• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urban Arcana:New Orleans Dept.7 (IC)

Jade Solstar

First Post
Lysander said:
"I'm sorry if I'm not following, but I'm still confused as to how such a fanciful story can be true and yet the world at large doesn't have a clue about it. I mean, zombies?! Where does Department 7 get its information, and how has the existence of this 'Shadow' remained secret?"

So far, it just seems too farfetched for Micheal to believe. He still views his "hallucinations" as a weakness, the result of stress or mental breakdown, and indeed thought he would be passed over for this assignment when the doctor administering the psych evaluation got him to fess up to them. He had seemed particularily interested in his visions, asking very detailed and articulate questions about the nature of the "monsters" he'd seen....

While Mike hasn't recovered from the bomb Stephens has just dropped on the room, he enjoys a brief moment of clarity and scans the room, observing the others, gauging their reactions.

The Director replies with "Well one key factor about the Shadow is that anything from it wether creature or otherwise is cloaked at all times in it, such that you weren't aware of Derrik's actual heritage until it was made apparent for you. Denizens of Shadow fade back nto Shadow when they die, thus they leave no evidence they were ever here. The Shadow will shield through innate ability any creature from it so that it is not known by the world at large in its true form. Your kindergarden teacher could have been a hobgoblin and you would never have known and truth be told she herself could have had no clue as the average person doesn't want to know the truth of reality, they prefer their dream world as it is.

Now that you all are becoming more -aware- you will see thru the illusion of the Shadow and see the true form of Shadow Denizens. Some creatures are stronger in power than others and can shield themselves from all but the truest seekers of Shadow..."

ShadowX

First Post
Robert Mendel

Robert's face betrays the intensity of his own inner contemplation of the Director's words and for a brief moment, anguish crosses his face. Suddenly his face changes back to normal and he exclaims "What is their purpose, this Shadow?"

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Austin Krenek: (Human/Male/Fast 1)

Austin leans back in his chair remembering that fateful day in the jungle as he tries to digest the questions and answers that have already been asked and answered but finaly he askes:

"I'm guessing these zombies are just reguler joes right as their bodies would be gone if not, right? Well what's going to happen to their bodies now when we solve this "shadow issue? How is that one going to explained when and if the familes ever have the bodies exhumed?"

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Austin Krenek: (Human/Male/Fast 1)

Austin smiles and winks at Angela as the discussion of the shadow and shadowkind fills the room.

OOC: I double posted... :mad: Hope this looks better than the same post twice...

Last edited:

Jade Solstar

First Post
Director Stevens smiles briefly and says "Good questions you are asking, that is why you were each picked for this. Well the only purpose of the Shadow really is to reintegrate itself with the rest of the world. It has done this in our past and it is doing it again. It is not something to be feared but we must watch things carefully as we still aren't aware of all the players in this game so to speak.

As far as the zombies bodies I would imagine that the bodies would revert to their original form from their undead form once they have either been killed or the one who raised them is killed. It is possible that they will disappear once slain but again I cannot be sure, every case is different from what we have seen in the past. If its possible I would prefer if you were able to re-bury the bodies but do what you must so that the citizens of New Orleans are not in danger. As far as the families of the zombie bodies, it is a family graveyard and we will handle the public relations end of covering up anything that has or will happened. That is a large part of what we do at Department 7 Headquarters, handle the public and make sure we keep everything under wraps until the right time comes for the world at large to know the truth of our world..."

Macbeth

First Post
James is finally realizing just how momentous an occasion this is for him. "Well, I think this is the chance I've been waiting for, so why don't we get started. We've got some zombies to hunt." he adds in a uncharacertisticly casual voice.

Axelos

First Post
Ignoring Austin's wink, Angela replies to James, "Okay, then, how do we hunt zombies? Anybody got a shotgun and a chainsaw, or do we need to make a stop by the S-Mart?"

Last edited:

Jade Solstar

First Post
The Director laughs under his breath and grins slightly saying "Yes well you will find that somethings from the movies hold true. Werewolves don't like silver, vampires dislike sunlight and zombies well they just follow the wishes of the one who raised them usually. Neither alive nor dead, the undead; but not to difficult to kill. I would recommend arming yourselves but perhaps a chainsaw is a little to obvious.

The briefcases I gave to each of is locked with a fingerprint recognition lock, they are each keyed to only open for you. They can be programmed to recofnize up to 3 unique print codes.

Inside you will find a credit card for business expenses, one thousand dollars cash for off record expenses, an enhanced pda with the capabilities of a full laptop, a Nextel cellphone with full capabilities, a Department 7 ID Badge and your current mission report with what preliminary information we have. I trust that you will be able to keep things as quiet as possible, the less publicity we have the better for everyone.
Their are ten offices in the complex here along with the receptionist office, the file and storage room, the meeting room, the breakroom and the bathrooms. I have not hired a receptionist yet but if you feel you need one place the order and it will be taken care of. Make yourselves comfortable and find an office, get situated and then get started. We dont a bunch of zombies raoming the streets of New Orleans.

The computer terminal on the wall behind me is the one you will use when requistioning any equipment or requests for Department 7 unless it is an emergency situation in which case you will call my office directly. My numbers and email are preprogrammed into all phones and devices should you need to contact me. Under normal circumstances when you place an order it is usually processed within 24 - 48 hours but you can flag a request to be filled as fast as possible for immediate need.

As i stated before you are a freelance operation team, you are to decide upon the best course of action and implement it as effectively as possible with full cooperation between all members of your team. At Department 7 team work is of paramount importance to us. The nature of your job will put you into situations where all you have are each other.

Their are some strange and dangerous creatures out there, I have seen veterans fall under the mental influence of dark creatures and turn on their teammates... You must be prepared for every situation but at the same time know when to act and when not to. I have chosen each of you for your indivual talents and I know you have what it takes to be one of the best units I have.

Now is their any other questions I can answer for anyone ?

As he peers out at each of you, he casually sips from his water glass. He seems to be paying very close attention to everyones reactions and attitudes about what has gone on so far.

Last edited:

ShadowX

First Post
Robert Mendel

"What is the goal of Department 7? Is it just to control the dangerous aspects of the Shadow? And what gives you the right to conceal such information from the public?"

Jade Solstar

First Post
ShadowX said:
"What is the goal of Department 7? Is it just to control the dangerous aspects of the Shadow? And what gives you the right to conceal such information from the public?"

Director Stevens nods his head a few times as you speak and then says "Well our primary goal is to ensure the safety of the American people and that means we have to curtail the efforts of dangerous creatures. We feel that if a creature is not dangerous then it deserves a right to live like everyone else, that is what America was founded on.

As far as concealing it from the public, we only keep it quiet so that society as a whole wil not panic and bring about mass hysteria. Besides the Shadow keeps itself concealed we just clean up the details so that it fits into society's "perfect" world. The average person doent want to deal with the fact that their neighbor is an orc. We have a few special asylums for those average joe's who "cracked" under the pressure of coming face to face with Shadow creatures... Some people just cannot handle such things as it is to much of a leap for the mind.

I do not want any of you to feel as though everyone is oblivious because some people are fine with the truth of reality but they are the minority. I am sure you will run into all types, from thoise who go insane to those who are helping dark creatures to those who only want to observe the changes going on.

Remove ads