Ultramodern Firearms d20 Web Preview

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I just saw the preview for Ultramodern Firearms, and after checking it out, I can now honestly say that as soon as I buy d20 Modern, the next thing Im picking up is Ultramodern Firearms. Just reading that entry for the Desert Eagle left me drooling. That has long been my favorite handgun to role-play with (ever since I played RE2 anyway, nothing like popping the heads of zombies as Leon with that sweet puppy).

One thing I wanted to ask was will we see anything about customizing guns somehow? Im vaguely aware that this can be done in real-life for additional effects and benefits, and it would be so cool if the book covered that as well.

tburdett

Explorer
Alzrius said:
I just saw the preview for Ultramodern Firearms, and after checking it out, I can now honestly say that as soon as I buy d20 Modern, the next thing Im picking up is Ultramodern Firearms. Just reading that entry for the Desert Eagle left me drooling. That has long been my favorite handgun to role-play with (ever since I played RE2 anyway, nothing like popping the heads of zombies as Leon with that sweet puppy).

One thing I wanted to ask was will we see anything about customizing guns somehow? Im vaguely aware that this can be done in real-life for additional effects and benefits, and it would be so cool if the book covered that as well.

The Desert Eagle is a really nice handgun. The weight of the weapon really helps to reduce the massive recoil when firing the larger .50 caliber ammunition. Also note that the grip on the weapon is fairly large due to the diameter of the round. I have fairly large hands and I found it much easier to deploy the weapon if I used both hands.

I'd like to know if you covered the Automag line? I had an Automag III for a while (fires .30 Carbine ammo) and I'd like to see what stats you applied to it. The muzzle flash could reach over 5' and I'd like to see some type of additional burn damage for targets within that area of effect! :)

novyet

First Post
Awesome, completely awesome. Any coverage of things like the CZ52 Pistol or Rifle? Or additions of different calibers of ammunition? D20 Modern covers 7.62 x 51 and x 39, but what about x25 (Tokarev Pistol), x45 (Cz52 Rifle), x54 (Old Russian Rifle Round), and x63 (30-06)?

Last edited:

dpmcalister

Explorer
Got to be the voice of disagreement here! Sure, Ultramodern Firearms is very nicely laid out, it's got excellent artwork and the weapon images are very useful. But those game stats need sorting out - and a little more research might be useful!

I mean, none of the weapons critical on anything less than a 20, damage is a bit on the small side (especially considering that d20 Modern uses hit points for damage).

On the research side, take a look at the L85A1, the description provided actually describes the L85A2! The range increment is out (it should be 100m) and the "fold down iron sights" just don't exist. The L85 comes in to variants - L85A1, used by non-infantry units. Fitted with iron sights (they don't fold down) and has a number of reliability problems associated with it (both real and imagined); and the L85A2, issued to infantry units. It is fitted with a SUSAT sight (the 4x optical sight listed in the description) and is more reliable (recent tests have proved this beyond doubt). The weight of the L85A1 is around 9 lbs, while the weight given (12 lbs) is correct for the L85A2!

I'm not holding out much hope for the full version...

Nikchick

Explorer
dpmcalister said:
I'm not holding out much hope for the full version...

Ultramodern Firearms uses the D20M conventions for the weapons rules.

The introduction to the book (not included in the preview) explicitly states that this is a book about guns for roleplaying purposes and not a gun book with details about guns for gun enthusiasts. I'm comfortable with that distinction and freely admit you're not the target market for this book. :)

Nicole

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Nikchick said:
Ultramodern Firearms uses the D20M conventions for the weapons rules.

The introduction to the book (not included in the preview) explicitly states that this is a book about guns for roleplaying purposes and not a gun book with details about guns for gun enthusiasts. I'm comfortable with that distinction and freely admit you're not the target market for this book.

;)

Given the number of gamers in the military I suspect your book will provoke many a heated discussion, every bit as emotionally charged and ultimately relevant as, "Tastes great!" "Less filling!"

I think it looks great. I gots to have me a Desert Eagle!

"Given that my gun has Desert Eagle point-5-O written down the barrel, and yours says R-E-P-L-I-C-A..."

Tee hee!

Wulf

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hmmm. I don't have d20 Modern, so I hadn't noticed before, but they really screwed up damage values for bullets. 9mm, .357 magnums, and .45s do the same amount of damage? WTF?

This isn't Green Ronin's fault, I just hadn't noticed before seeing the preview of the book. At which point I looked at the d20 Modern SRD. That's really screwed up. Still, guess I won't be buying this, since apparently what firearm you use doesn't matter in d20 modern - they're all the same.

Nikchick

Explorer
That's one of the values of previews!

Quite honestly, I would MUCH rather that a person see in advance what the book is going to be like and decide it's not what they're looking for than have someone buy the book and then spend the next six months making snarky backhanded comments about it because it wasn't what they wanted or expected it to be.

Nicole

Ranger REG

Explorer
Ranger REG said:

Aren't you supposed to wait until that rules mechanics becomes OGC, or did you get special permission from Wizards?

Don't get me wrong. I do want to use UMF with my Spycraft games. :cool:
So, no one has any response to my question?

Remove ads