• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Untrained/trained Skills....Noooo!

jasin

Explorer
Celebrim said:
The notion of near universal competancy discourages me as a DM from even bothering with skill challenges. Everyone can swim? Well, then swimming isn't a hazard, it's an option. Everyone can climb? Well, then climbing isn't a hazard or an obstacle, it's an option.
Well, everyone can swim and climb in 3E too. It's just that in Saga, greater heroes tend to be better than lesser heroes at everything.

But I think you're completely off the mark as far as skill challenges are concerned. It seems to me that Saga skills should encourage the use of obstacles or hazards that require skill use.

In 3E, if you throw a 10th-level party into a situation which requires DC 20 swim checks, it'll be moderately challenging for the expert swimmer with +15 swim, while the wizard with -1 swim is just gone. The typical solution to this is: don't use such situations.

Similarly, you very rarely see a party trying to sneak into a guarded castle, because at least some people will suck at sneaking. A typical 10th-level cleric has little chance of sneaking past even a 1st-level warrior with cross-class ranks in spot and listen. So you just send the sneak to scout things out, and then use a frontal assault, or magic to replace skills.

I still haven't gotten the chance to try out SWSE, but it seems to me that the skill system makes it much easier to dump the whole party overboard into the sea or make them run across narrow beams. +5 for trained and +5 for focus means that there's still significant differences between the intellectual wizard, the athletic fighter and the expert swimmer pirate captain, but it should be much easier to create skill-based obstacles without either overwhelming some of the party or making it an utter non-effort for others.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Celebrim said:
The notion of near universal competancy discourages me as a DM from even bothering with skill challenges. Everyone can swim? Well, then swimming isn't a hazard, it's an option. Everyone can climb? Well, then climbing isn't a hazard or an obstacle, it's an option.
You are ignoring the possibility that a given thing can be a hazard / obstacle at low level, and then turn into a valid option at high level. Like fighting in a burning building where you take Fire damage each round -- at low level this will kill you fast, at high level it's just good atmosphere.

I really like that PCs will gain mundane options which keep up with their current magical options. (Like, they can't climb, because it's easier to buy an item which lets them fly. How lame is that?)

Cheers, -- N

Celebrim said:
I think it bugs me even more than that. The problem I have with it is that you might as well not have a skill system at all. The old notion for 1st edition of 'secondary skills' where, if the task is in the province of your secondary skill, you automatically succeed and if it isn't then you don't works just as well without the now useless (and time consuming) formality of dice rolling.
Why is die rolling useless? Don't you roll attack rolls anymore either, since everybody has a Base Attack Bonus?

Dice Rolling can be useless - in any situation in which there is no penalty for failure, it's mostly meaningless. That's probably why the D&D 4 skill system focuses on encounter relevant skills (an encounter isn't always a combat), because that's the point where there is something at stake. (And it's why there are Take 10 and Take 20 rules in 3rd Edition).

Skill Challenges can still be very important if there is some context to them that makes them meaningful. Climbing or Jumping as part of overland travel isn't especially important (except for a few hilarous scenes :) ), but during combat, it can mean a big difference.

And even in 3rd edition, everybody can swim or climb. But the difference between the trained and untrained climber means that at some point, either the trained character feels he has have wasted half of his ranks in the skill, or the untrained one is simply left out and can not overcome the hazard.

In 3rd Edition, Hide and Move Silently are rare skills among the classes. A Rogue might sometimes try to scout the area, but it's extremely dangerous to go around alone - despite him having maxed his skill. It would feel a lot better if the Fighters and Clerics in the party good keep close nearby, and not make any attempt at stealth useless.

Remathilis

Legend
Celebrim said:
The notion of near universal competency discourages me as a DM from even bothering with skill challenges. Everyone can swim? Well, then swimming isn't a hazard, it's an option. Everyone can climb? Well, then climbing isn't a hazard or an obstacle, it's an option.

Not I. In fact, it makes me WANT to use skills more often since everyone has a chance of making those rolls. Often times, unless the PCs had no choice, if a task involved a skill they were untrained in (and a real penalty for failure) they'd skip it and send someone (if any) who had ranks in it because they KNEW they'd fail but the guy who had ranks would most likely succeed. However, if EVERYONE has some ability to make easy DCs as they advance in level, it opens up the entire party to the challenge, not just rewarding the one PC who put ranks in it (He's rewarded by the fact he's practically guaranteed success via die bonus, talent or re-roll).

Example: The Four Iconics are chasing an imp through an ancient dungeon to recover a magical item needed. The imp flies across a chasm filled with burning lava. Hanging over the chasm is 3 iron discs suspended from chains on the ceiling. To cross, each PC must make a DC 15 jump check (with enough room for a Running start) and a DC 10 balance check when they land (to not send the iron disc gyrating and fall in).

In 3.X, only the rogue has invested in jump and balance (at 5th level, lets say she has +8 ranks, +1 str/+3 dex, +2 synergy, and +2 for being a halfling, so +13 jump and +15 balance total.) She can make those jumps if she "doesn't roll a one" on the die and cannot fail the balance. The fighter has ranks in jump (+8, +3 str, -5 armor = +6 total) but nothing in balance (+1 dex, -5 armor = -4) so he needs to make four rolls over 11 and four over 14 to pursue. He's staying behind. The cleric (+2 str, +0 Dex, -5 armor = -3 jump/-5 balance) is even worse off. He'll play cards with the fighter. The wizard (+0 str, +2 dex = +0 jump +2 balance) is very screwed as well, unless she has fly memorized then why even bother with the pendulums?

So you have a hazard/encounter that one PC aces easily, two have practically no chance of success with, and one can either ace or fail depending on her spell selection. The pendulums might as well be an iron wall for two or three of those players, since they are now out of the action.

IN SAGA: Same party, same imp, same DCs. The Rogue has (5 train + 2 level + 1 str/3 dex + some re-roll for being a halfling) equals jump +8, acrobatics +10. She has to roll a above a 7 and then a 1. Not bad, but not guaranteed. The fighter (5 train in jump +2 level +3 str/+2 dex -5 armor*) has a +5 jump and -1 acrobatics. He has to roll better than 10 on each dice, which is easier than his 3.x colleague has it. The Clerc still is screwed (+2 str/+0 dex, +2 level, -5 armor = jump -1, acrobatics -3) but he could do it with action points or some skill-boosting magic. The wizard (+0 str/+2 dex, +2 level = +2 jump, +4 acrobatics) has a decent chance roll better than a 13 and 6, respectively. (and she'll probably have some manner of movement magic on tap thanks to the new magic system, but I digress).

In this scenario, the PCs are a little more likely to try to the maneuver and pursue. They are even MORE likely to do so if the cleric and fighter doff their heavy armor. What is a roadblock in 3.x is a feasible challenge in saga/4e. The same can be applied to falling overboard on a high-sea encounter (swim), following a goblin warg-rider on horseback (ride), trying to avoid sleepy guard (stealth), or actually having a chance to avoid an ambush from a group of assassins (perception). Even if the bonus isn't all that high, the fact it allows them to attempt them rather than setting the DC so low the rogue isn't challenged or so high that the fighter, cleric and wizard can't succeed.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Remathilis said:
Not I. In fact, it makes me WANT to use skills more often since everyone has a chance of making those rolls.
[...]
What is a roadblock in 3.x is a feasible challenge in saga/4e. The same can be applied to falling overboard on a high-sea encounter (swim), following a goblin warg-rider on horseback (ride), trying to avoid sleepy guard (stealth), or actually having a chance to avoid an ambush from a group of assassins (perception). Even if the bonus isn't all that high, the fact it allows them to attempt them rather than setting the DC so low the rogue isn't challenged or so high that the fighter, cleric and wizard can't succeed.
QFT.

Cheers, -- N

GreatLemur

Explorer
I'm not too comfortable about a d20 skill system that doesn't let me buy individual ranks, or skills that go up passively along with character level. The former doesn't reflect how I build my characters now, and the latter doesn't support the way I think of high-level characters and specialization. Still, I do have to admit that a simpler, Saga-Edition-style skill system will make character-building a lot less annoying for some players.

Irda Ranger said:
People; break away from the 3e mind-set. Your character's character record/sheet is only a subset of who they are and what they are capable of. Are the a blacksmith? Cool. Right it down on the character history / misc. notes section.

The point of the 4e design process what "Being a blacksmith or tailor has zero effect on your ability to be a Fighter or Mage, so we're taking it out of character level advancement." That doesn't mean your character can't be a blacksmith. If he is, just write it down. Done. Think if as "Rule 0 for Players." It's as easy (and as unnecessary to have rules for) as writing a character history.
Frigging absolutely. When my archer player says "I grew up on a farm; can I tell if the cow needs to be put out of its misery?", I don't ask if she's got ranks in Knowledge (nature) or Profession (farmer); I just tell her "Oh, yeah. That cow needs to die."

Nifft said:
You are ignoring the possibility that a given thing can be a hazard / obstacle at low level, and then turn into a valid option at high level. Like fighting in a burning building where you take Fire damage each round -- at low level this will kill you fast, at high level it's just good atmosphere.

I really like that PCs will gain mundane options which keep up with their current magical options. (Like, they can't climb, because it's easier to buy an item which lets them fly. How lame is that?)
Damn good points. I just hope that 10th-level Wizards aren't going to end up being inexplicably just as good at picking locks as 1st-level Rogues.

Last edited:

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Why is die rolling useless? Don't you roll attack rolls anymore either, since everybody has a Base Attack Bonus?

Yep, that's one of the problems with 3rd edition – your average 15th level warrior type can pretty much smack any monster in the MM unless they roll a natural "1".

BryonD

Hero
Remathilis said:
In this scenario, the PCs are a little more likely to try to the maneuver and pursue. They are even MORE likely to do so if the cleric and fighter doff their heavy armor.
Which ends up meaning that they all solve the problem like rogues. I vastly prefer the idea that each character use their own traits and distinct advantages to overcome problems.
You have implied that because they could not solve the problem through skill checks that they simply could not solve the problem. This is not the case. Setting it up where everyone can just skill check through is both boring and a cheap detraction from the rogue's strength.

It makes sense that a rogue should be able to do these things. It makes no sense whatsoever that any and every wizard should be able to. In 3X you can build a wizard who can jump and balance if that is your desire, but you are not forced away from the wizard archetype. It is up to you. As I read your example I see no story reason that a wizard should gain these abilities. It sounds to me like a cheap gamist workaround that flies completely in the face of the feel of what an archtypal wizard should be.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Remathilis said:
Even if the bonus isn't all that high, the fact it allows them to attempt them rather than setting the DC so low the rogue isn't challenged or so high that the fighter, cleric and wizard can't succeed.

IN 3.5, I only use skills as the basis of individual challenges, because I know that four of the five other players have no chance of succeeding. As a group challenge, skills are fairly useless to me.

SAGA is definitely a step in the right direction.

Cadfan

First Post
jasin said:
Well, everyone can swim and climb in 3E too. It's just that in Saga, greater heroes tend to be better than lesser heroes at everything.

But I think you're completely off the mark as far as skill challenges are concerned. It seems to me that Saga skills should encourage the use of obstacles or hazards that require skill use.

In 3E, if you throw a 10th-level party into a situation which requires DC 20 swim checks, it'll be moderately challenging for the expert swimmer with +15 swim, while the wizard with -1 swim is just gone. The typical solution to this is: don't use such situations.

Oh, its worse than that.

See, the characters with Swim as a class skill haven't put points into it because they know you won't put a swimming encounter in the game because the Paladin and Cleric with platemail armor and no ranks in Swim will instantly drown, and you're not a jerk like that. They put their points in something they expect to use instead.

Now no one has any ranks in Swim. So even a DC 10 swimming problem at level 10 is too much, because the best swimmer in the party is the ranger using Swimming untrained, with his +2 strength and -1 armor check penalty. He's got a +1, the wizard has a +0, and the rest of the party is negative from armor.

Remove ads