• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular Geek Media Opinions

Thourne

Hero
I never read it though I watched the Netflix series. I've read American Gods and several of his short stories.
Thanks, was just curious. Some fantastic stuff in them.
I love Neverwhere and Good Omens to death, as well as American Goods and others.

*Edit: The wife and I saw him for I think the 5th time just last year for live selected readings up in the Windy City.
Big fans ourselves.

Lucas was an old 60s guy. The Empire is quite clearly supposed to be the Nazis. Palpatine gains power through a democratic process and is allowed to do so by a crisis and a war, just like Hitler in Weimar Germany. It's a clear parallel.

Maybe that's what he intended.

The story he actually gave us was the tale of a fascist theocracy that ruled the galaxy for a thousand generations. The Jedi controlled a false democracy that was a figurehead government which only existed to keep the ruling class in power, while they used brainwashed child soldiers to preside over a galaxy of inequality, slavery, and corruption. They were only toppled when Palpatine infiltrated their ranks by using their own nefarious methods against them.

What? This is the unpopular opinions thread, after all. You know who agrees with me? Yoda. In the best Star Wars movie since Empire: The Last Jedi. There's a reason he wants the history of the Jedi destroyed. In death he realized they were the bad guys, and that the way of the future was to build something completely new based off the the illusory ideals they portrayed rather then the ones they actually embraced when they were in power.

I think you may be mixing up Sheriden with Sinclair, the first captain of the station. Sinclair's actor, Michael O'Hare, is the one who had some terrible challenges to overcome.

Yes, you're right. Sinclair is who I was thinking about.

I am not sure exactly what you're referring to there.
Survivors, episode 11. Garibaldi is accused of setting a bomb during a presidential visit. The head of the presidential security takes Garibaldi alone to a possible bomb location.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I have cried, as a whole-ass grown-ass man, over the narratives of more video games than TV/movies-- and I can tally either on the fingers of one hand.

Terminator: Dark Fate is the second-best feature film in the franchise, and is the natural ending of the "trilogy" on every level. If it had been produced and published before the last three sequels, we would still be talking about how brilliant it was today.

I'm actively listening to No Fate: A Terminator Podcast right now, in anticipation of a massive Terminator RPG campaign I intend to run-- so I'm not normally this fixated on the franchise, but it's definitely Top Five for me.

Every iteration of the Terminator franchise-- every feature film, every book or comic, the TV series-- represents a different (and not necessarily consecutive) iteration of the Connor/Skynet timeloop. Discontinuities between them might not be intentional on the part of the filmmakers, but some of them are deliberate signposts to indicate the story is taking place in a different timeline than the others. There are an infinite-infinite number of iterations of this loop, but the only stable endstate of the conflict is a post-Judgment armistice between the machines and the Resistance.

Peter Parker is a textbook example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder-- much moreso than Tony Stark-- and this actually makes him much more interesting as a character than the stereotypical White Knight who is occasionally, inconsistently, written as a complete douchebag.

The inmates have been running the asylum at Marvel Editorial since One More Day, at least, and the way their writers and editors discuss the situation indicates they don't give a damn about their fanbase and don't understand why they should care about their fanbase. They've fully embraced their role as the feeding trough for the writers and directors at Marvel Studios and there's simply no reason left to care about any of the characters or the storylines until they've been picked up (and picked through) the dross they're printing.

The entire X of X story arc is aggressively bad, antithetical to everything the X-Men-- and Marvel Comics-- have stood for in the fifty years preceeding it, and the interesting redemption arcs for former X-villains simply do not and can not make up for all of the former X-heroes suddenly and uncharacteristically spouting Magneto's mutant supremacist rhetoric.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Survivors, episode 11. Garibaldi is accused of setting a bomb during a presidential visit. The head of the presidential security takes Garibaldi alone to a possible bomb location.

Ah, that is one of the few that wasn't written by JMS.

I get it - honestly, whether or not Garibaldi was a suspect, there's no sense for going to the scene of a possible impending terrorist attack without a big squad of goons at your back.

We might consider that a production issue, rather than writing - having that squad of goons would mean paying for a squad of extras to be there, with all attendant costs, to ultimately do exactly squat because whether or not there are goons there, dramatically you still want Garibaldi to be the one to catch the bad guy.

Terminator: Dark Fate is the second-best feature film in the franchise, and is the natural ending of the "trilogy" on every level. If it had been produced and published before the last three sequels, we would still be talking about how brilliant it was today.
Complete agreement on this. The fact this bombed and seemed to get a lukewarm reaction in general is utterly baffling to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads