Undead Hunter Campaign

InzeladunMaster

First Post
thormagni said:
My little brother is coming up to visit Friday night and Saturday. Would it be all right if I brought him along? He's not really little anymore, being 29 and a good 8 inches taller than me. But he knows how to play and would probably be willing to play whatever we need.

Of course!

InzeladunMaster

First Post
BobProbst said:
I will be playing a member of the Order of Tyr. A NG Paladin sent by Lord Gaowyn Dirgon *himself* from Ahmn to aid in the fight.

NG? How is that possible? The Player's Handbook says clearly paladins are LG, and I think Charlie's order would enforce that. Wouldn't playing an NG paladin be like playing a retarded wizard who can't cast spells? As soon as you take the alignment, you lose your paladinhood!

BobProbst

First Post
FyreStryke said:
Alignment: Good or Neutral (no Evil). Try to stay away from Lawful. You don't have to be Lawful Good to be a paladin.

Don't worry, he's an extremely Lawful NG :D

I understand no Evil, but the Lawful restriction seems unusual. If anything LG would be seem the opposite of undead, not CG.

Last edited:

Fyrestryke

Explorer
thormagni said:
Hey Chris (and folks)

My little brother is coming up to visit Friday night and Saturday. Would it be all right if I brought him along? He's not really little anymore, being 29 and a good 8 inches taller than me. But he knows how to play and would probably be willing to play whatever we need.

Heck yeah! Bring him along...

DMs note: Add more undead.

Fyrestryke

Explorer
BobProbst said:
Don't worry, he's an extremely Lawful NG :D

I understand no Evil, but the Lawful restriction seems unusual. If anything LG would be seem the opposite of undead, not CG.

Well, play any alignment you want except evil. I just don't like Lawful myself because I start to whack the necromancer, but the Paladin says we can't kill him. ;) Of course, that's no reason to impose restrictions on you guys. :)

It'll be neat to see how a LG paladin handles things when someone he knows turns into a wight. ;)

Last edited:

BobProbst

First Post
Fyrestryke said:
I just don't like Lawful myself because I start to whack the necromancer, but the Paladin says we can't kill him. ;)
Please! I don't know what kinda pussy Paladins you hang out with, but any who don't push you aside so they get first dibs don't deserve their nuts.

It'll be neat to see how a LG paladin handles things when someone he knows turns into a wight.
If there's no way to reverse it then he must clearly be put out of his misery.

Fyrestryke

Explorer
BobProbst said:
Please! I don't know what kinda pussy Paladins you hang out with, but any who don't push you aside so they get first dibs don't deserve their nuts.

If there's no way to reverse it then he must clearly be put out of his misery.

Haha! My kind of Paladin.

BTW - you might wanna play a holy warrior from Book of the Righteous. Just pick two domains that fit Tyr. Holy warriors put paladins to shame...IMHO.

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Fyrestryke said:
Well, play any alignment you want except evil. I just don't like Lawful myself because I start to whack the necromancer, but the Paladin says we can't kill him.

I don't see how that follows. Lawful just means that society is more important than the individual. Lawful good means Good Society is more important than any one person. To quote Spock, "The good of the many outweighs the good of the few."

Chaos means the individual is more important than the whole. Chaotic Good means a person does good because it is of individual benefit to himself. To paraphrase Capt. Kirk and Amanda (Spock's mother), "The good of the one outweighs the good of the many."

A paladin is a defender of society, not a defender of the self. He MUST be Lawful. And he will KILL to protect society if that is what is called for. If the good of society is that a wight must be killed, then that overrides the good of the friend who became the wight. Thus the wight is killed by the paladin. Paladins can be Lawful Good without being pansies. It just means they are dedicated to the larger picture, and tend to be quite fanatical in the defense of a good society that helps the majority.

A paladin must be willing to sacrifice himself for the overall goal and for the overall good. A chaotic person is much less willing to make personal sacrifices for others - their focus is on themselves and what is best for them, and if it helps others, great. The Lawful person is dedicated to the larger picture and considers himself but a minor element, one that can be discarded if necessary. Paladins must be Lawful Good, or their entire purpose in Inzeladun erodes.

A paladin will save the society/world over and over again, even at great personal expense (including wealth, position, goals, health, etc.), believing that protecting the whole is worth it, even if he should perish or his own personal goals should go unaccomplished. No sacrifice is too great if it will save the world. The paladin will risk sanity, life, limb and personal happiness to secure a better world for as many people as possible. That is the paladin... and he must remain Lawful Good or all of that becomes lost in the need to take care of the self. Neutral goods think there is a healthy balance between the needs of the self and the needs of society. The Lawful Good paladins, however, are extremists. They will run suicide missions if it will benefit the majority of people.

I would prefer Paladins retain the LG requirement.

Last edited:

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Fyrestryke said:
Alignment: Good or Neutral (no Evil). Try to stay away from Lawful. You don't have to be Lawful Good to be a paladin.

Wow. I just read that after Bob posted the quote... and after I wrote the above response. There goes my character idea. I was thinking a Lawful warrior type (potentially a paladin) who wanted to fight undead because they are horrible, slavering things that run contrary to the good of society. I am not sure why a Chaotic person would want to endanger himself without having a previous encounter/adventure with them (with experience points) to motivate him to put himself into danger or put his life on hold to go fight them. The Lawful person has the built-in motivation that society's survival is more important than his individual survival, life or goals.

Why do we have to avoid Lawful?

Last edited:

Fyrestryke

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
Why do we have to avoid Lawful?

You don't. I shouldn't have put that in there. Just no evil guys. :)

I don't really understand the alignment system, anyways. I generally play CG characters with delusions of slaughter. ;)

Remove ads