Upper Deck sues Ravensburger over the Disney Lorcana card game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I remember when Kyle Brink was doing his apology tour about the OGL fiasco,and said thar WotC executives had huge anxiety about a company like Disney entering their market, amd a lot of D&D fans scoffed at that...but those same executives are watching Disney come after their Magic market share right now.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I remember when Kyle Brink was doing his apology tour about the OGL fiasco,and said thar WotC executives had huge anxiety about a company like Disney entering their market, amd a lot of D&D fans scoffed at that...but those same executives are watching Disney come after their Magic market share right now.
They are busy hurting their own Magic market share though...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The “fear/excuse” was that Disney would use the OGL to eat WotC’s D&D lunch.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yes. And the executives who were sweating bullets about that are the same executives sweating bullets about Disney entering the CCG market with a MtG ripoff. Hardly seems like a coincidence, nor frankly does it seem unreasonable.
Yes, their response was unreasonable. WotC is not used to competition. They’ve had monopolies so long they don’t know how to handle a real competitor. This is what competition looks like. If WotC has a good product people value and want to buy, they’ll succeed. If Disney makes a product that people value and want to buy, they’ll succeed. WotC isn’t owed customers. If they disappear tomorrow, it’s no loss. 5E is CC-BY now. Doesn’t matter what WotC does or whether they continue to exist. D&D will continue. RPGs will continue. And honestly the industry would be better with WotC gone.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, their response was unreasonable. WotC is not used to competition. They’ve had monopolies so long they don’t know how to handle a real competitor. This is what competition looks like. If WotC has a good product people value and want to buy, they’ll succeed. If Disney makes a product that people value and want to buy, they’ll succeed. WotC isn’t owed customers. If they disappear tomorrow, it’s no loss. 5E is CC-BY now. Doesn’t matter what WotC does or whether they continue to exist. D&D will continue. RPGs will continue. And honestly the industry would be better with WotC gone.
I didn't say the response was reasonable, I said the fear was reasonable. People act irrationally to fear, but that doesn't mean there isn't a valid source of fear.

Yes. And the executives who were sweating bullets about that are the same executives sweating bullets about Disney entering the CCG market with a MtG ripoff. Hardly seems like a coincidence, nor frankly does it seem unreasonable.

How much worse will it be now that Star Wars Unlimited has also been announced, another Disney TCG game?

Not one, but to shots at Hasbro from Disney.

On the bright side it makes it waaaay more likely that MtG does a Universes Beyond Star Trek set to fight back against Disney.

Dire Bare

Legend
How much worse will it be now that Star Wars Unlimited has also been announced, another Disney TCG game?

Not one, but to shots at Hasbro from Disney.

On the bright side it makes it waaaay more likely that MtG does a Universes Beyond Star Trek set to fight back against Disney.
Star Trek Magic?!?! I LOVE IT! Wizards, are you listening?!?!

There have been several Star Wars TCGs over the years, while I love me some Star Wars, it would surprise me if it became a serious competitor to Magic. But if it's well designed . . . and Star Wars is also seeing a resurgence in popularity thanks to Baby Yoda.

Disney Lorcana on the other hand . . . . it's an unknown, which probably does have the WotC execs a little concerned. The broad "Disney" brand has a lot of appeal and a lot of fanatic-level fans, so it could be a huge hit and cut into Magic's market share, especially with the growing dissatisfaction among Magic's fan base. Or it could flop like every other non-Magic TCG ever released.

Remove ads