• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Faolyn

(she/her)
Basically all races are now human size, human weight, and human lifespan. Races like the thri keen which were hundreds of pounds, and lives only a tiny amount of time were defined by aspects like that. It's removing what makes the differnt playable species unique.
Well, autognomes are Small and plasmoids are Small or Medium. The bit on life span, size, and weight does say "typically" and also that some races can live for hundreds of years.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I hate the new Trance ability. I'm assuming it's just an oversight. Having characters long rest on different time frames is awful.

I love the Autognome and Giff. While they don't have ASIs built in anymore they do have abilities which incentivize either low or high strength respectively.

I don't like the idea of Warforged at all and yet I love the Autognome and would play one in a heartbeat. Not sure what that says about me.

Thri-Kreen look powerful. I'm guessing they just threw a bunch of abilities at them to see what people like the most.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I hate the new Trance ability. I'm assuming it's just an oversight. Having characters long rest on different time frames is awful.

Pretty sure the Trance ability (4 hour long rest) is the norm for ALL elves that trance. can't remember where I saw that it's official, but pretty sure it is.

In this UA it's even MORE different - Autognomes have a 6 hour long rest (sentry's rest).

Edit: Found at least one Source. It's on page 2.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Pretty sure the Trance ability (4 hour long rest) is the norm for ALL elves that trance. can't remember where I saw that it's official, but pretty sure it is.

In this UA it's even MORE different - Autognomes have a 6 hour long rest (sentry's rest).

That wasn't the case in the PHB. (edit: it was changed in 2017)

Most races need 6 hours of sleep and 2 hours of light activity. Elves need 4 hours of trance and 4 hours of light activity.

It doesn't say that Autognomes long rest in 6 hours. It says they must spend at least 6 of those hours in a motionless state. Long rests are 8 hours long and nothing in that entry changes that.

The Astral Elf ability changes that as it says a long rest can be completed in 4 hours. That is entirely different.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

Edit: Found at least one Source. It's on page 2.
thri-kreen ALSO have a separate Long Rest mechanic

lkj

Hero
Ages can be pretty important. I had a late twenties genasi who got instantly aged 10 years (that module was a real nasty one). For species like genasi who live over a century, it's still a pretty major impact on their lives, but it's something they can deal with at least.

Take a guess what happens if you're a late twenties thri kreen or aarakocra who gets aged by 10 years....
It strikes me that some of your feedback on the survey is that you would like them to specify a different typical age range for the Thri kreen, much like they have done for the Astral Elves, as you feel that is an important part of their lore. They are obviously open to doing this, given that they did so for the astral elves.

AD

Remove ads

Remove ads