• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urn Your Pay (Rae judging)

covaithe

Explorer
With his keen eyesight in the darkness, Gildrim leads the way down to the first floor, then down a narrow, plain wooden stairway to the basement. Sounds from outside, wind and the cries of birds and other swamp denizens, as well as the occasional raindrop, are muffled here to the point of inaudibility. It feels... tomblike.

The walls down here are bare stone, dusty and covered with thick cobwebs. Cobblestones line the floor beneath a layer of dirt and slime and the odd patch of moss.

Several wooden doors present themselves, to the south, east, and west. Along the north wall is a set of heavy stone doors, worked with the face of a lion, matching the brass furnishings of the front door.

[sblock=map]
floor0_01.png

[/sblock]

serow

First Post
Ter-raen looks appreciatively at the lions face door. Somehow that animal makes him feel a bit more sure of his cause here in this haunted mansion, and his steps become a little more solid, so to say. However, his hand is still on the hilt of his scimitar, not wanting to let his guard down. He looks around the area, and seems satisfied that it will not spawn more monstrous paintings at them for now.

[sblock=ooc]I'll be going on vacation in a few hours time, not sure how much Net access I can get. Will try to post intermittently if possible, but probably won't have regular updates from me till I get back home near the end of the month. But still, have fun! :)[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Weel, this is mair pleisant," Gildrim says, in unknowing agreement with Ter-raen. "Whit sae we forgit oor uisual method, an' gae straucht tae th' lion duir?"

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: So Karm is out indefinitely, and serow is on vacation. I don't think you're going to get anyone confirming your suggestion anytime soon; want me to just go ahead?

covaithe

Explorer
The party go to examine the stone door, but as they approach, the floor crumbles out from beneath their feet! Gildrim and Ter-raen, leading the way, reach desperately for a handhold, but both of them fall into a pit. Fortunately, it is not much more than a man's height deep, and they take only minor damage. Less fortunately, a trio of creatures choose this moment to attack, flying clumsily out of the darkness. It is difficult to make out details, as the room dims noticeably as they approach, despite the candle's illumination, but there is a definite impression of leathery tentacles whipping furiously around an undulating body.

[sblock=ooc]Gildrim and Ter-raen fail their reflex saves and fall into a 10' pit, taking 4 and 3 damage, respectively.

initiative rolls. The darkmantles win initiative, and double move into place, one directly above Ter-raen, the other two near the ceiling adjacent to Karm and Kuma. They are each surrounded by a darkness effect. Everyone has concealment, though I don't think this affects the darkmantles with their blindsight.

I seem to have bungled my mapping software, and don't currently have the map file here at work, so I can't do that right now. I'll try to get it tonight, but I'm likely to be busy tonight, so no promises.
[/sblock]

[sblock=initiative and status]

Darkmantle 1, uninjured
Darkmantle 2, uninjured
Darkmantle 3, uninjured
Karm 9/10 <== You're up
Kuma 12/13
Ter-raen 25/33
Gildrim 9/24
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Ooof!" says Gildrim, with the wind knocked out of him. "Sae much for dwaiireven stonecunnin'! An' noo Ah cannae see richt!"[sblock=OOC]Cliffhanger (or rather, not) ending, until you're back from holiday, covaithe?[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Karm lets the everburning candle drop at his feet, draws his scimitar, and tries to drive the flapping beast into Kuma's snapping jaws. Kuma happily obliges. Down in the pit, both Gildrim and Ter-raen stand up gingerly and ready to strike anything that comes close.

OOC: Karm aid another 1d20=16; Kuma's attack 1d20+3+2=22, 1d6+1=6; miss chance (low bad) 1d100=64; readied actions for the other two.

serow

First Post
HP 25/33, AC 18

Ter-raen roars defiantly at the darkness and the deadly assassins that they've sent! Glad that the monsters are coming to them instead of the other way round, he drops the scimitar he's been holding all this dear time and grabs for a nice meaty flail hanging to his side (move action). He twirls it for a quick swing and lets fly at any monster near him! After all, if it's going to be a mass, Ter-raen is glad to make it a mess! He hopes for a solid hit but is slightly disappointed when he feels and hears nothing meaty enough.

Attack (1d20+6)=17, Damage (1d8+4)=11, Concealment (1d100)=19

Remove ads