• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urn Your Pay (Rae judging)

Jerrand Redband

First Post
Cyian

Cyian tqkes in the sites one last time as the party makes it's way to the gate. Erf and Ter-raen already have started ahead."come on gildrim let's start out," Cyian says. The excitement clear in his voice."We can always take to the river another day if we want." Cyian heads off to follow his two new friends leaving the dwarf to catch up just shaking his head as he does.

[sblock=ooc]there i think that puts us out of town and started on an adventure lol[/sblock]

edit: personal note color above = dargreen

Last edited:

Halford

First Post
"Oh not to be worryin' Gildrim I have enough trouble feedin' this eatin' machine! As to our path, river travel costs coin, cross country will slow us down so looks like the road t' me!"

So saying the Gnome gives an odd little growl and Fenenn strides out of the City. Erf takes a great breath and lets out a contented sigh.

"Not that I mind the City ye understand, I just wouldn't want'a live there if ye know what I mean!"

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Thanks, Rae. May I point out that one of the characters (Erf) is still not approved? :)

For the rest of you, may I have a description of how you're traveling? Marching order, any special precautions you're taking, what speed you're going, etc.? From your description I take it you're heading east on the road out of Orussus, yes?

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]8 hours travel a day, at base speed 20', but hustling for 1 hour of the 8, for a total of 18 miles a day. Erf's ranging about some of the time? If we're strung out along the road, how about we put Cyian, with his +4 Listen and +2 Spot up front, followed at 10' intervals by Gildrim and then Ter-raen, who can move forward fastest. When Erf and Fenenn are nearby, they can take the lead (Erf has an astonishing +9 Listen and Fenenn has scent).

It does sound as though we're taking the road, rather than walking along the riverbank or cutting cross-country. Probably sensible.

When it comes time to camp, and we don't have an inn, Cyian the bard needs beauty sleep if he's used spells and has feeble human eyes anyway, so should take first watch as dusk falls, no? I think Gildrim's status as a divine caster takes precedence over being a bard, so he doesn't need 8 hours uninterrupted rest, just a spot of prayer in the morning (perhaps I should run that past a judge; Hi Rae!); he and Ter-raen, the guys with darkvision, should take the next two watches, and Erf can take the last. Each watch will last a bit under 3 hours.

Anything else?[/sblock]

Halford

First Post
[Sblock=OOC]I am not sure how long each day Erf actually needs to spend away from the group hunting, but he does so as little as possible and remains as close to the party as he can. Mostly popping up to tell the party about his exploits in great and enthusiastic detail. When with the group he rides just ahead.

As for watches Tourvere's plan sounds great to me. Erf will bed down next to Fenenn after spending fifteen minutes or so checking him over and grooming him, etc. He also removes his saddle for the night - though by the rules this is not neccesary it seems pretty obvious to me. Does a minute seem fair for refitting the saddle?

I am rather appalled by how inadequate the Survival rules are for my purposes here. How about 2-4 hours of hunting being required? I suppose Erf does have rations, for both him and Fenenn, it just seems a shame flavor wise.

Please note that Erf's spells prepared for the day are both Cure Light Wounds at 1st, a Create Water and 2 x Cure Minor Wounds at 0th. Though I am always tempted by Entangle Erf is taking his healer role seriously.[/Sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=more survival rules wrangling]Since the "get on in the wild" survival action indicates that you move at half your overland speed, I had interpreted it as an all-day action, or at least all 8 hours of travel. How I envisage it is this: you're moving at full speed about half the time, and the other half the time you're following a trail or gathering nuts or skinning rabbits or whatever. I imagine you'll be trying to do all this and still stay moderately close to the road and the group. So at any given time, you'll be within, say, 20d20 feet of the group in a random direction. Does that sound vaguely plausible? Suggestions are welcome.[/sblock]

Halford

First Post
[Sblock=Corvaithe]Sorry poor typing on my part I knew you meant 20d20, makes sense and Erf has a great listen check so should be able to hear any cries for aide, etc.[/Sblock][Sblock=OOC]That makes sense to me, 20d20 sounds great. Do you want to roll for that and let me know or should I just roll on Invisible Castle as soon as something crops up?

Hope this hasn't been too much of a pain btw I am enjoying Erf and just want to do him justice. :) [/Sblock]

As he rides merrily along Erf murmurs a tune to himself, making up the words as is his want.

[Sblock=Listen DC 15]

"I'll be riding on my dog. He is not a Bullwug!
Adventures to be had bad things to kill.
Big folks oh they are much fun, always moving on the run!
I just like to explore, from the forest to the shore.
I'll ride on 'till I need to snore, but a bitte fun I do adore.
But really I just like it where give its me some pals 'n open air!"

Perform Sing = Irrelevant perform check. (1d20-1=3)

And we learn that Forest Gnomes, or at least Erf, really aren't musically inclined.[/Sblock]

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
"Hoo diz he expect tae catch anythin' makin' that awfu' mutterin' aw th' time? Mebbe he's hopin' th' bauties'll drop deid conflummixed reit at his feet..." Gildrim asks the air.

OOC: Listen 1d20+2=18

Remove ads