• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Using a Familiar for Second Concentration Spell?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Give the Sorcerer a metamagic that makes the a spell not require concentration. Only one spell can benefit from that metamagic at a time.

Like...even if you don't use the proposed change to familiars, give sorcerers that thing I just said.
This would be easy enough, but I doubt I would do it. Besides, Sorcerers can have a familiar if they want so I don't see the need for it.

Laurefindel

Legend
Perhaps a new spell that creates a Greater Familiar? It can attack, and can maintain concentration, and gains HP equal to 3x your level.
I don’t know, part of the attraction of this rule is that the familiar is fragile.

what I’m not too keen on is that double concentration becomes a hidden feature of wizards and warlocks only (and eldritch knights and arcane tricksters too).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I don’t know, part of the attraction of this rule is that the familiar is fragile.

what I’m not too keen on is that double concentration becomes a hidden feature of wizards and warlocks only (and eldritch knights and arcane tricksters too).

Right.

And find familiar is already a really good spell (it tends to be at or near the top of most 1st level top spell lists) adding to it is just gilding the Lily.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Right.

And find familiar is already a really good spell (it tends to be at or near the top of most 1st level top spell lists) adding to it is just gilding the Lily.
That’s why I suggested a secondary spell, analogous to find greater steed.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Only if they blow a feat on ritual caster.

Find familiar is not on the sorcerer spell list.
Yep. Done and done. :)

Pfft! whatever... :rolleyes:

The only reason anyone ever took it at our table is we made it worth taking. If we used the version in the PHB, it would never get taken by our group. ;)

Exactly, which is one of the reasons I don't see this as big of a buff as others think. It is also limited to only touch spells, which limits many of the concentration spell options IMO.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
There is a 3e feat (Familiar Concentration iirc) that allows this.

Maybe the ability could be granted by drinking a potion, and wears off after a while. This would let you test the idea, and if it causes more headaches than coolness, the supply of potions dries up (so to speak).

For giggles, let the PCs face a Wizard who already can tell his familiar to Concentrate on a spell. See if this is a nifty idea when the other guy can do it too.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This would let you test the idea, and if it causes more headaches than coolness, the supply of potions dries up (so to speak).

For giggles, let the PCs face a Wizard who already can tell his familiar to Concentrate on a spell. See if this is a nifty idea when the other guy can do it too.
Certainly this would be playtested before adopted completely, and of course the bad guys can do it, too. :D

Stormonu

Legend
I would like to point out that the interior of the bag of holding is a pocket dimension. Putting the familiar in it should count as "on another plane" and break its ability to maintain the 2nd concentration spell.

Remove ads