• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unique religious titles in the game?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Diamond,

It's no worse than mine.

Rob,

Thanks! Next time I need a Norse sounding word (for what ever reason) I'll keep this link in mind.

Wavestone

Explorer
Zurai said:
Some more from Old Norse (I once found a .pdf Old Norse-English dictionary; it's pure gold for finding fun names for things that actually mean something in a barbaric-sounding language):

Rodull: sun
Dagr: day, daylight
Ljos: light
Kveykva: light (verb)
Dagan: daybreak
Fell: mountain
Fjoll: mountain
Fjollottr: mountainous
Stjarna: star
Ofridr: war
Drengr: warrior
Rekkr: warrior
Skod: weapon
Vapn: weapon

Hope some of those help :)

I dont know any old norse, but I'm swedish, which is a language descended from it..

Most of these sound somewhat familiar, similar to the words used now. But a couple makes me question that dictionary somewhat (caveat: I'm coming from modern swedish).

Skod sounds a lot like Skjold/Skild, which means Shield, not weapon.

Kveykva..? Sounds more like an adjective to me.. more like Kvicka , which means quick. But as said.. old Norse. WOuld be better if someone from Iceland would speak up, as Icelandic is much more close to old norse.

rgard

Adventurer
Or "Light-Bearer" It would be a bit of an inside joke though as Lucifer comes from Latin meaning light bearer.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hjorimir said:
My suggestion: The faith starts to call him Luminar, which means the Son of Dawn. Has a kind of 'Breath of God' feel to it (I love Sep's storyhour too).
Sepulchrave is the man! :cool:

And thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. I think I'm going to stick with my original concept, but I'll likely use The Bloodsun, as well.

rgard, I knew that. :p

It's also very similar to Apollo's divine title... "Light-Bringer".

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Nightfall said:
Diamond,

It's no worse than mine.
After thinking about it, I thought I might modify them a bit for Apollo...

Sunsoul (lowest title)
Soulbrother
Soulfather (mid rank)
Soulbringer
Soul & Shield
Soul & Sword
Soul of Might
Soul of the Blessed
Soul of Eternum (highest rank)

What do you think?
Nightfall said:
Rob,

Thanks! Next time I need a Norse sounding word (for what ever reason) I'll keep this link in mind.
You're welcome...

Zurai

First Post
Wavestone said:
I dont know any old norse, but I'm swedish, which is a language descended from it..

Most of these sound somewhat familiar, similar to the words used now. But a couple makes me question that dictionary somewhat (caveat: I'm coming from modern swedish).

Skod sounds a lot like Skjold/Skild, which means Shield, not weapon.

Kveykva..? Sounds more like an adjective to me.. more like Kvicka , which means quick. But as said.. old Norse. WOuld be better if someone from Iceland would speak up, as Icelandic is much more close to old norse.

If I'm remembering correctly, the dictionary was from a college language professor, on some random college website. Still, even if it's not perfectly accurate, it's at least a reasonable facsimile thereof, which is all I need :)

Sir Brennen

Legend
Just throwing my own Hindi-influenced titles out there for everyone's consideration:

Noble Titles
Mahrana: Emperor
Phad: Vicerory; Emperor's representative for a group of kingdoms
Rana: King
Kuhrana: Prince
Udo: Royal Advisor
Thakur: Landed Noble, often a merchant who has garnered royal favor
Sabbar: Military Noble
Fajdar: Foreign King (Vassal)

Religious Titles
Guruji: High Priest
Guru: Priest