Unpopular Geek Media Opinions

Riley

Legend
Adric was a thoughtful and sensitive soul.

I second your unpopular opinion!

Adric was wonderful.

Probably because I was a sad, math-nerdy 11-year-old who discovered and fell in love with Doctor Who through Full Circle, State of Decay, and Warriors’ Gate.

I so wanted to be Adric, escaping to somewhere more interesting than where I lived, where I could adventure and be appreciated.

It really, really sucked for me when they killed him. His final, “Now I'll never know if I was right” was a perfectly horrible way to go.

At the time, it also seemed a perfect encapsulation of the very worst thing I imagined about death. (Then, definitely not now.)

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Ah, Go Pros are okay. They let you shoot stuff you couldn't otherwise do.

Yes, the quality of the image is not as good as one would get from a top of the line Arri, or Red Camera. Truth is most people don't notice small (or even fairly large) changes in image quality.

Please note that my defence of GoPro should not be construed to be any sort of defence for the live action The Hobbit movies. They sucked.

Ryujin

Legend
Ah, Go Pros are okay. They let you shoot stuff you couldn't otherwise do.

Yes, the quality of the image is not as good as one would get from a top of the line Arri, or Red Camera. Truth is most people don't notice small (or even fairly large) changes in image quality.

Please note that my defence of GoPro should not be construed to be any sort of defence for the live action The Hobbit movies. They sucked.
But you don't even need top of the line. Even something like a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema would have been miles better. And given the budget they likely paid more for toothpicks, for Crafty, than a few of those (with appropriate lenses) would have cost. I've even considered buying a 6K unit, just to screw around with. A Red would have been well within their budget and wouldn't have taken much more effort to use. GoPro is just lazy and even I could see the difference.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I seriously dislike japanese style cartoons, moving or not. It’s probably an age thing. Nevertheless, I get really grumpy when explicit and implicit anime thingy stuff infects and poison otherwise good nerd media and games.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
But you don't even need top of the line. Even something like a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema would have been miles better. And given the budget they likely paid more for toothpicks, for Crafty, than a few of those (with appropriate lenses) would have cost. I've even considered buying a 6K unit, just to screw around with. A Red would have been well within their budget and wouldn't have taken much more effort to use. GoPro is just lazy and even I could see the difference.

I don't like to judge decisions like this too harshly. There's many reasons why a specific technical decision is made. And yes, sometimes it's stupid reasons. Believe me, I have been on the receiving end of stupid technical decisions more times than I can count. But I can't say definitively so I'm gonna err on the side of "Making a movie is tough, all sorts of compromises need to be made."

Remove ads