• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

using 2 weapons, what are the rules.

Uber Dungeon

First Post
my friend keeps saying that you cant use 2 weapons unless you have a power that says you can, like ranger powers.
I think you can just make two basic attacks with main and off hand weapon. (without using a power)

whats is the actual ruling on this? (reference page in ph or dmg)
does a character need to take feats?

DracoSuave

First Post
my friend keeps saying that you cant use 2 weapons unless you have a power that says you can, like ranger powers.
I think you can just make two basic attacks with main and off hand weapon. (without using a power)

whats is the actual ruling on this? (reference page in ph or dmg)
does a character need to take feats?

Your friend is right.

In 4e you do not make 'normal basic attacks'.

Whenever you so anything of the sort, you use the 'Use a Power' action. Every time.

Basic attacks? Even -they- are powers. (altho they're technically their own action as well)

Melee Basic Attack takes a standard action to use, and it only mentions one weapon. If you wish to use two Melee Basic Attacks, you actually have to have another standard action to spend. So, you can do two weapon swings by spending an action point.

In order to utilize two weapons in the same action, you need a different power in order to do so. There are many such powers for the Ranger, Fighter, and Barbarian classes.

Gruns

Explorer
Umm... I'm not sure why you think this, other than "it was kind of like this in older versions"...
Your friends are correct. If you want to attack, you need to use a Power to do so. Only a handful of classes actually have powers that let you attack with two weapons. (Ranger, Fighter, Barbarian for the most part.)
And for the record, you can't "just make two basic attacks" without using a power, as Basic Melee Attack is a power itself...
Later!
Gruns

Remove ads