Undead Hunter Campaign

Fyrestryke

Explorer
Hey guys. Hold off on making Psions/Psychic Warriors, or any magic users. Give me till Wednesday night. I may make some changes to a few things. More details then.

thormagni

Explorer
I'm thinking of making a straight ranger, or maybe a ranger that I will multi-class back to a fighter (or vice versa.) Haven't put together a background yet, but I'm thinking of a Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider sort of personality. Anybody's toes I'd be stepping on with that sort of character?

Fyrestryke said:
Hey guys. Hold off on making Psions/Psychic Warriors, or any magic users. Give me till Wednesday night. I may make some changes to a few things. More details then.

BobProbst

First Post
thormagni said:
I'm thinking of making a straight ranger, or maybe a ranger that I will multi-class back to a fighter (or vice versa.) Haven't put together a background yet, but I'm thinking of a Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider sort of personality. Anybody's toes I'd be stepping on with that sort of character?

Not at all, though I was thinking of going rogue/fighter with a sort of Lee Van Cleef personality in Fistful of Dollars.

Hey, You know all about the RPGs and what not. Are there any good western systems out there?

thormagni

Explorer
Wild, Wild West

I recently got a review copy of Gunslingers from Gold Rush Games, which uses their Action! system and it looks pretty promising, but I haven't gone through the whole book yet (I have a huge stack of review stuff right now. I am SO behind.) I have wondered how adaptable the D20 Deadlands stuff would be to a straight Wild West game (it is more of a supernatural Wild West game now, think Shadowrun set in the 1870s) and I was just reading about another D20 game called Sidewinder from Dog House Games that has been a PDF-only but is going to be printed by Green Ronin later this year. The reviews on RPGNow have been pretty positive on it.

Of course, I still have my 1970s vintage Boot Hill rules on the shelf. But that is just because I am a dinosaur. And, being a certified Hero system geek, I have Western Hero, of giant, man-eating scorpions fame.

BobProbst said:
Not at all, though I was thinking of going rogue/fighter with a sort of Lee Van Cleef personality in Fistful of Dollars.

Hey, You know all about the RPGs and what not. Are there any good western systems out there?

Last edited:

Fyrestryke

Explorer
Here's the big post!!

Undead Hunter Campaign Notes

Vitality Points/Wound Points

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040206a&page=3

Massive Damage

The Massive Damage threshold is equal to (Constitution score+[HD x 2]).

Healing

When magically healed, the damage healed is returned, but also added to the characters non-lethal damage and non-lethal damage must be healed naturally.

Action Points

Action Points will be used as described in Unearthed Arcana on page 122-124.

Creation Feats

Creation feats are banned. (Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Dorje, etc.)

Sanity

Sanity loss will occur when witnessing horrible events and when casting spells or manifesting powers. The Moderate Sanity Loss listing on page 196 of Unearthed Arcana will be used. Characters will also receive a Sanity Resistance equal to their Wisdom modifier. This is essentially Sanity DR.

Magic

Magic will be unmodified at this time. Sorcerers, Bards, and Wizards are still not allowed. I may in the near future (after I can adapt the list to Psionics) impose times between the casting of identical spells based on the chart in UA (p160-163) for Recharge Times. Meaning you can only cast Divination every so often, Teleport every so often. More common spells/powers will be reusable more quickly (a matter of rounds if any). We’ll see how it goes.

Questions? Comments? If you guys don't have Unearthed Arcana, I'll provide the necessary information for you Saturday. If you need anything special before then, lemme know.

BTW - Psionics from the Expanded Psionics Handbook are now available in the SRD online at this location.

Is anyone going to play a Cleric? I'm hoping not, but I'd like to know if you are.

I should have one hum-dinger of an adventure lined up for you guys to romp through on Saturday. I'm really excited and hope you guys are too. Let's see those character ideas. ;)

In lieu of the work before me, I will not be playing a character of my own. I will be playing the numerous denizens of evil out to thwart you at every turn. :) If I kill anyone in the first session, they get a free Raise Dead spell. :lol:

fred_jaboobi

First Post
Are you going to have massive damage rules in effect even though the vitality points page says that with that system the massive damage rules are not in effect?

fred_jaboobi

First Post
I haven't decided on a character yet. I like the insanity rules for spells and powers and am thinking about playing a straight psion just to see how long I could go before my character went insane.

I am also thinking about playing a monk/psi war godman. With that character I would have access to the psionic feats that could enhance martial skills and probably not even use the psionic powers unless absolutely necessary.

I also have a couple fighter ideas I may use. One is the typical tank the other is one that wields a guisarm and has the standstill and combat reflexes feats. He will able to keep the undead away from everyone. The last idea would be good if several people are going to use ranged weapons to fight the undead.

BobProbst

First Post
Fyrestryke said:
Undead Hunter Campaign Notes

Healing

When magically healed, the damage healed is returned, but also added to the characters non-lethal damage and non-lethal damage must be healed naturally.

The Wounds system also says it makes no distinction between lethal and non-lethal damage. Do you mean that when wound points are healed they are converted to lost vitality points? What happens if a person has lost all vp and 1 wp and a CLW cures 2vp and 3wp?

Fyrestryke

Explorer
OK guys... I screwed that all to pieces. It was late and I just wrote down everything I liked and didn't go back and re-check things.

I'll let you guys vote. Can't start a poll without a new thread, so just post your vote.

Option 1) Vitality/Wound Points system (no non-lethal damage, no massive damage, good chance of killing powerful critters with lucky blows)

Option 2) Normal HP / Massive Damage Threshold / Special Healing rule (healing converted to non-lethal damage that has to be healed, chance for massive damage kills).

Remember - Those are two-way streets. ;)

Sorry about the confusion and thanks for picking up on it. :cool:

Remove ads