Ultimate Guide to Ambiguous/Problem Rules

Virago said:
Blah, I'll try again.

Monks use of a shield

Finally, the traditional concept of an oriental-style monk includes the use of shields (but only small ones).

Really? :) Of all the martial arts movies I've seen, you could say spears, swords, staves, clubs, benches, tobacco pipes, chopsticks, rice bowls, oars, coins ... but shields? I don't recall ever having seen a shield in any martial arts film, much less a shield being used by a monk type character. Unless you count tea trays, chairs, strips of cloth, etc. ;)

To be blunt, what you see in the movies is NOT the only determinant of the traditional concept of the oriental monk. The rattan shield is a relatively common weapon in the kung fu systems of southern china. Its use is taught in several forms, usually paired with a butterfly knife. I've got (somewhere) video footage of a 70+ year old kung fu master demonstrating it on stage. Videos teaching the form are also available from Wing Lam Enterprise. www.WLE.com. There is also the twin tiger shields, which are a combined shield/weapon that covers both arms in a strange, almost anime robot way. Further, several forms of Silat teach the use of a hide shield paired with knife or stick.

I have a picture or two to back up these points. If you want to see them I'll post them here.

I'm the one who first brought up these "monk" shields in another thread, so I feel compelled to defend this particular points conclusion in Artoomis' excellent ( and much appreciated ) project.

Pazu

First Post
Arcane Runes Press said:

To be blunt, what you see in the movies is NOT the only determinant of the traditional concept of the oriental monk. The rattan shield is a relatively common weapon in the kung fu systems of southern china. Its use is taught in several forms, usually paired with a butterfly knife. I've got (somewhere) video footage of a 70+ year old kung fu master demonstrating it on stage. Videos teaching the form are also available from Wing Lam Enterprise. www.WLE.com. There is also the twin tiger shields, which are a combined shield/weapon that covers both arms in a strange, almost anime robot way. Further, several forms of Silat teach the use of a hide shield paired with knife or stick.

<snip>

Hi --

There's also the small tortoise-shell shield (timbe), often used in conjunction with a short, stabbing spear (rochin). Folks who study martial arts based on Okinawan traditions sometimes learn this technique.

And, of course, it was recently featured in an episode of _Rurouni Kenshin_, which increases its coolness factor! :)

-- Pazu

Pazu said:

Hi --

There's also the small tortoise-shell shield (timbe), often used in conjunction with a short, stabbing spear (rochin). Folks who study martial arts based on Okinawan traditions sometimes learn this technique.

And, of course, it was recently featured in an episode of _Rurouni Kenshin_, which increases its coolness factor! :)

-- Pazu

Cool. The timbe, huh? I learn something new every day. :)

Virago

First Post
Monk Wonks

To be blunt, what you see in the movies is NOT the only determinant of the traditional concept of the oriental monk.

Honestly, I lump your arguments in with people who read the Nordic Sagas and make conclusions about how the Barbarian must work in D&D.

That's great information, but your specialized knowledge doesn't really apply to the grand archetype. And in this case the "kung fu" monk is a well-established archetype. If you think that shields are part of the D&D monk archetype's repertoire, you're probably just blinded by your superior knowledge. Which doesn't apply in this case, to be blunt.

You missed the point of my argument which is that shields are way down the list of items that D&D monks can't use but probably should be able to, and far less questionably than the core rules 3E shields.

"Some quite lesser-known forms of martial arts involve the use of little shields or gauntlet/buckler things" is a weak, weak argument for "monks in D&D core rules should be able to use medieval-style shields." Make up stats for a rattan shield and your buckler gauntlets and work them into your house rule projects where monks actually have proficiency to use them, too.

Forget shields. Which obscure martial art is going to give me Timeless Body and Tongue of the Sun and Moon, that's what I want to know :)

Virago said:
To be blunt, what you see in the movies is NOT the only determinant of the traditional concept of the oriental monk.

Honestly, I lump your arguments in with people who read the Nordic Sagas and make conclusions about how the Barbarian must work in D&D.

That's great information, but your specialized knowledge doesn't really apply to the grand archetype. And in this case the "kung fu" monk is a well-established archetype. If you think that shields are part of the D&D monk archetype's repertoire, you're probably just blinded by your superior knowledge. Which doesn't apply in this case, to be blunt.

You missed the point of my argument which is that shields are way down the list of items that D&D monks can't use but probably should be able to, and far less questionably than the core rules 3E shields.

"Some quite lesser-known forms of martial arts involve the use of little shields or gauntlet/buckler things" is a weak, weak argument for "monks in D&D core rules should be able to use medieval-style shields." Make up stats for a rattan shield and your buckler gauntlets and work them into your house rule projects where monks actually have proficiency to use them, too.

Forget shields. Which obscure martial art is going to give me Timeless Body and Tongue of the Sun and Moon, that's what I want to know :)

I make no claims on how a monk "must" work. I'm not "blinded" by my superior knowledge. If you want to think I'm a "Monk Wonk", I don't care one whit.

"You missed the point of my argument which is that shields are way down the list of items that D&D monks can't use but probably should be able to, and far less questionably than the core rules 3E shields."

If this was your point you sure hid it well. You said you never saw a monk use a shield in a movie, as though that somehow invalidated the statement that it was part of the archetype.

"Some quite lesser-known forms of martial arts involve the use of little shields or gauntlet/buckler things" is a weak, weak argument for "monks in D&D core rules should be able to use medieval-style shields."

First, don't make up your own statements and put quotes around them. THAT is a "weak, weak argument". I said, exactly: " The rattan shield is a relatively common weapon in the kung fu systems of southern china." RELATIVELY COMMON is a far cry from quite-lesser known. For goodness sakes, you can by videos teaching Rattan Shield kung fu forms from a kung fu master in California.

Second, the katana is mechanically identical to the masterwork bastard sword. Identical. In fact, in the DMG, they say to simply call your bastard sword a katana in asian settings. Why then are the shields in the core rules restricted to "medieval-style shields"? A rattan shield and a buckler shield would be mechanically identical for game purposes.

Third, I find it ironic that you think that the "kung fu" monk is a well-established archetype" and that shields don't apparently fit with it, when BOTH shields I used as examples are taken from extremely well known KUNG FU systems born in the SHAOLIN MONK temple in :):):)ien provence.

Frankly, I don't think monks should begin the game with shield proficiency. But I see no harm in a monk who spends one of his relatively few feats to get it suffering no further penalties for its use.

Finally, Jack Lalane can teach you to have a Timeless Body. Half the world's martial arts are designed to keep you spry into your old age. Wing Lam, the teacher in California, is 50+ and moves like a 20 year old. The master I mentioned in my first post is 70+ and can do the splits in any direction, cartwheel, roll and handspring with ease. There's another 70+ Hung gar kung fu master who looks like a grandpa head mounted on Mike Tyson's body.

Artoomis

First Post
Before this whole argument on whether the traditional monk used shields gets any MORE heated, let's keep in mind that this was only an incidental point anyway. It was just sort of like this:

As I read the rules a shield is allowed for a monk (they keep their abilities). By the way, the traditional monk used shields, so it kinds makes sense, too.

Even if you want to claim that no monk ever used a shield, it still doesn't change the fact that, as I read the rules, a shield is not prohibited to the monk in the same way that armor is.

Better? I'll take a look at my exact phrasing in the Guide and make sure it tracks with what I just wrote (later, though; I've got a lot of work to do for the next update - I'm not sure when I'll get to it).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't believe the monk in the PHB can use a shield without losing their special abilities. A shield is armor. It's as simple as that.

I can easily see a monk variant class or monk prestige class that allows the use of a shield, just as I can see any number of monk-like prestige classes that try to simulate real-world martial art styles.

Artoomis

First Post
Caliban said:
I don't believe the monk in the PHB can use a shield without losing their special abilities. A shield is armor. It's as simple as that.

I can easily see a monk variant class or monk prestige class that allows the use of a shield, just as I can see any number of monk-like prestige classes that try to simulate real-world martial art styles.

Caliban! I'm so glad you stopped by!

Your opinion is already noted in the guide, I think. I'd love to have your comments on the guide, items in the guide, or items that should be included but are left out right now.

Thanks!

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Arcane Runes Press said:

Frankly, I don't think monks should begin the game with shield proficiency. But I see no harm in a monk who spends one of his relatively few feats to get it suffering no further penalties for its use.

And, that's fine for your game.

Personally, I do not see a single rule in the book that implies that Monks CAN use a shield without the penalties.

Monks cannot wear armor without losing some special abilities. Shields are a type of armor according to the PHB. That's the bottom line.

I have no clue why Artomis still has this one on the list. I see no counter position according to the rules at all.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Artoomis said:

Caliban! I'm so glad you stopped by!

Your opinion is already noted in the guide, I think. I'd love to have your comments on the guide, items in the guide, or items that should be included but are left out right now.

Thanks!

That's all nice and well, but why do you still have this question in the list?

What rules at all imply that shields are not armor?

I thought the purpose of the list was to list ambiguous things, not necessarily things where the person originally questioning it could not find the proper answer in the books.

Remove ads