D&D 5E Ultimate Sorlock (Coffeelock) villain! How to defeat him? Is It possible? A party vs one

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Has the DM actually broken RAW? Where? He's certainly been exploiting his position as DM, but anything impossible has been claimed to be either a mistake or a transcription error as far as I'm aware?
The list of problems with the build and its employment grows with each new poster analyzing the situation. Some of them are claimed to be a typo after being identified.

How DO you get an NPC apparently casting full-action spells as a Reaction on each other characters' turn?

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
The list of problems with the build and its employment grows with each new poster analyzing the situation. Some of them are claimed to be a typo after being identified.

This I agree with 110%, but it's not probably breaking the rules. If the DM says "Oh, he just happened to have cast See Invis the turn before you came across him," you know that would have been the case even if you had encountered him a turn earlier, but you can't disprove it. It's the sign of being an atrociously bad DM, but it's not explicitly cheating. (Though our original poster seems to be having fun, so to each his own I guess)

How DO you get an NPC apparently casting full-action spells as a Reaction on each other characters' turn?
I think I missed that part, where is it?

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Wish : Simulacrum

Unfortunately, this tactic does not work.
First problem is that it is stealth, using Subtle Minor Image cantrip.
Second problem is that Villain and his simulacrum can use Subtle Counterspell and has Darkness, impossible to counterspell it.
Another problem, also has the Sanctuary Spell (Wis save or lose 9th spell slot), which can be problematic here.

Out of curiosity, how to use teleport and True Polymorph on the same turn with this build? That's not possible.
I can not see the utility of 5 character with counterspell if the villain ignores counterspell with subtle metamagic and / or darkness.

How are they both in "stealth", whatever that is, and have darkness up without being noticed/located within a 20' radius. If the darkness moves, at all, you can figure out exactly where the bad guy is.

Counterspell has a range of 60' and targets the caster, so unless your max range spellthrowers have closed the distance, they aren't counterspelling anything the party does. If they are close enough to counterspell, the party options have drastically improved.

But, let's go back to the 'stealth' thing. Looking at your build you have a +4 dex, +6 proficiency in stealth, have apparently taken the skill feat from XGtE to gain proficiency in this skill for a +16 bonus to stealth. I assume you're absolutely joking about the Pass without Trace spell, right? You aren't locking in your concentration slot for that spell AND have all of these other spells, like Enemies Abound and Darkness up, right?

Basically, the action economy for your uber build is broken. You cannot actually have all of the necessary counters up all the time.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
This I agree with 110%, but it's not probably breaking the rules. If the DM says "Oh, he just happened to have cast See Invis the turn before you came across him," you know that would have been the case even if you had encountered him a turn earlier, but you can't disprove it. It's the sign of being an atrociously bad DM, but it's not explicitly cheating. (Though our original poster seems to be having fun, so to each his own I guess)

Well, the DM was pretty clear. Coffeelock keeps all spells active. This is Coffeelock's signature. Then, Death Ward, Contingency: Revify, Darkness, Sanctuary, Mirror Image and any other Spell Know.
If the spells are over, he returns to his Temple of Gods for Short Rest.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
How are they both in "stealth", whatever that is, and have darkness up without being noticed/located within a 20' radius. If the darkness moves, at all, you can figure out exactly where the bad guy is.

Counterspell has a range of 60' and targets the caster, so unless your max range spellthrowers have closed the distance, they aren't counterspelling anything the party does. If they are close enough to counterspell, the party options have drastically improved.

But, let's go back to the 'stealth' thing. Looking at your build you have a +4 dex, +6 proficiency in stealth, have apparently taken the skill feat from XGtE to gain proficiency in this skill for a +16 bonus to stealth. I assume you're absolutely joking about the Pass without Trace spell, right? You aren't locking in your concentration slot for that spell AND have all of these other spells, like Enemies Abound and Darkness up, right?

Basically, the action economy for your uber build is broken. You cannot actually have all of the necessary counters up all the time.

Distant Counter Spell (120 feet) or Subtle Counterspell.
So if someone teleport (Chance to fail) and try to use True, Polymorph or anything he obviously goes counterspell.
Greater Invisibility is useful for daylight and out of combat.
Darkness for the night and combat.

Darkness (Area effect) or Twin (The villain and Simulacrum) Invisibility = Simulacrum's Concentration
+ Pass without trace (Area effect) = Villain's concentration.

If you use enemies abound or any concentration, cancel Greater Invisibility, but pass without trace continues.

He will only counterspell if the enemy if he is in counterspell range, while the enemy are out of reach, he continues blasting them (1200') and sending his undead to attack them.

Last edited:

CTurbo

Explorer
It sounds like the DM is going to do whatever he needs to do to make this villain impossible to defeat. I would not bother trying.

On to the next campaign....

Remove ads