Upper Deck sues Ravensburger over the Disney Lorcana card game.

Dire Bare

Legend
They are busy hurting their own Magic market share though...
Eh. Even if so, not relevant to the discussion.

Magic has growing levels of grumbling and dissatisfaction among its fanbase, but . . . . sales have never been higher. And there are always cranky fans, no matter what you do . . . .

And regardless of how good or poor WotC's own decisions regarding Magic are, they still should be concerned about their competition, such as the possible hit Ravensburger might have with Disney Lorcana.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Star Trek Magic?!?! I LOVE IT! Wizards, are you listening?!?!

There have been several Star Wars TCGs over the years, while I love me some Star Wars, it would surprise me if it became a serious competitor to Magic. But if it's well designed . . . and Star Wars is also seeing a resurgence in popularity thanks to Baby Yoda.

Disney Lorcana on the other hand . . . . it's an unknown, which probably does have the WotC execs a little concerned. The broad "Disney" brand has a lot of appeal and a lot of fanatic-level fans, so it could be a huge hit and cut into Magic's market share, especially with the growing dissatisfaction among Magic's fan base. Or it could flop like every other non-Magic TCG ever released.
Well, MtG is huge, but as it stands it is number three in markets hare for CCGs: Pokémon is top dog, and Yu-Gi-Oh is number two. I'm sure they will be fine, but any 8 billion dollar company who is number three in a markets going to be dropping bricks when a 167 billion dollar company comes into direct competition.

Dire Bare

Legend
Well, MtG is huge, but as it stands it is number three in markets hare for CCGs: Pokémon is top dog, and Yu-Gi-Oh is number two. I'm sure they will be fine, but any 8 billion dollar company who is number three in a markets going to be dropping bricks when a 167 billion dollar company comes into direct competition.
For some reason, I always forget about Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon . . . . .

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Magic has growing levels of grumbling and dissatisfaction among its fanbase, but . . . . sales have never been higher. And there are always cranky fans, no matter what you do . . . .
Sales are higher than ever, yet Magic is still shrinking. In my country the largest distribution network for MTG used to be a certain department store that is widespread across the country. And in the last month they have just stopped stocking Magic. This despite the collectible department getting larger and larger. And lets not talk LGS. I'm lucky the one closest to me is an official WPN store, but even they have slowed down with Magic while at the same time they keep having weekly Yugioh events.

Dire Bare

Legend
Sales are higher than ever, yet Magic is still shrinking. In my country the largest distribution network for MTG used to be a certain department store that is widespread across the country. And in the last month they have just stopped stocking Magic. This despite the collectible department getting larger and larger. And lets not talk LGS. I'm lucky the one closest to me is an official WPN store, but even they have slowed down with Magic while at the same time they keep having weekly Yugioh events.
That doesn't make sense . . . that Magic sales are growing yet the game is shrinking.

How and where cards are sold is shifting. But that is different from shrinking. WotC is increasing their engagement with online retailers like Amazon, increasing their direct sales with Secret Lair, and dialing back support for local game stores. But sales have never been higher and the game is doing fine.

Remove ads