• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Using a Familiar for Second Concentration Spell?

MarkB

Legend
EDIT: One balance possibility is if either you or your familiar are forced to make a concentration check, the other must also make one. So, you are potentially losing both spells for one damage source.
That part would be a prerequisite for me even considering it. Otherwise it's too easy for the familiar to just run and hide.

My suggestion would be for you to come up with a set of additional familiar utility features that can be gained by upcasting Find Familiar. This one seems worthy of, say, a 4th-level casting. This would also have the effect of limiting the ability to dedicated spellcasters, since the spell can't be cast at a higher level as a ritual, nor using the daily casting from Magic Initiate.

That part would be a prerequisite for me even considering it. Otherwise it's too easy for the familiar to just run and hide.

My suggestion would be for you to come up with a set of additional familiar utility features that can be gained by upcasting Find Familiar. This one seems worthy of, say, a 4th-level casting. This would also have the effect of limiting the ability to dedicated spellcasters, since the spell can't be cast at a higher level as a ritual, nor using the daily casting from Magic Initiate.
You'd need to let chainlocks upcast the spell as well, otherwise wizards have better familiars for a spell slot than warlocks who took a subclass to get it.

MarkB

Legend
You'd need to let chainlocks upcast the spell as well, otherwise wizards have better familiars for a spell slot than warlocks who took a subclass to get it.
Chainlocks can still cast Find Familiar using one of their spell slots, and it will automatically be at the highest level available to them. They simply also have the option to do so as a ritual.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If you want to allow second concentration, just do it!
Well, I was looking for a way to do it, and from another SA answer got the idea,"Why not have it be through the familiar?" It would make familiars more useful than simple scouts, helpers, and fodder.

NotAYakk

Legend
Meh, it scales nicely.

Assuming class feature variants:

Holy Weapon, for example, has an hour duration. So you can pre-buff that and cast tiny servant.

On your first turn of combat, bonus action swift quiver through familiar, tiny servant stuff familiar into bag (order is "after familiar casts a spell, stuff it into bag of holding").

Then you make 2 attacks with holy weapon longbow.

Next turn you make 4 attacks at 3d8+dex+item bonus. 2 then 4.

If you go tensers, then auto-advantage sort of counters out the inaccuracy from SS. You do lose a round to it.

1d8+2d12+dex+10+item bonus is reasonable. 2 attacks round 1 without tenser's (cast quiver), 2 attacks with tenser's round 2 (cast tensers, bonus action quiver), 4 attacks per round after that.

If you quaff a haste potion, lose 1 attack round 1 and gain 1 every round after that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Personally, I like concentration right where it is - it's such a nice balancing tool.

Plus if you allow this, it's just another way the sorcerer gets screwed over by the Wizard!
Give the Sorcerer a metamagic that makes the a spell not require concentration. Only one spell can benefit from that metamagic at a time.

Like...even if you don't use the proposed change to familiars, give sorcerers that thing I just said.

Remove ads