• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UA Monks Introduces the Kensai and Tranquility Traditions

The Kensei was pretty much exactly how I expected/wanted it to be. With the exception of the bludgeoning damage. A d4 that doesn't scale? I hate d4s, and especially at higher levels it's hardly worth anything. Especially since as a monk, I could just use my bonus action to make an unarmed attack and use monk damage dice for that. I've never been a fan of pacifist PCs, so the tranquil monk...

The Kensei was pretty much exactly how I expected/wanted it to be. With the exception of the bludgeoning damage. A d4 that doesn't scale? I hate d4s, and especially at higher levels it's hardly worth anything. Especially since as a monk, I could just use my bonus action to make an unarmed attack and use monk damage dice for that.

I've never been a fan of pacifist PCs, so the tranquil monk isn't my cup of tea. I understand others may feel differently though.

dagger

Adventurer
Now that Mearls has spoken again, can someone break it down as you would for a four year old? What can a 3rd level monk with a Longbow do?

Thank you!!!!!

dagger

Adventurer
@Likewise45 [MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls So to clarify, any time Martial Arts mentions "monk weapon" it should also say "or kensai weapon" as well?

He answers
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls
@Likewise45 yes

Valetudo

Adventurer
Now that Mearls has spoken again, can someone break it down as you would for a four year old? What can a 3rd level monk with a Longbow do?

Thank you!!!!!
Im not 100% sure, but Im guessing they meant for kenseis to be melee focused. I personally dont have a problem if the kensei chooses longbow as one of his three martials. But I dont believe any monk could use their things on a bow.

dagger

Adventurer
Jeremy Crawford
‏@JeremyECrawford Jeremy Crawford Retweeted Tyler Bechstein
It's funny you ask. We already have a different version of the kensei in mind. That's the nature of design: iterate, iterate, iterate.

kalil

Explorer
If they mean (a), why write (b)? It is not that long of a document. One read-through by someone who knows RAI before publishing maybe?

Xeviat

Hero
I really like the Tranquility Monk too. Am I in the minority?

But is it just me? The tranquility monk is not the far off from The Way of the Open Hand? They both get a healing feature. They both get Sanctuary. Just at different levels.

Lots of folks are asking for the tranquility monk to have some sort of Non-violent combat action. But wouldn't that be too similar to the "Open Hand Technique." You would just be adding another similar Way of the Open Hand feature to the Tranquility Monk.

I like the Tranquility Monk. I played a Vow of Poverty/Vow of Nonviolence quarterstaff wielding monk back in 3E; I liked him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If they mean (a), why write (b)? It is not that long of a document. One read-through by someone who knows RAI before publishing maybe?

Actually, they need to do the opposite, really. Too often, someone that knows what a piece of text is *supposed* to convey will re-read said text with the intended meaning in mind, and miss any errors or confusion within the text. Instead, what you really need is to get someone (or, better yet, multiple someones) unfamiliar with the text is trying to convey to read it and ask question about things that are unclear, wonky, and cause confusion.

But that's what they've been doing with these Unearthed Arcana articles—with us playing the role of the reader unfamiliar with the intended meaning.

Litania

First Post
So, now that they clarified that Kensai weapons ARE monk weapons, what shenanigans can we pull off with this subclass?
I am still dubious about it being worth it, except at early levels.
As early as level 5 you'll be able to do one or two great sword attacks and one or two unarmed (pretty strong) OR two great sword and pummel for extra 1d4 damage. This is so subpar in comparison I am not sure why it's there.
Pummel could be useful if your kensai weapon is a bow, in which case, when you fight at range, you will not always be able to punch things nearby. If you're spreading the damage to multiple foes it might even be more damage than hex, since it applies twice.
One with the blade's accuracy boost costs you your bonus action and therefore seems to be mathematically less valuable than one or two extra attacks. It benefits you only if you're using great weapon fighter or sharpshooter on a high AC monster.
Eventually martial art base damage overtakes most weapons' base die, rendering the advantage of kensai weapons nill. At high level feats are the only things that add any value to using weapons instead of unarmed attacks. I suppose you still get the AC bonus, but stil...

Could a polearm master build bring something to the table?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Could a polearm master build bring something to the table?
I don't think so...the main offensive benefit of PM is being able to get that free bonus action attack with a mod attached, but monks already have that with martial arts. GWM seems like the best route in terms of offense, maybe combining with Stunning Strike to get advantage for the -5/+10 attack.

Remove ads

Remove ads