• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

dave2008

Legend
If you like fey, fairy tale stuff it's good (wizard of oz, brothers grimm etc.) it's pretty good - I've liked what I read so far. If you prefer high fantasy LOTR or grim and gritty (though 5e is in short supply on that) - you might not like it.

Also, as an adventure it's PACKED. There is a lot to parse before running it properly for a group.
I don't use official adventures. The ones I have purchased I did so for the included monsters and/or magic items and / or new mechanics, which I wasn';t sure that adventure had enough. I am think about getting the DMsGuild supplement though.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, they implied big but gave no context.

I suspect if they make it "official" size and weight ranges will be supplied (Just like they are for the standard races in the PHB).

One thing though. Thri-Kreen can be small OR medium, players choice. That's a departure from the "standard races" and format right there - a big one. Shows they're willing to go outside the prior box.

Edit: Harengons (official in wild beyond the witchlight) have the same can be small or medium, PC choice. Guess this will be more of a thing going forward.
Makes sense to me. Why shouldn’t humans be able to be small, when dwarfism is a thing? And if humans can be Small, why not rabbit-people? Individual characters are no longer constrained to fit within the average for their race.

Faolyn

(she/her)
As someone who is not particularly familiar with planescape (I know of Sigil, factions, LoP, & the blood war), what about the setting needs to be updated? It seems to me that everything about planescape is pretty much fluff and could just be use directly from earlier sources.
Several things, actually. There are a lot of valid complaints that say as written, the Factions don't really provide a lot of adventure hook or PC background material. Some Factions are written in such a way that a member PC would have almost no reason to join an adventuring party, particularly one that travels out of Sigil--why would a Bleaker (life is meaningless) or Dustman (we are all actually dead) decide to adventure? Other Factions are so antithetical to each other that if actually played well, the PCs would hate each other. Imagine a Sensate (in order to know that something is real, you must experience it) and a Doomguard (let's help entropy along by making sure things get destroyed) in the same party.

Another thing that might need updating are the rules of planes themselves. The DMG gives only a small amount of info on how the planes interact with people, while Planescape has tons of different rules and sub-rules, including things like how high a level spell priests can cast if they're on a different outer plane, and whether or not your spells or magic items are effective on a particular plane or even in a particular god's domain. While probably very little of this needs to actually be converted, actual rules on how magic works in the outer planes would be useful.

I have never played Planescape: Torment (it's on my Steam wish list, for whenever it goes on sale and I have a computer that won't choke), but I've heard you can do things like think certain creatures out of existence. That's a very Planescape thing, since belief and thought shape everything there, but it's not covered in 2e's rules. I bet that there could be rules for that, though.

You missed my point their was no Spelljammer Elven subrace, they came from regular Elven Subraces except for Drow, Sea Elves (who no longer have a water requirement blocking them), and I guess the Elven subraces that didn't exist yet (Pallid, Eladarin, Shadar Kai). Wild, Wood, Sun (High), Moon (High), etc... all could join the Imperial Elven Navy, the Imperial Elven Navy had no subrace of its own, so there is nothing to rename.
You missed my point that they could change the lore on that and make them a single subrace.

Edit: or make them the subrace that is in charge and recruits the others.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads