D&D 5E Ultimate Sorlock (Coffeelock) villain! How to defeat him? Is It possible? A party vs one

Slit518

Adventurer
If I were DM, I would just make it a gestalt character, Sorcerer/Warlock.

I'm the DM, I can make creatures however I want.

I want it to have access to both Sorcerer & Warlock spells from Cantrip to 9? Will do!

I want level 1-4 spells to scale up to 5th level as I cast them using Sorcerer spell slots? Will do!

I want to apply meta magic to my already buffed spell casting? Will do!

I want to have 3-4 caster feats on me? Will do!

Big Bad Evil Guy? 1 vs 4-6? I'll do what I have to with a custom character.

:):):):), I made a boss from a game that ran from 2nd edition to 3.5 (character conversion was a bitch) all custom. The final boss fight was the session.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
If I were DM, I would just make it a gestalt character, Sorcerer/Warlock.

I'm the DM, I can make creatures however I want.

I want it to have access to both Sorcerer & Warlock spells from Cantrip to 9? Will do!

I want level 1-4 spells to scale up to 5th level as I cast them using Sorcerer spell slots? Will do!

I want to apply meta magic to my already buffed spell casting? Will do!

I want to have 3-4 caster feats on me? Will do!

Big Bad Evil Guy? 1 vs 4-6? I'll do what I have to with a custom character.

:):):):), I made a boss from a game that ran from 2nd edition to 3.5 (character conversion was a bitch) all custom. The final boss fight was the session.

Need I say one thing, he picks his feats, spells know and class. The villain has good battle tactics (Nothing more), right?

1v1? Maybe, but 6 x 1?
I'm sure it's possible to win.

Slit518

Adventurer
Need I say one thing, he picks his feats, spells know and class. The villain has good battle tactics (Nothing more), right?

1v1? Maybe, but 6 x 1?
I'm sure it's possible to win.

Now this may sound ridiculous, but my 1st BBEG which I mentioned above, the party was level 18-20, and there were 9 members, 2 characters each and a DM character.

Anyway, the BBEG character sheet, with my own personal notes was around 13 pages long.

If I recall correctly through feats, class abilities (20 BAB), and whatever legal extras, I remember he could do I think 11 attacks with two-handed fighting, and I think 8 attacks with a bow.

The only thing is, I cherry picked everything to give him that BBEG feel.

I remember one character, a level 18 fighter with Stone Skin and full health went up to him, 11 attacks later and he was dead.

Luckily the Bard had an Ocarina that could store 10 spells, 4 of which were Resurrection.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
You still haven't given character creation rules for us to build this team. Do they have to be level 1's? Can we have characters which are level 20 in all classes? What do you want us to do?

Furthermore, what are the rules for this challenge? Is he just standing in the middle of an unending open field where we left him?

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
You still haven't given character creation rules for us to build this team. Do they have to be level 1's? Can we have characters which are level 20 in all classes? What do you want us to do?

Furthermore, what are the rules for this challenge? Is he just standing in the middle of an unending open field where we left him?

If possible 1v1 20th-level optimized character vs the villain? Is It possible? a full party vs villain.

We need a optimized team. Any class. Unearthed Arcana is obviously disallowed.

We are in the dark mountains and we need to invade their territory or create a tactic to taunt him.

Last edited:

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
I believe you have his AC set too high.

15 (Robe of the Archmagi) + 3 (+1 Shield) + 2 (Staff of Power) + 4 (Dex) + 5 (Shield spell) = 29

Also, how big an area are the mountains?

Valmarius

First Post
1) lvl 20 Cleric readies an action to cast Antimagic Field when they see the villain.
2) lvl 20 Wizard teleports the party to the Villain's location. This triggers the Cleric's Antimagic Field. Villain's AC is now 14.
3) Barb19/Rogue1 rages and uses their two attacks to grapple then shove prone the villain, with advantage + expertise in athletics.
4) 3x lvl 20 Lucky, Greatweapon-Master, Battlemaster, Fighters do their thing.
5) ???
6) profit

But honestly, while this is a fun thought experiment, this game/DM does not sound like fun.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
1) lvl 20 Cleric readies an action to cast Antimagic Field when they see the villain.
2) lvl 20 Wizard teleports the party to the Villain's location. This triggers the Cleric's Antimagic Field. Villain's AC is now 14.
3) Barb19/Rogue1 rages and uses their two attacks to grapple then shove prone the villain, with advantage + expertise in athletics.
4) 3x lvl 20 Lucky, Greatweapon-Master, Battlemaster, Fighters do their thing.
5) ???
6) profit

But honestly, while this is a fun thought experiment, this game/DM does not sound like fun.

I would consider swapping out 3 of your Cleric and Wizard levels for Sorcerer so you can use Subtle Spell.

Also, since the Villain used Enemies Abound earlier, that must mean XGtE is fair game, so I'd have your grappler go 20 levels in Barb for the higher Str and get expertise from the Prodigy feat.

CTurbo

Explorer
An Open Hand Monk min-maxed for total speed could run in and stun = game over.

I'm sure a Gloom Stalker Assassin build could solo if played correctly.

Remove ads