UPGRADING to a dumb-phone

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, of course. You aren't typically buying the phone at market price. The carrier subsidizes the phone, so they get your monthly service contract, which is worth more in the long term.

Contracts with data plans get them more money, long term, so they subsidize the smartphones more.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I don't get this. I've been using Smartphones for ~15 years and I've never been a heavy user, all these years I've had the same number, use it for private and business use. I'm literally 24/7 available (as my phone is also used as my alarm clock) but have the understanding with everyone that they can call me at 5 in the morning and I'll pick up, but if it isn't important enough their number gets blocked permanently. Only had a problem with that once in 15 years. If you really don't want to be available, you can turn the bloody thing off...

To me the smartphone is the electronic equivalent of a swiss armyknife, usefull. That automatic 'suggestion' sounds annoying if it isn't a suggestion at all. I also really hate the automatic spell check in MS Word that thinks that it knows better... I misspelled something, alert me to it, don't change it by itself. That's the reason why I turn it off... Throwing a phone because you don't know how it works or gets on your nerves is just stupid, no excuse for that. Shees, if I threw everything that annoyed me, that would be a lot of broken hardware and people ;-)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I don't get this. I've been using Smartphones for ~15 years and I've never been a heavy user, all these years I've had the same number, use it for private and business use. I'm literally 24/7 available (as my phone is also used as my alarm clock) but have the understanding with everyone that they can call me at 5 in the morning and I'll pick up, but if it isn't important enough their number gets blocked permanently. Only had a problem with that once in 15 years. If you really don't want to be available, you can turn the bloody thing off...

To me the smartphone is the electronic equivalent of a swiss armyknife, usefull. That automatic 'suggestion' sounds annoying if it isn't a suggestion at all. I also really hate the automatic spell check in MS Word that thinks that it knows better... I misspelled something, alert me to it, don't change it by itself. That's the reason why I turn it off... Throwing a phone because you don't know how it works or gets on your nerves is just stupid, no excuse for that. Shees, if I threw everything that annoyed me, that would be a lot of broken hardware and people ;-)

It was a really bad day.
The phone was needed for what I was doing.
There was a lot of money on the line. (replacing the phone was annoying, but comparative pocket change).
Um smartphones for 15 years? The iPhone (which I believe was one of the first, if not THE first) was released in 2007. What "smart" phone are you referring to? GS88?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
It's 13 years actually: Siemens SL45 (2001), Smartphones are even older then that, Apple isn't new. Between the Siemens and my iPhone 4 I used a couple of different models with Windows Mobile/CE on them.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I had my smartphone stolen a couple of years ago and decided to go back to a cheap Nokia for a couple of reasons:

- Sure, a smartphone has lot of features but not the one I need most of all: dual sim.
- Nobody, not even in this Third World country, wants to steal by 30 dollar phone.

Janx

Hero
It's 13 years actually: Siemens SL45 (2001), Smartphones are even older then that, Apple isn't new. Between the Siemens and my iPhone 4 I used a couple of different models with Windows Mobile/CE on them.

True BlackBerry, Windows CE/Mobile OS phones, iPaq from Compaq. Palm all pre-dated Apple's iPhone.

What Apple did was invent the Desirable SmartPhone. Anything before that sucked in comparison. Even if they were the new hotness when they came out. :)

Personally, I don't get the hate for smart phones. Why wouldn't you want a swiss army knife that doesn't take more room up than carrying a dumb phone, PDA, MP3 player, pager, wifi hotspot, address book, calendar, notepad, handheld videogame, maps, encyclopedia, portable DVD player?

Is it really because they hate the contracts, pricey data plans, SMS plans that are really using the data component of the phone anyway? Personally, I hate that I need 900 minutes/month and can only buy a 700 or 1400 minute plan. Or that SMS is charged for, when it's an internet technology and I have a data plan.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't object to people not wanting smarts phones. What I find very unlikeable in people is that sneering attitude I see some folks adopt regarding those who do like smartphones. It's quite repellant. I know a guy like that and the kindest word I can think of is "uncharismatic". Then again, he looks down on anyone who uses Windows instead of Linux, too. Obnoxious.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why wouldn't you want a swiss army knife that doesn't take more room up than carrying a dumb phone...

That depends on the phone. My Galaxy S5 is effectively much bigger than my old dumbphone was. I could hope to carry my dumpphone in my front jeans pocket if I wanted. No way I'm doing that with my smartphone.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That depends on the phone. My Galaxy S5 is effectively much bigger than my old dumbphone was. I could hope to carry my dumpphone in my front jeans pocket if I wanted. No way I'm doing that with my smartphone.

Well, to be fair, you've chosen the largest smartphone on the planet! It sells itself on it's size. My iPhone lives in my front jeans pocket, and I'm not even aware it's there.

Remove ads