UPGRADING to a dumb-phone

sabrinathecat

Explorer
It's been an "interesting" day.
One day this week when I tell people that I'm busy, and under no circumstances should they call me, (and why), never the less, 5 people did precisely that.
So I'm playing catch up.

And of course, something goes wrong, because I'm rushing, playing catch up. And I have to call someone to get correct information as part of playing catch up.
And in the middle of trying to type in the phone number, my phone tries to help by entering a phone number for me that has nothing whatsoever to do with what I want. And I lost it. And my droid had a high-impact stress test against the slightly padded concrete slab floor. As a field test of the otter case, of course. Noting to do with me throwing a temper tantrum like a toddler. Nothing.

So now, on top of everything else that has gone wrong today, I need a new phone.
I will be upgrading to a "dumb" phone. No more "help". No more "upgrades" that make the interface more and more unfriendly. No more "free trials" of apps I have no use for. No more apps that I have no use for.
Something simple, with actual buttons, and with as few features as possible.

To hell with "smart" phones.
You can help me best by helping me least!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I hear you. I kept to a feature phone until just a little over a month or so ago. I only upgraded because my previous provider yanked my chain so hard I went looking for a new provider, and for my wife some of the smartphone tech is actually really helpful. And if she was going to get one....

But if not for having my chain yanked, I'd be quite happy with a feature phone today. Probably wouldn't miss the smarts if they went away.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I sympathize. When last I upgraded, I almost went to a dumb phone myself, but circumstances dictated that I go with another smartphone. I really don't like the things, and really underutilize them, but...

Enjoy your newfound freedom!

The best advice I have for people who must have a cell phone... do not give out your number to anyone but a significant other. Cell phones warp brains, not through brain microwaving, but creating assumptions. In other words, people will call you because they believe you're always available.

Or just leave the ringer off and don't set vibrate either. I don't even have call display or voice mail, so I don't feel guilty when I see I have 4 missed calls. I don't know who that was, or what they wanted, and it was probably a telemarketer, since none of my friends have my number anyway. Because my phone is in my pocket and not my hands, I can't even accidentally answer a call, unless someone calls right as I'm about to make one.

Also, I hate touchscreens with a furious passion. I don't know if it's possible to find dumb phones that don't have touchscreens anymore though. I'd rather have a flip phone, if that can be obtained cheaply.

Also, I hate touchscreens with a furious passion. I don't know if it's possible to find dumb phones that don't have touchscreens anymore though. I'd rather have a flip phone, if that can be obtained cheaply.

Its possible to find smart phones with buttons.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/nec/terrain-black.html#fbid=Px019cVlkHg

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/lg-enact

I'm sure there are more. They're not the most popular or cutting edge items, so it's unlikely that all stores will keep them in stock (or that sales people will push them), but they're certainly available.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
While they theoretically support about 7 different models of "dumb" phone, Verizon only stocks 2-3 models. And I got the last of one of them.

Remove ads