D&D 5E Ultimate Sorlock (Coffeelock) villain! How to defeat him? Is It possible? A party vs one

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
It sounds like the DM is going to do whatever he needs to do to make this villain impossible to defeat. I would not bother trying.

On to the next campaign....

That's why he allowed an entire optimized team to defeat him...
It would not be as simple as, teleport + save or suck spells.

Dude, honestly, Wizard is the most powerful class (in my opinion). Can not defeat it in 1v1?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
To me, it sounds like this DM does not like this build and is trying to illustrate the kind of bad faith gaming it produces. Maybe hoping no player ever wants to replicate out of sheer hate?

If you think it is possible, as you keep asking, why are you asking this forum for help. Every suggestion is shot down in the same because reasons manner. Unless you build an exact mirror and hope the DM makes a mistake while playing his version, I am not seeing an absolute hard counter.

I have to mention though, I don't build creatures like this. Especially as the DM. I like my villains to be able to be defeated, and for them even have character flaws that can be used to find strategies against them. This doesn't sound like that kind of thing.

Unless you can shed light on the personality or motivations on this spell caster. What could be used to taunt or trick this guy to an area where there is no 1200 ft of open space. Favorable ground for the player group.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Unless you can shed light on the personality or motivations on this spell caster. What could be used to taunt or trick this guy to an area where there is no 1200 ft of open space. Favorable ground for the player group.

That is a excelent tatic!!

But, about Undeads? It may be even more dangerous, but it may be a single solution.
Taunt him to a dungeon?
But how are we going to deal with the Undead?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
That is a excelent tatic!!

But, about Undeads? It may be even more dangerous, but it may be a single solution.
Taunt him to a dungeon?
But how are we going to deal with the Undead?

That is assuming the place you goad him two is an ideal location to drag a whole undead army to. Besides the logistics, if this guy is trying to fly under the radar of the rest of the world, moving an army is a pretty noticeable thing.

Plus I mean... they are undead... Use a powerful cleric to clear that stuff.

Look the whole point of getting someone like this away from their ideal location, is to strip them of the things that make them powerful/comfortable. You get them to some place that was prepared for this fight. Some place that would prevent the undead or lessen their impact greatly.

From what you have wrote, this villain uses his environment and abilities/spells to hide a lot. There must be something that has him so scared. Typically creatures of that power don't even bother with stealthy tactics. You don't need them if what you are going against are so woefully under your level of ability, right?

It all comes down to who this villain is. You would know that better than I do, having played the campaign thus far.

CTurbo

Explorer
Ok I got it. Here is the party.

Beast Ranger with a Terrasque as his companion
A few Druids that turn into Ancient Dragons of various colors
Some Clerics to spam turn undead
An Empyrean or two
1d6 Solars
and some Cloud and Storm Giants raining down rocks and Lightning bolts from the clouds.
Oh and a single Assassin Rogue

Or a single level 20 Cleric using Divine Intervention.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Distant Counter Spell (120 feet) or Subtle Counterspell.
So if someone teleport (Chance to fail) and try to use True, Polymorph or anything he obviously goes counterspell.
Greater Invisibility is useful for daylight and out of combat.
Darkness for the night and combat.

Darkness (Area effect) or Twin (The villain and Simulacrum) Invisibility = Simulacrum's Concentration
+ Pass without trace (Area effect) = Villain's concentration.

If you use enemies abound or any concentration, cancel Greater Invisibility, but pass without trace continues.

He will only counterspell if the enemy if he is in counterspell range, while the enemy are out of reach, he continues blasting them (1200') and sending his undead to attack them.

Right, so at 1200', he blasts, because the party can't be invisible or use cover or anything. The villein and his simulacrum are ineffective at that range -- a single round of sniper fire will find the party retreating out of effective range to regroup or just taking cover and enacting their counterplan. Range will rarely be a serious factor outside of a white room blank plain.

And the undead -- we're talking animate dead, right? So 5 skeletons or zombies per casting? How many casts? To get to numbers that are more than minorly distracting to a 16th level party, that's going to seriously cut into available spells -- in fact, maintaining, say 60 of these low CR creatures, which begins to become a threat to the party, requires 12 castings of a 5th level spell daily. That's a lot of resting time needed just to maintain a group of undead that incinerate in the first fireball or turn attempt. We should pretty much ignore the undead and even a credible threat.

So, then, let's address the sneaking up and dropping enemies abound. The plan is for the villain, under greater invisibility from the simulacrum, to sneak in maintaining pass without trace (I'm away from my XGtE, does this show up on the Divine Soul's list?). Okay, sure. They then cast subtly Enemies Abound at a range of 120'. You're already using subtle spell, so you can use distant spell as well due to metamagic stacking limitations. So any party knowing they're up against an uber-caster with access to invisibility is running true sight or see invisible -- and they see the villain, 120' away, casting a spell. A bad turn for the villain ensues before they can escape via teleportation. Also, no component bag stealing, so sorry.

But, let's say the party gatecrashes the villain by teleporting within range for an alpha strike. They come under fire at range, hunker down, maybe with a wall spell, prep, and then pop over. They time it via readied actions so the teleport gives everyone at least a strike on arrival. That's 5 best goes from whatever classes you muster. If I'm really taking on this caster with the best I can put together, that's 6 full caster classes. You can counter spell twice, maybe, as you'll have to hope that you guessed the right spell level being cast and make the arcana check, which will be at +5 max anyway. So a few 8th level spells and they'll get through with a few. If the villain survives, it can teleport away, maybe.

Finally, let's address the failure of a simulacrum that was created. It cannot coffeelock because simulacrums cannot regain spell slots. "But it's not regaining spell slots, it's burning warlock spells every short rest for sorcery points, which is can do by the rules," you say. To which I ask -- how are you recovering those warlock spell slots on a short rest, Mr. Simulacrum? So, the simulacrum is moderately useful, but cannot burn spell slots or even sorcery points with effective abandon. It can be burnt out in short order. It certainly won't be maintaining the army of undead, or able to command them (only the caster can do so).

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Finally, let's address the failure of a simulacrum that was created. It cannot coffeelock because simulacrums cannot regain spell slots. "But it's not regaining spell slots, it's burning warlock spells every short rest for sorcery points, which is can do by the rules," you say. To which I ask -- how are you recovering those warlock spell slots on a short rest, Mr. Simulacrum? So, the simulacrum is moderately useful, but cannot burn spell slots or even sorcery points with effective abandon. It can be burnt out in short order. It certainly won't be maintaining the army of undead, or able to command them (only the caster can do so).
Thank you very much for the tips and I agree with just about everything. Now, simulacrum copies Villain, including large numbers of spells slots. If the Simulacrum can not cast spells, the villain uses Wish: Simulacrum again.
Wish ignores material components.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Maybe It's a mistake, it's 3th level warlock.

This was an edit error, it's 3th level Hexblade.

It's 2th level warlock spells, Divine Soul 17 / Hexblade 3, was a editing error.

A Also, It's 2th spell and 1 hour duration, easy to do.

Ok, this is driving me insane. I am sure it's an "English As A Second Language" issue, so it's not your fault. But, you're doing something that's grating on my brain and I just finally had to say something.

There is no such thing as 1th. There is no such thing as 2th. There is no such thing as 3th.

It's "1st", which stands for First. And "2nd", which stands for Second. And "3rd", which stands for Third. It just so happens that most numbers do end with "th" in English, but those first three numbers do not.

OK, sorry about that, rant over.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
OK, I finally read the Coffeelock concept. Which, in summary as posted by Scyrner, is this:

Scyrner said:
Step 1: Get Warlock and Sorc Levels.
Step 2: Convert Warlock spell slots (that recharge on a short rest) to sorcery points with Sorc metamagic.
Step 3: Convert Spell points to spell slots with Sorc metamagic.
Step 4: Take short rest, refresh warlock spell slots, repeat at step 2.

That's basically it. Your extra spell slots never go away as long as you never take a long rest. If you take a Divine Soul Sorc origin, then you can cast cure wounds on yourself so you never need Hit Dice.

So OK, now I can see the weakness inherent in the build - he can never take a long rest or else the entire thing falls apart.

Your PCs are going about this all wrong. You don't need to defeat him by force of arms. You just need to present a situation where this guy decides to chill for 8 hours. All you need is for this guy to have an 8 hour period of "extended downtime during which a character does nothing more strenuous than light activity such as reading, talking, or eating"

Which, of course, means the answer is simple: EPIC PARTY!

Get this guy drunk. Get this guy some entities he finds physically attractive. Get this guy feeling safe and not threatened and exhausted. That's the key to his defeat - his happiness.

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Get this guy feeling safe and not threatened and exhausted. That's the key to his defeat - his happiness.

Your post was very funny.
But it has a small detail.
Greater Restauration = Good bye Exaustion.
For Coffeelocks without access to Greater Restauration, Aspect of the Moon Invocation is the solution.

Remove ads