• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UA Rogue Variant

sdt

First Post
The rules in the UA SRD for many of the Variant Classes are written very simply. The UA Rogue gets the fighter bonus feats: Should I infer that a 4th level UA Rogue can take Weapon Specialization (without the Fighter requirements) or is that too much to assume.

rgard

Adventurer
sdt said:
The rules in the UA SRD for many of the Variant Classes are written very simply. The UA Rogue gets the fighter bonus feats: Should I infer that a 4th level UA Rogue can take Weapon Specialization (without the Fighter requirements) or is that too much to assume.

I'd allow it. The inference is reasonable.

TheGogmagog

First Post
rgard said:
I'd allow it. The inference is reasonable.
I think this reply points out that it's not explicit. It would be up to your DM. Technically it doesn't say it does open up all fighter only feats, so I don't think it does. Whether it's reasonable or if I'd allow it is another.

TheGogmagog said:
I think this reply points out that it's not explicit. It would be up to your DM. Technically it doesn't say it does open up all fighter only feats, so I don't think it does. Whether it's reasonable or if I'd allow it is another.

I'd agree that it does not. It doesn't say "the rogue is treated as a fighter for purposes of feats." It says he gains "bonus feats (as a fighter)". If it meant for the rogue to be able to take fighter-only feats, I believe it would have said so.

All that said, I don't think it would be terribly unbalancing to allow it; I just think it'd be a house rule.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I don't see any way in the rules to assume it would work that way. It says simply you get feats like a fighter. Do you get the BAB and saves also? How about the armor proficieneies?

No, you are not a fighter. So no, no weapon specialization.

Thurbane

First Post
I've seen this come up a few times before, and the general consensus is that the UA Rogue variant does not qualify for Weapon Specialization.

Arkhandus

First Post
The UA Rogue variant does not qualify for Weapon Specialization. It's on their bonus feat list only because it's on the Fighter's, but they still have to meet the feat prerequisites first. And they don't count as Fighters for purposes of meeting feat prerequisites.

Weapon Specialization said:
Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, fighter level 4th.

rgard

Adventurer
SDT, are you the DM for this or the player? As a DM, I would have the rogue get to a +4 BAB before taking it, but I would let him/her take it. If you are the player, run it by your DM, it's not unbalancing.

In fact, I think I'll roll up an NPC martial rogue tonight and give it to the character.

Thanks,
Rich

Li Shenron

Legend
sdt said:

I think that would require to actually change WS the feat.

It's a feature of WS to require 4 levels of fighter.

It's a feature of "fighter bonus feats" to include WS, but that doesn't remove prerequisites...

Klaus

First Post
On a related note, how do you handle out those bonus feats? At Fighter intervals (1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20) or a bonus feat whenever sneak attack would otherwise be gained (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19)?

Remove ads