Umbrella academy season 3. No spoilers please

Ryujin

Legend
The show doesn't make the decision of how to feel for you. It presents a character, and you feel... however you feel.
And I certainly appreciate it for doing that. I'm tired of media like movies trying to manipulate me, with music, into feeling how they want me to feel. Just let the story play out.

Argyle King

Legend
The show doesn't make the decision of how to feel for you. It presents a character, and you feel... however you feel.

That could be said of any story.

At the same time, there's typically some intent behind why things are presented a certain way when telling a story.

I get the impression that certain scenes are set up to foster a particular response or to explain behaviors of a character in ways which elicit sympathy.

Edit: If I can attempt to draw a parallel to pro wrestling, there's a difference between "heat" and "go away heat." The latter isn't a positive thing long term.

Argyle King

Legend
I just finished season 3.

The last few episodes seem to write Viktor in a way which comes across better.

I was trying to figure out the number pattern of the hotel room. It seemed as though there was some significance to what order the numbers were in.

I think Reginald's plan could have been explained a little better. I understand what (I think) the machine controls did. I'm not sure how clear it came across to the average viewer right before the show ended a season.

Is a season 4 planned?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And I certainly appreciate it for doing that. I'm tired of media like movies trying to manipulate me, with music, into feeling how they want me to feel. Just let the story play out.

I find that a good score really is important in media presentation. Star Wars needs its John Williams.

Ryujin

Legend
I find that a good score really is important in media presentation. Star Wars needs its John Williams.
Yes, a good score is very important, however, more and more I see what I would call manipulative scores. The music should mirror the action on screen, not try and tell you how to feel about it.

Mezuka

Hero
Yes, a good score is very important, however, more and more I see what I would call manipulative scores. The music should mirror the action on screen, not try and tell you how to feel about it.
That is how Spielberg's very successful action movies were made.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Ah. I think of that less as the music being "manipulative" and more that the composer is just a better storyteller than the writing/directing/acting team.

Remove ads