D&D 5E Using a quarterstaff one handed?

Henry

Autoexreginated
NECROMANCY! :)

In the Pathfinder Playtest, they went this same route, except that they made quarterstaves 1d4 one-handed and 1d8 two-handed. You could do that and model the Gandalf clip a bit better. Due to the lack of strong grip, you can still beat people with it, but you'll do very little damage that way. You also close them gap between them and clubs.

Remember that if you give quarterstaves the two-handed quality, you have the knock-on effect of denying monks from using them as monk weapons ("At 1st level, your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.")

https://www.5esrd.com/classes/monk/

5ekyu

Hero
You would put blunt weapons on par with bladed weapons?
As a reminder for all your real world spear-fu logic, hit points are an abstract tracker measuring a lot more than tissue damage. With the exception of massive damage, actual hp loss can only put you to unconscious and risk of death following, not actually kill you.

So, maybe the frenzy meter could be dialed to abstract, not "
*can I stab you with my stick?* levels?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
NECROMANCY! :)

In the Pathfinder Playtest, they went this same route, except that they made quarterstaves 1d4 one-handed and 1d8 two-handed. You could do that and model the Gandalf clip a bit better. Due to the lack of strong grip, you can still beat people with it, but you'll do very little damage that way. You also close them gap between them and clubs.

Remember that if you give quarterstaves the two-handed quality, you have the knock-on effect of denying monks from using them as monk weapons ("At 1st level, your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.")

https://www.5esrd.com/classes/monk/

Good point on the monk weapons, although adding a bo stick or similar weapon back in the game can address that (they were even in 1e).
Of course, if you make a bo stick that works like a quarterstaff, and a quarterstaff that is two-handed, then people just pick the bo stick.

What it really comes down to is they wanted a monk weapon that could do 1d8 just like they wanted a finesse weapon that did 1d8 (rapier). And they wanted to do it by simplifying things rather than making a list of acceptable weapons, such as calling a quarterstaff acceptable as a monk weapon even if it’s two-handed.

Of course, they could have simply made “monk weapon” a property and assigned it to whatever weapons they wanted. But realistic weapons (such as a crossbow that takes longer than 6 seconds to load) isn’t their priority.

aco175

Legend
What about something you can 2-weapon fight with? Making it a 2 handed weapon may allow you to hit with each end under the rules of two-weapon fighting.

I like to think about a smaller bo staff version that does 1d4 1-handed and 1d6 2-handed rather than the Little John version I picture more of a fence post needing 2 hands and doing 1d8 damage. Is this similar to dagger, shortsword, longsword, great sword where we have many discussions over.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
What about something you can 2-weapon fight with? Making it a 2 handed weapon may allow you to hit with each end under the rules of two-weapon fighting.

I like to think about a smaller bo staff version that does 1d4 1-handed and 1d6 2-handed rather than the Little John version I picture more of a fence post needing 2 hands and doing 1d8 damage. Is this similar to dagger, shortsword, longsword, great sword where we have many discussions over.

I don’t have a problem with that, and that’s pretty much a standard technique of a staff or pollaxe for that matter.

As a reminder for all your real world spear-fu logic, hit points are an abstract tracker measuring a lot more than tissue damage. With the exception of massive damage, actual hp loss can only put you to unconscious and risk of death following, not actually kill you.

So, maybe the frenzy meter could be dialed to abstract, not "
*can I stab you with my stick?* levels?

Weapon damage is also an abstract... the hit points separate characters of varying skill levels. Weapon damage separates the weapons. Better weapons should do more and cost more, same as armor.

5ekyu

Hero
Good point. Who in their right mind would ever pay 15 p for a 3 lb long sword for when they could get a 2 lb warhammer for the same amount....
Someone who had proficiency in longsword but not warhammer or who,liked the style and had more than enough strength to not sweat the extra 1lb to their encumbrance.

There is a fundamental choice in rpg design with weapons of how mych detail do you want the weapons to have vs style.

If you make hard mechanics representations you wind up with choices of weapon being driven by that.

But if you make it so that the mechanics are the same then each character's weapon is a style choice, an appearance, an sfx.

Consider spurce... In LotR or GoT or most any fantasy source present different styles of weapons as mechanical difference makers where swords were superior to axes that were superior to hammers etc? Or did various groups, races, armies have different weapins more as a matter of flavor and style (and visual distinctiveness - purple lightsaber?)

In the source, more often than,not, its really the character who determines the effectiveness of the weapon - not the other way around - exception made for the "special weapon" of the heroes journey.

Systems that emulate that often have "class" determine a base damage type (d4, d6, d8, d10) and that can represent stikes with sword, bows, multi-dagger fighting etc. Then the character may get to choose special training/abilities that differentiate them further.

5e tends to take a middle ground. Some differences mechanically but all close enough for style to have its place. Doubt any elf chose warhammer for the pound.

Ü

Last edited:

Overall I think the issue is that 5e combines quarterstaff, something 6-8 feet long, with a wizard's cane or walking staff, which is 4-5 feet in length. 5e's club pretty clearly is meant to indicate something like a truncheon since it's light. And a greatclub is a two handed wooden sledge. The design problem is:

* Minimum damage d4
* Maximum damage d10 (simple weapon limit)
* Must support club, mace, quarterstaff, walking stick, and greatclub and have them be meaningfully mechanically distinct while not obscuring other weapons with similar damage and properties.

And there's just not enough design space for that.

Remove ads