D&D 5E Ultimate Sorlock (Coffeelock) villain! How to defeat him? Is It possible? A party vs one

Langland

First Post
I would say something like, div wizard 17 with a gem of seeing should do it. As soon as coffee starts firing off blasts go time stop > teleport > feeblemind >auto fail with portent. Though before any of that I would disintegrate his temple of the gods out of spite.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Nope. The moment he takes a long rest to regain any spell slots, he loses all his saved up slots and he's just a normal caster again. You're saying you're facing a spellcaster with only 5th level or lower spell slots (as many as he wants of them) or else a normal caster - he cannot be both. As soon as he starts casting those spells above 5th level slots, he never gets those back until he rests. It sure seems like he's trying to play it both ways but he can't.

Going off this, if there's a way to Suggest him into taking a Long Rest, there you go. You've got it. Word it as a truce or something to sound reasonable, that both parties Should Just Go Off and Take a Long Rest

While he's taking a rest, just send some assassin not involved in the undead clearing over to do the job once his buffs are down from, y'know, sleeping

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If the spells are over, he returns to his Temple of Gods for Short Rest.
And my invisible Assassin (from above) now knows exactly where to await his target, prepped to Alpha Strike him at the optimum moment.
Spend some time scouting the vicinity, and he can place his allies to maximize THEIR Alpha Strikes also.

When you get that "Wizards are undefeatable because they can Spell everything" notion out of your head and begin thinking, you will see the possibilities.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
I would say something like, div wizard 17 with a gem of seeing should do it. As soon as coffee starts firing off blasts go time stop > teleport > feeblemind >auto fail with portent. Though before any of that I would disintegrate his temple of the gods out of spite.

Okay, by that I wonder. As your wizard will prevent your gem of seeing and material bag from be stolen before opening fire.
In this case, the villain remains stealth, casting Distant Minor Ilusions of himself or Sutble Spells. It will only appear when it is necessary. Will the attack be against Simulacrum?
The tactic would only work if you have some way to prevent it from being stolen.
Even if it works, Villain has access to Greater Restauration Spell. Feeblemind has no effect. And the Wizard would be without 9, 8 and 7 spells slots and close to villain and his simulacrum.
How to know the location of the temple?

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
And my invisible Assassin (from above) now knows exactly where to await his target, prepped to Alpha Strike him at the optimum moment.
Spend some time scouting the vicinity, and he can place his allies to maximize THEIR Alpha Strikes also.

When you get that "Wizards are undefeatable because they can Spell everything" notion out of your head and begin thinking, you will see the possibilities.

Assassin stealth, See invisible counter it, and the assassin doesn't know the temple location as well.

Last edited:

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
And continuing my suggestions of just breaking him with Suggestion and taking advantage of his lower stats (Seeing as I still remain having serious doubts a 8 int 8 wis character should, y'know, be able to do ridiculous tactics like this)

1: Get him close enough to be in Suggestion's range. Use your mage if you have to as bait. Using Truesight against him and play the field in such a way stealth checks are going to be a disadvantage, heavily increasing the likelihood he'll be detected
2: Suggest he wear this suit of plate armor to protect him. Please provide him a suit of armor
3: Congratulations, he is now a spellcaster wearing plate armor
4: HEAT METAL

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Okay, by that I wonder. As your wizard will prevent your gem of seeing and material bag from be stolen before opening fire.
In this case, the villain remains stealth, casting Distant Minor Ilusions of himself or Sutble Spells. It will only appear when it is necessary. Will the attack be against Simulacrum?
The tactic would only work if you have some way to prevent it from being stolen.
Even if it works, Villain has access to Greater Restauration Spell. Feeblemind has no effect. And the Wizard would be without 9, 8 and 7 spells slots and close to villain and his simulacrum.
How to know the location of the temple?

How will they be stolen? This tactic works only if you have a realistic way for the villain to personally sneak right up to the party without being detected. Recall, he may be able to sneak up, but the stealing will be immediately dectected if he doesn't succeed at the sleight of hand check to steal a worn item. You can't steal an item actually in hand without being noticed. You're saying that the villain will know that the party has a gem of seeing and will risk themselves to steal in in a manner that requires both he and his simulacrum to be very close and at risk?

Please.

As for the greater restoration spell, the simulacrum has none of the villain's defenses (no resistances, no protections against divination) and only half the hitpoints (~73, right?). Knocking off the simulacrum is trivial -- it's a total glass cannon and easily defeated.

mgshamster

First Post
Hi guys. Mgshamster here.

This dude is a troll.

He's been banned at least three times from GitP, twice for this *exact* thread which he posted last weekend.

His tactics seem to be to post an "invincible" build and challenge people to beat it, then change build/tactics as people come up with ideas that work. He always posts an image in the OP.

Many different examples were shown to work when he posted this last weekend on GitP (notice how he was absent from this forum last weekend? It's cause he was posting over there).

The .odd banned him after one day, and then he made a new account, pretended to be someone else, and kept posting. Mods banned him again and then deleted the thread.

Here's the build that he ended up with over there: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1409119

That's the sheet that JNAProductions managed to create from all the little hints the OP gave, because unlike here he never actually posted a build over there.

Unfortunately for him, he hinted that he posted this over here to, and low and behold here it is. So I'm here to warn you all that this is a troll and he's been banned for doing this exact same thing over here.

Two points of note to recognise him: his English is second language, and he ignores a lot of rules in order to "win."

Here are some other things that made me recognise that he's the same person:

1) similar language in this build compared to the build JNA made (linked above)
2) Removal of metal armor to counter the heat metal idea
3) Addition of protection from poison AND purple worm poison to counter the champion archer build which used poison against him. I'll note that his simulacrum bis now using this exact same idea as the champion which killed him and his Sim in a single round before he had a chance to act.
5) Mention of globe of invulnerability, which was a tactic used to beat him
6) Changing tactics - note how much the build changed from the other thread he posted on En World. He was using earth bind, now he's a necromancer. He was using darkness, now invisibility. Also note that the time difference between his previous thread and this thread perfectly accommodates the time for him to post and get banned (twice) on GitP.
7) Lots of spelling mistakes and grammar errors
8) Always posts a picture with OP
9) Declares "Nope! That doesn't work!" against tactics that work due to his misunderstanding the rules or changing the build.

Heck, in the last thread, he tried to claim that a +3 shield and +3 Armor were not magic items. Or that Dispel Magic is an Attack, and therefore is stopped by sanctuary.

The guy is well known enough on GitP that some of our frequent posters instantly recognised the tactic and called him out as a previously banned user.

And now he's here trying to troll En World with the exact same thing.

Ignore him. Close the thread.

Remove ads