• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Un-hittable druid- legal?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hypersmurf said:
No, it made it to 3.5 in the DMG.

But you're right - it doesn't actually state that it allows you to retain a shield bonus! Oops!

-Hyp.
Well I don't know which is more troublesome to me that I did not know/remember that it was in the 3.5 DMG or that they did not update it to state that it allows one to retain a shield bonus. Well on the bright side wild armor/shields are no longer stated to meld with the wearer in wild shape, they just can't be seen when in wild shape.

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Cheiromancer said:
The reason I can't see it is because I am not wearing it.

Normally, not wearing armor means you don't get the benefit from it. But the wild enhancement says that you *can* get the armor bonus from armor that has melded with your form when you wild-shaped.

This could just lead to circular thinking.

OK, if you aren't wearing the armor, then you don't gain any bonuses from the armor. If you are wearing it, you do gain bonuses from the armor. If you are wearing it, and it has the wild ability, you are still allowed to retain those bonuses while wildshaped. This is a property of the armor - not wildshape. As such, it doesn't work if you aren't wearing it.

The ability specifically states "that the wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonuses) while in wild shape." If you aren't wearing the armor, you don't gain any of the benefits of the armor, including the wild property.

Wippit Guud

First Post
Ok, this whole armor thing is giving me a brain hemmorhage... someone answer this for me...

If a wizard puts on a plate of full plate mail, and the uses polymorph to change into... oh, an elf... and everything he's wearing merges with him...

... does he still have arcane spell failure?

Wippit Guud

First Post
Hmmm...

Wild: The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, baleful polymorph; Price +3 bonus.

Well, first off, it specifies shields can have the enchantment, so shield bonus should probably be in the description, that should get an errata.

Secondly, find it strange that a druid-only enchantment needs an arcane spell to enchant it (and baleful at that, who not the generic polymorph?)

Thirdly... it says you keep the armor bonuses and deflection bonuses, doesn't say anything about anything else...

Well, look at it this way... people say "The armor is still there, you just can't see it". If the druid shifted to a diminutive bird, with accompanying strength/dex/con... if the armor was still there, it'd be crushed to death.

I'd say the shape would act as if not wearing armor. I mean, it IS a +3 enchantment...

Last edited:

johncolossus

First Post
just my 2 pennyworth.....I thought legendary forms could not be wildshaped into(unless you had one of the MOTW PrC ?Animal Lord). I believe it said that in MOTW or at least a FAQ or sage.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Wippit Guud said:
Secondly, find it strange that a druid-only enchantment needs an arcane spell to enchant it (and baleful at that, who not the generic polymorph?)
Baleful Polymorph is a 5th level Druid spell as well as a 5th level Sorc/Wiz spell while Polymorph is not a Duid spell.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
Ok, this whole armor thing is giving me a brain hemmorhage... someone answer this for me...

If a wizard puts on a plate of full plate mail, and the uses polymorph to change into... oh, an elf... and everything he's wearing merges with him...

... does he still have arcane spell failure?

Yes. He is still wearing it, it is just merged into him by his spell. If he doesn't want to encumber himself with it he can take it off or take some action that removes it.

Tzarevitch

Remove ads