• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using 15mm Minatures with D20???

TheEldereye

First Post
I was wonder if anyone else had used 15mm miniatures while playing a D20 game and if so what kinds of problems they may have had doing so. I own some 15mm Tanks and figures from Axis and Allies Miniatures and Flames of War and I wanted to use them in a d20 modern game. ANyone try it?

The Shaman

First Post
I think 15mm minis are the way to go for Modern games, especially military games - given the emphasis on firearms and ranged combat, smaller minis, whether used with a grid or not, allow for a more wide-open battle ground that favors those tactics one should expect in such an environment: use of cover and concealment, tactical movement, smoke, and so on.

TheEldereye

First Post
The Shaman said:
I think 15mm minis are the way to go for Modern games, especially military games - given the emphasis on firearms and ranged combat, smaller minis, whether used with a grid or not, allow for a more wide-open battle ground that favors those tactics one should expect in such an environment: use of cover and concealment, tactical movement, smoke, and so on.

I agree that it works better, especially after seeing a 15mm tank Version and a 28mm. Both price $30 for one 25mm tank Vs. box set of 15 mm tanks for $30. Then the ease in movement- the 25mm is a clunker.

But how would scale work in the game during combat? In the example pic the 15mm tank is 2 squares long or 10 feet in D20, the 25mm is over twice that long. The 15mm tank is only 1 square wide versus 3 for the 25mm. How could I do the combats with 1 inch = 5ft? I was thinking a smaller measurement like say 1/2" = 5 ft.

Do they sell battlemats in 1/2" increments? I guess everthing could be done on a green felt surface and rulers.

Any suggestions would be great.

Attachments

• P1010134.JPG
    P1010134.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 94

The Shaman

First Post
TheEldereye said:
I guess everthing could be done on a green felt surface and rulers.
I personally think all games should be played that way, but then again, I still write personal letters on clay tablets with a stylus and balance my checkbook using Roman numerals... ;)

I haven't looked for 0.5" grids, but I'm sure they're out there, and if not it's easy enough to make one using Paint or PowerPoint or the like, then run it over to Kinko's to make a poster-sized version - just play with the scale of the grid in the original a bit until it's close enough for your tastes.

But a sand table, tape measure, and protractor is really the way to go... :cool:

Ry

Explorer
My group adopted 1/2 inch = 5ft (1 inch = 10 feet) a long time ago, and it is one of the most popular house rules of all time. We do it for fantasy, and it cuts down on our tablespace needed and still adds to our ability to run big / wide open combats.

adwyn

Community Supporter
Be forwarned that the Battlesystem tanks are not 15mm, closer to 12mm. Its no problem as long as you don't try mixing in other manufacturers.

As to scale, I'd go with either the 1/" scale or a 1 cm scale, though the 1 cm scale may be a little too small.

For an ersatz battlemat you can do the grid on paper and then get a clear plastic overlay from your local hardware store (look in the windows section).

Warbringer

Explorer
For modern, go 1/72nd scale.

Alot of diecast are done in this scale, matchbox cars, bikes, tanks... all cheap at around $8 for a tank, bag loads of cars at Walmart etc.

This is basically 25mm scale, so old 28 mm works well, as does recent foundry stuff etc.

Henrix

Explorer
If you're going for smaller scales I'd recommend 10mm figures from Pendraken!
They have their own dungeon builder sets, like dwarven forge, but cuter!

And check out these monster minis:
monsters1.jpg

monsters2.jpg

furniture1.jpg

(Sadly I have too many 25/28/32mm miniatures to even consider changing scale.)

TheEldereye

First Post
adwyn said:
Be forwarned that the Battlesystem tanks are not 15mm, closer to 12mm. Its no problem as long as you don't try mixing in other manufacturers.

Okay excuse the dumb question - but battlesystem tanks - are you talking about the Axis & Allies tanks or something else.

I was thinking of either buying up some A&A minis or getting some Flames of War stuff -- both are listed as 15mm -- so I assume they are? Does anyone know different.

I've been using Tac-Tiles for my D&D games and it looks like I could use the 1" = 10 ft. rule and allow two minis per square, when we played WW2 in the past I stuck to using a green felt map, so I may do the same.

adwyn

Community Supporter
I'm sorry, yes I meant that the new Axis and Allies minis are not compatible with the FOW which are 15's. I have plenty of both and they just don't match.

Unfortunately WoTC seems to have chosen it's own scale. They're a little larger than Minifigs 10 mm (designed for N scale or 1/160) and smaller than 15's which cover the 1/120 to 1/100 scale (FOW). Closest would probably be 1/144 which is availabe in limited selection from some of the Japanese model companies.

Were I in your shoes I'd go with FOW. 15mm figs have been popular for some time and should retain resale value where as I don't hold high hopes for A&A, good game though it is.

Remove ads