[UPDATED] WotC & Goodman Games Partner To Reprint Classic Modules for 5E

At Gary Con, Goodman Games and WotC announced a partnership, as reported by Brett B over on Google+. They'll be reprinting classic modules, including B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands in a hardcover with both the original adventures and 5th Edition information. More information if and when I hear it!

At Gary Con, Goodman Games and WotC announced a partnership, as reported by Brett B over on Google+. They'll be reprinting classic modules, including B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands in a hardcover with both the original adventures and 5th Edition information. More information if and when I hear it!

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 13.41.03.png

Photo by Brett B

B1_In_Search_of_the_Unknown.jpg
B2ModuleCover.jpg

UPDATE! There's now a press release from Goodman Games.

Classic D&D Module Collector’s Editions!

Very exciting news from the “What’s New With Goodman Games?” seminar at Gary Con this weekend: Goodman Games has partnered with Wizards of the Coast to produce hardcover Collector’s Editions of classic D&D modules! These editions will include the adventures as orginally printed, complete conversions of the modules to the 5E ruleset, new 5E content, and behind-the-scenes historical content!

Present at the announcement were B1 author and industry legend Mike Carr, D&D lead designer Mike Mearls, and Chris Doyle who will be doing the 5E conversion.

Here is the full press release:

Jump into Classic Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Modules with Collector’s Editions from Goodman Games

First Volume Contains B1 and B2 Converted to Fifth Edition, Plus Insider Commentary, and Original Art

Goodman Games is pleased to announce a partnership with Dungeons & Dragons to publish deluxe collector’s editions of classic D&D adventure modules! These commemorative editions will appeal to fans of Dungeons & Dragons across multiple editions. Each volume will include digitally restored, high-quality scans of the original 1970’s-era adventure modules, presented in their original published form. In addition, each volume will include a conversion of that original adventure to the fifth edition rules set. This format allows nostalgic gamers to re-live the adventures of their youth, and play those adventures again in a modern rules set! For gamers with families and children ready to receive the torch of gaming, this volume is the perfect format to share fond adventures with the next generation playing the Dungeon & Dragons fifth edition rules.

Classic-DD-B1-B2.png

The first hardcover collector’s edition will include B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. These classic adventure modules were played by millions of gamers in their original editions. Among other things, the book includes:

• Commentary by gaming luminaries on the history and development of these modules, including gaming legends such as Frank Mentzer and Luke Gygax who were “on the inside” when these modules exploded in popularity.
  • A new interview with gaming legend Mike Carr, author of B1: In Search of the Unknown and early gaming pioneer.
  • Digitally restored scans of both B1 and B2, including multiple printings of B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. B2 went through nine printings in its original form, and there are material differences between the first three printings and subsequent editions. These include changes in monster stats and significant differences in interior art. Two printings are presented in their entirety to highlight these differences. The historical material also includes the true story behind the cover art of B1, which was the only cover image TSR ever published that featured the signatures of both David Trampier and David Sutherland.
  • A thorough and complete conversion of both B1 and B2 to the 5E rules set, fully playable with the original maps.
  • New 5E content providing additional detail on the areas surrounding the Caves of Chaos, including, at long last, the Cave of the Unknown.
  • Additional material for playing B1: In Search of the Unknown, including several completed monster and treasure assortments ready for play.
  • A variety of additional essays, commentary, and other material for play.

The deluxe hardcover volume is anticipated to be available at Gen Con with general release in September 2017. For additional information, visit Goodman Games online at www.goodman-games.com.

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I am happy for those that want these, but I am no longer a collector type. I can't see spending this much money for only a part of the book being useful. I just want some new, small, modules. I bought tales, and it will be useful, but I really wish the stats were in there. Not a deal breaker, but also not as convenient as I want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
For me, the reprinted content and extras will be just as interesting as the 5e content, really. The conversion part is relatively simple, plus B2 was already done for the Next playtest phase. Now that said, I like the idea of B1/2 combined in one hardback as an homage to the start of the hobby for many players but I'd prefer to see future installments as softcover, single module conversions without the original content included. Goodman Games' early 5E efforts were nice short adventures more in line with old school style modules (size-wise, I mean) and I liked that. Picked up a few of them.

The 5E M.O. is to just reference the core rulebooks for existing monsters, magic items, etc and I see no indication that it will change. Only new content is ever spelled out with stats in an appendix. It would be nice to have all the stats in one place, sure, but I can also appreciate the lower page count by doing it that way. After all, any DM is going to own the core books by now.

Patrick McGill

First Post
No i didn't miss the campaigns that WotC put out. A large chunk of them seemed to have roots in old modules. A lot of people have been asking for new material and new campaign settings as well, maybe you've missed that?

Large chunk?

The two tiamat adventure modules had no roots in old modules. I mean, it had dragons, so some people compared it to Dragon Lance, but the similarities ended at dragons. No gods missing, a cleric barbarian princess popping up, or knights with biker mustaches.

Princes of the Apocalypse had some thematic ties with the Temple of Elemental Evil, but again it was all new stuff, no reprinted dungeons or stories or anything. It had some elements* I guess, but anything dealing with the elemental planes will. (*pun intended)

Out of the Abyss was a wild gonzo adventure about demons erupting in the Underdark and having crazy parties, no connection to old modules that I can think of.

Curse of Strahd was a reprint and expansion of Ravenloft, so this is the one true retreading old ground I'd give to you. It's also the best module for 5e they've done yet, so, take that as you will.

Storm King's Thunder is about giants, so some people have compared it to the Against the Giants modules... but again the only real similarity is you're dealing with giants. It's quite different in story and theme (and doesn't end with you going against drow).

So anyway, sorry for the rant, but a 'large chunk' having roots in old modules just isn't very accurate.

aco175

Legend
I like the idea of reprinting and updating old modules. Now that my son is playing and has never played any of these yet. I do not know the cost, but hope they are less than $50.00, especially if 1/2 the book is a reprint of the old modules. I would love to see these published in the old module format shrink-wrapped together.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Large chunk?

The two tiamat adventure modules had no roots in old modules. I mean, it had dragons, so some people compared it to Dragon Lance, but the similarities ended at dragons. No gods missing, a cleric barbarian princess popping up, or knights with biker mustaches.

Princes of the Apocalypse had some thematic ties with the Temple of Elemental Evil, but again it was all new stuff, no reprinted dungeons or stories or anything. It had some elements* I guess, but anything dealing with the elemental planes will. (*pun intended)

Out of the Abyss was a wild gonzo adventure about demons erupting in the Underdark and having crazy parties, no connection to old modules that I can think of.

Curse of Strahd was a reprint and expansion of Ravenloft, so this is the one true retreading old ground I'd give to you. It's also the best module for 5e they've done yet, so, take that as you will.

Storm King's Thunder is about giants, so some people have compared it to the Against the Giants modules... but again the only real similarity is you're dealing with giants. It's quite different in story and theme (and doesn't end with you going against drow).

So anyway, sorry for the rant, but a 'large chunk' having roots in old modules just isn't very accurate.

A large chunk of them seemed to have roots in old modules.

Just what it says.
Yup. I stand by that. Not reprinting of them, but roots in the old modules. An underdark adventure, a giants adventure and then an elemental evil adventure. Like i said roots. Not reprints, but similar themes. The Yawning Portal and Ravenloft are outright updates.

Thematically, they're covering some familiar ground. Thus appealing to the grognards who have played them in the 80's when these first came out (myself included), and appealing to a younger crowd who didn't get a shot at them the first time, as having just come to 5e from 4e or Pathfinder, or just beginning altogether.
It's not terribly surprising that they chose this route as they're nods to classic D&D modules, but with new material.

There are those that would like some pushing out into a different direction, like a new campaign setting, would be nice. I would imagine we'll get a major rules update this year though.

That's all i'm saying, is that they're taking cues from the old modules for direction.

I've purchased all of the WotC material for 5e, and it's pretty decent, some books are better than others, as with any product line though.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I'd love to see some classic 2e boxed sets get a similar treatment; I hope this endeavor is successful enough to make WotC consider it.

I feel like the forgotten realms campaign setting could probably be overhauled in this manner. Take the 3rd and 4th edition settings and re-edit them into a new volume with enough new text to show how things have changed in this area or that.

I know that a lot of that information can be gleaned from the adventures so far this edition, but I feel like a large amount of the setting should be unchanged from 4th edition (if the sundering is taken into account, and then it's going to be much like 3rd edition).

Ebberon, Dark Sun, Planescape, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, and Greyhawk probably take even less new writing.

I know that there's a lot of clamoring for new versions of these (and other) settings, but I don't know how much they'd really sell. Probably enough to make the conversion worth it and to be able to open up DMsguild to other settings.

pukunui

Legend
It also has dragon-masked Dragon Highlords wyrmspeakers. Oh, and roots in old FR lore. The 2e Cult of the Dragon sourcebook talks about the Church of Tiamat's efforts to take over the Cult of the Dragon pretty much from its inception. The Tyranny of Dragons story brings that seed, among others, to fruition.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I didn't say it didn't appeal to me, but the marketing behind it doesn't make much sense, for a company that used to wave the flag of "adventures don't sell", that's pretty much all they put out.

Excuse me, I'm relatively new to the hobby, but when was this flag waved? I was under the impression that most content in 5e besides the PHB, MM, and DMG would be in adventures, for example new races and spells with PotA a new background with CoS, and most new FR setting information in the Adventures themselves.

I feel like they've sold almost nothing but Adventures for the past couple years (probably an exaggeration since I forget when 5e came out) not that I'm complaining. Although some definitely are complaining, I actually like the lack of splat books.

Remove ads

Remove ads