D&D 5E Ultimate Sorlock (Coffeelock) villain! How to defeat him? Is It possible? A party vs one

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Your post was very funny.
But it has a small detail.
Greater Restauration = Good bye Exaustion.
For Coffeelocks without access to Greater Restauration, Aspect of the Moon Invocation is the solution.

Naw you're taking that word too literally. My point is there is no way this guy never relaxes for 8 hours. There is no way he's engaged in strenuous activity all the time. He pauses sometimes. He goes to a feast sometimes. He stays in to read a book on world conquest or the making of tea cozies sometimes. I mean, there are no threats in the world to him - what's keeping him jumpy all the time? He's got to relax simetimes for more than a couple hours - a rainy day or snowy day somewhere in there where he just stays home in the fortress of utter evil to whittle, or knit a sweater, or casually torture a prisoner over a roaring fire.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Naw you're taking that word too literally. My point is there is no way this guy never relaxes for 8 hours. There is no way he's engaged in strenuous activity all the time. He pauses sometimes. He goes to a feast sometimes. He stays in to read a book on world conquest or the making of tea cozies sometimes. I mean, there are no threats in the world to him - what's keeping him jumpy all the time? He's got to relax simetimes for more than a couple hours - a rainy day or snowy day somewhere in there where he just stays home in the fortress of utter evil to whittle, or knit a sweater, or casually torture a prisoner over a roaring fire.
Invite him to a party! Kill a few minions to be sacrificed and beautiful entities to him.
Good idea! ahahaha
Let's make him happy and ask to bring our friends back. Maybe it's simpler.

Mistwell

Wait wait wait...how is he EVER getting any spell slots above 5th level spell slots? You said he used the Wish spell...how? He never gets back any spell slots above 5th level slots. Once he casts his slots above 5th level he has no way to get them back without a long rest. The short rests won't do it, and the sorcery points won't do it.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Wait wait wait...how is he EVER getting any spell slots above 5th level spell slots? You said he used the Wish spell...how? He never gets back any spell slots above 5th level slots. Once he casts his slots above 5th level he has no way to get them back without a long rest. The short rests won't do it, and the sorcery points won't do it.

When necessary he uses Wish, but only when necessary.
Wish: Simulacrum is only 1 time until it dies or he wants a new simulacrum.

Stay inside your temple of the gods and sleep for 4 hours. Then just recreate spells slots.

CTurbo

Explorer
Ok seriously

6 level 20 Clerics. The undead army would not even be a minor annoyance.

If 6 uses of an auto succeeding Divine Intervention doesn't do it, the only correct answer is to get a new DM.

Would be fun whether all 6 had the same god or 6 different gods.

Then bring the original party back to life, let the Clerics go on their way, and continue on with the original party. Done.

If you don't like that idea, 6 level 20 Moon Druids would eventually wear the Villain down and win after a few hundred hours of game play.

Last edited:

eryndel

Explorer
Mistwell has the right of it. The weakness to this build is no long rest means very few high level slots with the trade off of nearly unlimited 1st-5th level slots. A level 17 sorcerer will have one 9th level spell... He cast Wish: Simulacrum. Then he whiled away the centuries through the tedium of short resting, regain 2 second level Warlock spells, turn them into 4 Sorcery Points, turn them into spell slots, make a pot of coffee, repeat...

He can have nearly infinite spells slots from 1-5, and up to 17 sorcery points to play with. But regaining Wish means a long rest and with that, his slots reset. That's a big sacrifice for this build.

Oh, and why hasn't the Simulacrum been dispelled. Get within 120 ft and a 7th level dispel magic, and the Simulacrum shouldn't be much of a concern anymore.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
You need a party of full casters all with action surge. You are looking to overwhelm his spell defenses ASAP and the best way to do that is cast an overwhelming amount of spells at him on turn 1.

I would take a full party of high level Fighter 2 / Sorcerer X or high level Fighter 2 / Wizard X. Action Surge is Key. Metamagic is a great addition for this. Heightened Spell will be very useful. You'll be able to teleport the whole party very close to the coffeelock. Then you will have 11 high levels spells being discharged at him while he only will have available 2 counterspells due to the 1 reaction a turn limit. I'd strip all his spells off with high level casts of dispel magic and then just have everyone else blast him or control him with their spells after the dispel magic ended.

All goes well he will be dead by the end of the partys very first turn.

The party can prebuff like crazy and also counter the coffeelocks own counterspells with counterspell. I really don't see him making it past turn 1.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I do have 2 questions about the writeup.

1. What gives him advantage on saving throws against magic?
2. What gives him resistance to ranged attacks / ranged damage (not sure which it is since you used both terms interchangeably). (Fireball is not a ranged attack, but it would be considered ranged damage).

Mistwell

When necessary he uses Wish, but only when necessary.
Wish: Simulacrum is only 1 time until it dies or he wants a new simulacrum.

Stay inside your temple of the gods and sleep for 4 hours. Then just recreate spells slots.

Nope. The moment he takes a long rest to regain any spell slots, he loses all his saved up slots and he's just a normal caster again. You're saying you're facing a spellcaster with only 5th level or lower spell slots (as many as he wants of them) or else a normal caster - he cannot be both. As soon as he starts casting those spells above 5th level slots, he never gets those back until he rests. It sure seems like he's trying to play it both ways but he can't.

Last edited:

Remove ads