapon and then spend your ki to make a bonus unarmed attack action, you could then gain the benefit of the +2 AC. This is another one that seems really weirdly worded.

One with the Blade
At 6th level, you extend your ki into the weapons you hold, granting you the following benefits.
Magic Weapons. Your attacks with your kensei weapons count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
Sure. Makes perfect sense. So not all monk weapons or unarmed strikes get this, just your kensei weapons.

Precise Strike. You can focus your attention on a single target in battle to understand and
overcome its defenses. As a bonus action, pick one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next weapon attack you make against that creature during the current turn adds double your proficiency bonus to the attack roll, rather than your normal proficiency bonus. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Not sure if I like this one or not. While it doesn't seem too powerful for a 6th level ability, it also really doesn't seem all that useful either. Especially since you only get one per rest. You basically give up your bonus action (which is at a premium considering all the other stuff that takes bonus actions) to get a +3 to attack. Some games that would be huge, some games not so much. I think I'd like it better if it also gave the bonus to damage. Or allowed you to spend Ki for bonus damage dice (making it very similar to a smite) *shrug*

Sharpen the Blade
At 11th level, you gain the ability to augment your weapons with the strength of your ki. As a bonus action, you can expend up to 3 ki points to grant a weapon you touch a bonus to attack and damage rolls while you wield it. The bonus equals the number of ki points you spent. This bonus lasts for 1 minute.
So at 11th level you can spend up to 3 Ki (which are a precious resource judging by how our group's Monk needs them) to give any weapon you touch (and then subsequently wield) a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal the number you spend. So going for broke you spend 3 Ki and get +3 attack and +3 damage for 1 minute (10 rounds). Ok, that actually sounds pretty good. Not sure if it is overpowered for 11th level, but I think I like it.

Unerring Accuracy
At 17th level, your mastery of weapons grants you extraordinary accuracy. On each of your turns, you can reroll one weapon attack roll you make that misses.
Seems like a good ability. Hard to judge if is it powered right. Once per turn reroll of a miss for free. Not bad.

Maybe its just me but I feel like the Kensei should have the Fighting Spirit ability that was given to the Samurai on the Fighter UA. Maybe that would be too much.....

I just have to say that I was quite pleasantly surprised by this week's subclasses.

I have been unimpressed by most of the subclasses (though there was usually at least one I liked each week). My major complaint is that many of the subclasses are pure bloat with no real D&D history behind them, nor even much non-D&D fantasy/myth/history. They are pure innovations, which are exactly what we don't need in 5e at this point. Why, you ask? Because there are plenty of traditional D&D things that are waiting to be implemented. Do those first and then feel free to experiment (within reason). So anytime I see something that has neither a D&D tradition, or at least a strong fantasy/mythic/historical tradition, it irks me.

So this week, we get the kensai! Yay! It's a traditional class from Oriental Adventures since 1e, and it represents a cool non-D&D concept. Double win. I'll give my critique on the mechanics in the survey, but I'm delighted with the concept.

The Way of Tranquility doesn't have a strong D&D tradition (it has some), but the concept of the peaceful monk has plenty of great non-D&D tradition, so it's an excellent inclusion.

With the 5 monk subclasses we already had in the game, I was expecting there wasn't much left for them to do but make up some bloat just to give us option (like I felt about some of the other classes), but instead they surprised me with some great contributions. (By the way, I am a big fan of 5e and I generally approve of the way the design team has done things--I'm just not a fan of innovative bloat.)

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
Seems to me you have two separate and intersecting groups of weapons. First ou have Monk Weapons as defined by PH. Then you have Kensei weapons that are Martial Weapons you are proficient with. Monk weapons should still work as Monk Weapons (such unarmed attack). Then you get the subset of weapons that are Marital and Monk Weapons (well Short swords) that qualify as both Kensei and Monk and would get the benefits of both with the exception of where they would stack. Assuming that Extra Attack doesn't require using the same attack, you could Great Sword + unarmed kick and still use the standard Monk Bonus Action attack and get the +2 AC. Note the flurry only requires taking the attack action and isn't specific to monk weapons with the unarmed attacks being done as Monk weapons.

I see a bit about how this works with GWF weapons and such, but I'm thinking a high level Kensei with a Hand Crossbow and CM+SS getting kind of crazy.

Edit: Oops, forgot the "only" part under Monk Weapons. Really makes Short Swords looking good as a defensive Monk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosmancer

Legend
About the Kensai I think people are mis-evaluating the d4. It doesn't have to be *A* d4. It's a d4 to every creature you hit during the attack action. Could be 2 creatures fairly easily. Wish the ranger's whirlwind attack was an Attack action. Also there is no additional to-hit roll required, it's guaranteed damage.

Yeah, it' still a freakin' d4, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

It can be two creatures, but that is it, and if you attack the same creature twice it is only 1d4

Compared to flurry of blows by level 5, you can hit 4 creatures for 1d6+mod, or one creature for 4d6+modx4, or any combination.

The Kensei is only better in that it is automatic damage, but the base monk ability to bonus action unarmed attack is better damage from the beginning (1d4+mod vs 1d4)

Wait, am I wrong on thinking that a Kensai could wield a greatsword/greataxe/polearm with Dexterity, take GWM, and use their double proficiency bonus to compensate for the -5 to become a surprising damage beast even dumping Strength?

Nope, they could totally do that. And make it a +3 greatsword while they are at it

If Kensai all are monks and those Martial Weapons that the Kensai have profiency in count as Kensai weapons, then by definition they ARE Monk weapons.

Not neccesarily, any monk can wield a greatclub, but greatclubs are not monk weapons, neither are any ranged weapons. Monk weapons have a very specific criteria and Kensei doesn’t say they are monk weapons, only kensei weapons which can be interpreted to be an entirely separate category.

Really, if they are monk weapons it causes issues with the +2 to AC being almost always active and the bonus action pummel being nearly worthless

If they aren’t it means you’ll almost never activate the +2 AC and the Open Fist monk could be significantly better than you in a melee fight at high levels (unless GWM) because the flurry of blows after a stunning strike is just so much better than what this Kensei can pull off.

It seems to lose either way.

maceochaid

Explorer
I always thought of Kensei's as being devoted to one particular weapon. I also wonder how helpful is it to have 3 Kensei weapons. Outside of a ranged and a melee weapon. I could see maybe having a bludgeoning weapon on hand for a skeleton or two . . . but could the Kensei have been built with a kind of Storm Herald Barbarian style where each feature had more of a weapon group improvement demonstrating your expanding devotion to one particular weapon?

That said, I really do want to write up some fluff around the Elven Kensei's who are masters of longswords and longbows.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Fighter: Hey I hear your a pacifist?
Monk: Yes, I abhor violence.
Fighter: Want to come hobomurdering with me?
Monk: Sure, sounds like the perfect career choice for me.

Remove ads

Remove ads