Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Mass Combat

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf I wasn't expecting an article today...looks like a rehash of the old Mass Combat rules. I was really hoping for the Mystic.... Pretty radically different from the previous attempt, much more abstract and fast paced; which is good, because it has been gestating for two years! mearls has been talking up various DM...

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

I wasn't expecting an article today...looks like a rehash of the old Mass Combat rules.

I was really hoping for the Mystic....
Pretty radically different from the previous attempt, much more abstract and fast paced; which is good, because it has been gestating for two years!
[MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] has been talking up various DM options in the works; looks like those will get the exposure for a little bit, now.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

zaratan

First Post
I understand that this system is thinking that most part of unit is low CR (and will be for almost any armie), the 400 veterans in one single unit aren't "realistic" at all.

Still, some things that should change:
- The limitation of range for 0 damage is way to low, each attack rolled 20 should remove at least 1 BR, each defense rolling 1 should remove +1 BR, so the 1 single unit of 300 veterans could be defeated (by tiredness) one day by the 60 units of 300 1/8 CR.
- Need to be a specific rule about mount. Mount should increase the CR of the rider, maybe a multiplier based on mount CR, a house isn't the same as warhouse and ins't the same as a wyrm, but the most important is what he increase to the riders power.
-The fail in morale check should decrease the morale rating, not an auto flee. Is hard to think that a +8 morale unit would flee because of 1 attack that reduce BR in 5 (ok, and 1 in the result of morale check).
-Flank by 2 units give advantage.
-Shouldn't morale add something in attack/defense?

Chaosmancer

Legend
So 400 veterans always win against the 44 storm giants.

Then the DM decides that the 400 veterans should rather be modelled as two separate units of half their size (200). DM tosses in an extra commander for the second unit.

The result is that those 2 separate units now have half BR (or 416 with one commander each) and will now always lose.

Currently, there has to be some DM's key decision on how to model the armies (how many units and what size and composition), if you want both sides to have a chance at winning. Otherwise, you don't run the battle but simply announce the outcome. This fact is not explained by these rules.

The BR is so swingy because it currently represents the equivalent of BOTH a unit's attack/defense bonus and hit points!!

So either we accept that the DM does some work on the initial units representation, or we have to increase the system complexity a bit, by using two different battle ratings instead of just one.

Then why bother having the rules?

I'm serious, if the DM in deciding the make up of the armies can set the outcome to be inevitable then what is the point of the rules?

This is a system designed to be used to represent battles the PC's might not have a direct hand in. It removes large and traditional strategic elements (walls only give advantage/disadvantage currently, which will never overcome the 20 point swing... meaning that you do not need a 1 to 3 advantage to take the walls) while making the outcome either a mathematical certainty or a slog through massive amounts of "hp".

And one thing that we haven't taked about for how long this would take is that you obviously aren't going to have only a single unit. To model the horde from the battle of Helmsdeep you should have multiple units, and resolving 20 units that take 8 rounds each to break and run... I'd rather pull out Axis and Allies, at least there I'll be able to meaningfully contribute.

The point of rules like this is so that the DM doesn't just arbitrarily decide the outcome... and these rules are set up so the DM can mathematically set up the outcome they desire leaving the players with no agency unless they stop using the mass combat rules and zoom in to normal DnD rules.

The abstraction is needed to simplify the Mass Combat System and make it easy to handle. But as others have said, the BR makes the System unbalanced. Li Shennon has well explained why:

BR has an high score because it need to rappresent hit points other than attack. But it is precisely this high score that makes BR more unbalanced. On the other hand, BR as Attack AND Hit Points has the value of allowing a more credible game situation: with the increasing of casualties, the Unit attack power decreases.

I think the latter feature needs to be kept.
In order to obtain this, I suggest that BR could be used as a Score that gives a aseparate modifier to Attack...like an Ability Score, that gives an highter modifier the higher is the Score. Simply, in this case Battle Rating will be an Health Score that gives a separate modifier to Attack.

And so we would have:

• BR continue to be calculated as described in the Playtest document, in base of the creatures CR.
  • Every few BR points (10? 20? 50?) the Unit receives +1 in Attack. The Attack check will no longer be 1d20 + BR, but 1d20 + Attack.
  • BR, instead, will count only as an Health score. A succesfull Attack will procude a loss of BR points. The more BR points the Unit lose, the less will be the Attack score.
  • When the Unit BR falls below half of its original score, the Unit is destroyed.

What do you think?

Could potentially work, but there are a few bugs.

For instance when we get High CR creatures, each creature represents multiple BR. IF you have a unit of say CR 10 creatures, each one represents 12 BR. A loss of 5 BR then is... them losing half of a individual? It would represent them being injured sure, but then would that effect their damage?

It's highly highly abstract as a part of the design, sure, but it feels weird to me as a DM to see a unit losing attack power because one of it's members suffered some minor injuries, when to lose an equivalent amount for another unit requires the deaths of dozens of soldiers.

Still, breaking the Attack and Health into two seperate numbers gives us space to make adjustments to attacks do to things like tactics or terrain that can actually shift the battle, and making the numbers smaller gives the d20 more of a chance to matter.

However, to make the d20 decisive in a fight, you still need a difference of about 10 or less, so shrinking the numbers from 800 to 80 and 600 to 60 gives the smaller group a single opportunity to get lucky, but after that they will never recover unless we have ways to improve their attack mid-battle.

Tangent-> It is immensely amusing to me that we keep trying to put mass combat rules in DnD. DnD started as a variant of wargaming where the players could have special commander-esque units to control instead of massed groups of troops. Now we are trying to go back and make these special single pcs fight on the scale of massed groups of troops. The circle will be complete if we can ever find a system that satisfies us.

designbot

Explorer
It seems like there's a cleaner option that would balance itself automatically:

• Form units of however many identical creatures you want, in any formation. They occupy the normal amount of space (i.e. 5' x 5' per Medium creature), but you can abstract the units of area (i.e. up to 100 Medium creatures in each 50' square) for convenience if you like.
  • Calculate the total HP for each unit by multiplying the standard HP for each creature by the number of creatures.
  • Roll initiative for each unit. Treat PC's and major NPC's as individual units.
  • If you want different types of units to work together, you can combine them into a group. The group shares the intiative count of the lowest member in the group. They can move simultaneously, but each unit takes its own actions and tracks its HP separately.
  • For each unit, take any actions you would usually be able to take for creatures of that type (i.e. move, attack, dash, disengage, dodge, special attacks, etc.). For each attack roll or saving throw, you roll once for the entire unit, using the stats for an individual creature.
  • If you're attacking vs. AC, use the individual AC for the type of creature(s) being attacked.
  • On a hit, roll the damage for the attack once (or take the average) and multiply it by the number of creatures in the attacking unit. (Apply any special effects, resistances, vulnerabilities, or immunities.)
  • Subtract the total damage from the total HP of the attacked unit. At any time, you can divide the total HP by the individual HP (rounding up) to determine how many creatures are left in the unit.
  • PC's can take their regular actions, or Help a unit to give them advantage on their attack roll.
  • If you want to get past an enemy unit without defeating it first, use the Overrun option on pg. 272 of the DMG—make an Athletics contest using one roll for each unit, multiplied by the number of creatures. Passing through the other unit is difficult terrain, so it may take more than one turn to press through the hostile unit's space, depending on how large it is.
  • You can take an opportunity attack on a unit that attempts to move out of melee range without disengaging.
  • By default, you can treat an entire unit as in range for melee or ranged attacks if any part of the targeted unit is in range of any part of the attacking unit. However, if it's tactically significant to determine range in more detail, or if it's dramatically appropriate, you can split or merge units during a battle at will.
    • For instance, if a PC wades into a huge battle, you could temporarily split the creatures within range of the PC into one or more separate units, instead of having the entire army make one attack roll against the PC.
    • As another example, if a unit failed a saving throw against a medusa's petrifying gaze, only the portion of the unit that was within 30 feet would be at risk of petrification, not the entire unit.

Basically, use standard D&D combat rules, but consolidate the initiative, actions, movement, attack rolls, AC, and saving throws for multiple identical creatures working together. Also consolidate HP, damage, and ability checks, but multiply them by the number of creatures participating.

I might add in some morale checks and modifiers, but it seems like this would be the most efficient way to scale up combat while maintaining bounded accuracy, keeping the unique flavor and abilities of different creatures, and zooming in on individual characters as desired.

(Combat example here.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Eubani

Legend
The rules as provided are unusable and to be I honest if I was them I would be ashamed at putting something obviously not working in front of players. I know that UA is for testing things but there needs to be a base level of quality in place. Maybe they ran out of time and threw this out instead.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The rules as provided are unusable and to be I honest if I was them I would be ashamed at putting something obviously not working in front of players. I know that UA is for testing things but there needs to be a base level of quality in place.

Why?

SilentWolf

First Post
Could potentially work, but there are a few bugs.

For instance when we get High CR creatures, each creature represents multiple BR. IF you have a unit of say CR 10 creatures, each one represents 12 BR. A loss of 5 BR then is... them losing half of a individual? It would represent them being injured sure, but then would that effect their damage?

With an abstract system doesn't matter how many creatures are actually killed. ;)
The only thing that matters is the loss of BR.

However I have recently noticed the BR total issue, equivalent to the sum of the BR of the single creatures.
Independently from the system suggested by me, the BR calculated in this way it's one of the major sources of imbalance of this system (because of the high bonus values).

Instead of calculating the BR of the single Creature based on the CR of this last ones, I think it would be better to get the BR from an Average CR.
This solution would solve at its roots the numerical problem.

The players/DM will only need to determine the Average CR of their Unit. The Average CR can be obtained through 2 ways:

- The Average CR of the Unit is a pure abstraction: doesn't matter what creatures are inside the Unit. You can describe all the creatures that you want, but they all together will always have that Average CR.

- The Average CR is obtained calculating the average value of the CR of the single creatures componing the Unit: I can take all type of creatures I want, I must note all them CRs and than I must calculate the Average CR of my unit.

Obtained the Average CR, the Battle Rating will not be calculated according to the CR of the single creatures. Instead, the BR will be obtained from the Average CR.
For Example, a Unit with an Average CR 10 will have a BR 12.
A similar solution allows the system to be indipendent from the number of creatures and keeps the mathematical numbers low.

The rules don't really need to be workable right now. The question is just if the players would accept so much of an abstraction. And reading this thread it looks like those rules are a lot better regarded than the last one. So now they can take time and refine those rules. This is just a concept paper of what will ve the spirit of the new rules. Makes no sense refining somwthing people are totally not ok with.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They need to distinguish offense from defense.

They probably need to think through mixed units/cavalry a bit more.

They should have statted up sample units.

And they need to not use this BR system, as it will be just about impossible for the math to work.

The great irony is that 5E was all built around bounded accuracy, and this destroys that. Completely.

zaratan

First Post
And if we convert the sum of all BR in one creature of speciffic CR per unit?
Like each 10 is equivalent to 1 lvl in CR table in DMG (page 274), starting by 1/8. Add more HP or damage for each 1BR above 10.

So, a 100 BR unit will be a CR 7 with:
prof +3
AC 15
HP 161
Attack +6
Damage 45
ST 15 (don't know if usefull, maybe for some effect in morale)

a 109 BR would have:
prof +3
AC 15
HP 175
Attack +6
Damage 50

When you lose a % of your max HP equivalent of BR/10, you drop 1 in the table. So the 100 BR, for each 10% of his HP (16) lost he will drop 1 CR point in the table (except for HP, this continue as the current one).
now as CR 6 he only do 39 damage, this because of casualties. Until will be reduce to 0, or flee.

We still can keep morale and add effects as monsters would have for any unit, adjusting ofense and defense and the rest with the creatures . And have critical hit, with is always great.

Yeah, I know is harder than original BR, but away more flexible and (maybe) balanced.

CydKnight

Explorer
I think allowing PCs to make separate attacks to individuals within a unit is the right approach. Overall at first glance it seems like it would keep things moving along but I would need to playtest it before deciding whether any aspect of the system needs tweaking or not.

Remove ads

Remove ads