Unearthed Arcana- Recharge Magic and the Campaign World

shmoo2

First Post
I am intrigued by the Recharge Magic option presented in Unearthed Arcana- it seems like it would allow the players to use their abilities, without having to spend so much game time resource managing. In addition, I've always disliked the idea of the group resting in the middle of the adventure, despite any story concerns, because they are out of spells.

However, it is a HUGE change to the campaign world. Specifically, I'm worried about the impact of recharging cure spells, not on game balance but on the campaign world society.

My campaign assumes that most villages have the services of a low level spell caster with a few cure spells a day- enough to cure some of the injuries and diseases, but not all.
With Recharge Magic, every Cleric (or Druid, or Adept, many Bards) can cast a cure spell twice a minute all day, every day.

Why would injury or disease be feared or even known in such a world?

Has anyone used Recharge Magic and thought about these issues? How have you dealt with them?

Pyrex

First Post
Well, two quick fixes would be a) change the cooldown on Cure spells and/or b) add a costly* component to cure spells.

*Costly in this context meaning just enough to keep them from spamming it all day, say a GP per spell level or so.

Remove ads