• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UA: Your Opinions on the Metamagic Variant?

Drow Jones

First Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether to use a meatmagic variant from WotC's Unearthed Arcana. As spellcasters are already pretty powerful, I'm afraid this change might shift them into the brokenland (tm), so I decided to ask the opinions of the rules savvy ENWorld members before making my final decision.

The rule in question can be found in UA, page 152: Spontaneus Metamagic - Extra Spell Slots. I'll recap the basics of the rule below since it's OGC.

The rule basics:
------------------------------------------
- Using metamagic does not raise the level of the spell slot you need to use in order to cast the spell.
- Instead you use more spell slots from the same level as the spell you're casting with metamagic. A maximised 1st lvl spell would use 1+3 1st lvl slots to cast.
- A metamagic spell does not require preparation (when used by those who prepare spells) or increase the casting time (when used by spontaneous spellcasters).

I have listed my thoughts about the rule below.

The good:
- Metamagic is currently too expensive (many D&D designers agree with this). This variant gives them more bang for a buck and they will be used more frequently.
- Metamagic Rods are slightly less effective.
- Silent Spell might get picked. :)
- This favors sorcerers, because they have more slots to use than wizards. (IMHO sorcerers need a little boost when compared to wizard.)

The bad:
- Unfortunately this also favors clerics and druids, who really don't need a boost in anything.
- Rings of Wizardry are much more effective. (should cost more?)

Additional options I have considered (perhaps for spontaneus casters only):
- Using spell slot level shifting from Monte Cook's AU.
- Allowing the expenditure of higher level slots. --> I only have 3 slots left on 1st lvl, but I absolutely want to maximise one of them, so I sacrifice 1+2 first lvl slots + 1 second lvl slot.

My questions:
1) Has anyone played with this variant yet? How was it?
2) Are there any additional rules questions/points I should tackle before using the variant?
3) Are the additional options above balanced/too much?

Thanks for your pointers in advance! :)

- DJ

Silveras

First Post
Drow Jones said:
The rule in question can be found in UA, page 152: Spontaneus Metamagic - Extra Spell Slots. I'll recap the basics of the rule below since it's OGC.

The rule basics:
- Using metamagic does not raise the level of the spell slot you need to use in order to cast the spell.
- Instead you use more spell slots from the same level as the spell you're casting with metamagic. A maximised 1st lvl spell would use 1+3 1st lvl slots to cast.
- A metamagic spell does not require preparation (when used by those who prepare spells) or increase the casting time (when used by spontaneous spellcasters).
Additional options I have considered (perhaps for spontaneus casters only):
- Using spell slot level shifting from Monte Cook's AU.
- Allowing the expenditure of higher level slots. --> I only have 3 slots left on 1st lvl, but I absolutely want to maximise one of them, so I sacrifice 1+2 first lvl slots + 1 second lvl slot.

Small nit-picky thing: the option to use a higher level spell slot is already in the variant. Your summary is wrong; your second bullet point should read "equal or higher level".

I am considering using the same variant, and for mostly the same reasons. I am also using All Divine Casters are Spontaneous. I think I will be going with the "combined variant".

The combined variant makes a spellcaster pay with extra slots as described here, but also limits the spell to which the metamagic can be applied. The highest level spell to which you can apply the metamagic is one of a level basically equal to or less than your highest level of spells - the normal cost increase of the metamagic.

Silent Spell, for example, normally raises the spell's level by 1. Therefore, you could only use it for a spell whose level is 1 or more levels below the maximum level of spells you can use.

Something else to consider is that a couple of feats in Tome & Blood (one of which has a 3.5 version in the Miniatures Handbook) add "0" to the spell level - and thus presumably cost "0" extra slots. That is fine when the spells *do* take extra time or must be prepared ahead of time, but might not be so reasonable under these variants.

Drow Jones

First Post
Silveras said:
Small nit-picky thing: the option to use a higher level spell slot is already in the variant. Your summary is wrong; your second bullet point should read "equal or higher level".

So it is. :uhoh: Mea culpa.

Silveras said:
The combined variant makes a spellcaster pay with extra slots as described here, but also limits the spell to which the metamagic can be applied. The highest level spell to which you can apply the metamagic is one of a level basically equal to or less than your highest level of spells - the normal cost increase of the metamagic.

I kind of like the idea of a low-level caster blowing everything he has in one big bang... The metamagic feats are still expensive to use, but using this variant you could take for example Maximise Spell at first level and get some use out of it before 7th level.

Silveras said:
Something else to consider is that a couple of feats in Tome & Blood (one of which has a 3.5 version in the Miniatures Handbook) add "0" to the spell level - and thus presumably cost "0" extra slots. That is fine when the spells *do* take extra time or must be prepared ahead of time, but might not be so reasonable under these variants.

The only one I can remember is Eschew Materials and that gives no problems. Thanks for the tip though. I'll check my feat lists for +0 metamagics.

- DJ

LightPhoenix

First Post
Drow Jones said:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether to use a meatmagic variant from WotC's Unearthed Arcana. As spellcasters are already pretty powerful, I'm afraid this change might shift them into the brokenland (tm), so I decided to ask the opinions of the rules savvy ENWorld members before making my final decision.

Personally, I doubt it will make them any more powerful. Personally, just off the top of my head, this actually looks like it penalizes metamagic more than the original system. Four spell slots (1+3) for a maximized first level spell? Doesn't particularly seem like a good trade-off to me. I'd rather have cast a regular magic missle four times. But, if it works for you, that's what matters.

Drow Jones

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Personally, I doubt it will make them any more powerful. Personally, just off the top of my head, this actually looks like it penalizes metamagic more than the original system. Four spell slots (1+3) for a maximized first level spell? Doesn't particularly seem like a good trade-off to me. I'd rather have cast a regular magic missle four times. But, if it works for you, that's what matters.

Don't forget the added benefits:
- Using it on-the-fly (no preparation/increased casting time).
- not needing a high caster level in order to use the feat (7th lvl for a 4th lvl slot in this case).

You are right, this variant does use many spell slots. That's why I thought of adding the slot shifting rule from mr. Cook's AU. However, I still worry that if I add even more versatility I'll break the rule, which to me seems already a bit stronger than the standard.

Thanks for the feedback LightPhoenix!

- DJ

Remove ads