• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

unfortunately not Finally settled, sunder and attacks of opp

Seeten

First Post
demadog said:
The table is correct. Sunder is a standard action, but that in no way precludes it from being used as an AoO. The rules for AoOs do not say say that they are not standard actions, only that it can be used as a single melee attack. In fact, a single melee attack is in itself a standard action. So in effect, an AoO gives a standard action (perhaps more than one to those with combat expertise), but that action is limited to a single melee attack. Sunder is a sinlge melee attack, wether its a standard action or not is irrelevent.

Awesome! I can now cast spells as an AoO! Great rules work.

atom crash

First Post
Action Types
An action’s type essentially tells you how long the action takes to perform (within the framework of the 6-second combat round) and how movement is treated. There are six types of actions: standard actions, move actions, full-round actions, free actions, swift actions, and immediate actions.

In a normal round, you can perform a standard action and a move action, or you can perform a full-round action. You can also perform one or more free actions. You can always take a move action in place of a standard action.

If this doesn't mean I need to have a standard action available in order to take a standard action, then what does it mean?

If I don't have a standard action available, how many standard actions can I take in a round?

demadog

Explorer
atom crash said:
If this doesn't mean I need to have a standard action available in order to take a standard action, then what does it mean?

If I don't have a standard action available, how many standard actions can I take in a round?

As the text denotes, AoOs break the flow of the combat round. They are an attempt to inject real-time actions into a turn based game. When its a characters turn they need to be concerned with how many standard actions they have available, but when its not their turn they can actually manage quite a few of what be considered standard actions during their turn. That is, if they have a high dex, combat reflexes (expertise edited out thanks rystil), and most importantly those actions are limited to single melee attacks.

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
I'm just going to note two things:

The title of this thread.
The page count of this thread.​

I love the smell of irony in the morning. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
demadog said:
In fact, a single melee attack is in itself a standard action.

When made as part of a full attack action, it is not a standard action; it is part of a full round action.

When made as part of a charge action, it is not a standard action; it is part of a full round action.

When made as an AoO, it is not a standard action; it is not an action at all.

Making a single melee attack takes a standard action if you're taking the Attack action; it's not inherent in the nature of a melee attack.

-Hyp.

Sithobi1

First Post
bestone said:
Where does it state this in the rulebook, page # please?

If this was as written, i have no argument
Your own words.
bestone said:
This is a portion of the spell. You need to cast the spell to have this part of the spell take effect.
Sithobi1 said:
This is a portion of the [special attack]. You need to [use the special attack] to have this part of the [special attack] take effect.

Remove ads