• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Monsters as PC's

shishimo

First Post
firstly hello all,

I am having a dispute, Im told this is not one of their house rules and i disagree. Now we are making characters equal to a max of level 4. Now they are telling me that i have to add the number of hit to the level adjustment and that is the level of the creature.

EX: Gnoll has, HD 2d8+2, LA +1.

They say that this would equal level 3 with no class. This is where is disagree. Doesnt this just indicate that i would be equal to 1 + my class level, exp wise, thus being equal to a level 4 with 3 levels of barbarian?

frankthedm

First Post
shishimo said:
firstly hello all,

I am having a dispute, Im told this is not one of their house rules and i disagree. Now we are making characters equal to a max of level 4. Now they are telling me that i have to add the number of hit to the level adjustment and that is the level of the creature.

EX: Gnoll has, HD 2d8+2, LA +1.

They say that this would equal level 3 with no class. This is where is disagree. Doesnt this just indicate that i would be equal to 1 + my class level, exp wise, thus being equal to a level 4 with 3 levels of barbarian?
A Gnoll barbarian 1 would be a 4th level PC. { 1 LA + 2 Humaniod hit dice + 1 Barbarian level.

Gnolls were built to be foes not PCs.

phindar

First Post
Monstrous humanoid levels are a bit of a screw-job. Look to Savage Species, it has rules for starting monster characters out at lower levels. Personally, I'd prefer to see more LA +0 monsters, because I just like monsters. I can understand needing to restict mechanical bonuses within the system, but I don't think players should be punished for what are essentially thematic decisions. (Sometimes, you just want to look like a gnoll.)

If you want to play a dogman and you don't want to take the gnoll LA hit, see if your GM will let you play a Sibeccai from AE. They're a starting PC race. Or, see if you can ditch the MH levels.

zypherillius

First Post
frankthedm said:
Humaniod level are the screw job. At least monterous humaniods give full bab, Reflex saves and will saves {Melee's weak saves]

aint that the truth, the level adjustment on the doppelganger eats playing up, but they provide for better builds, espcially out of the box characters like a fighter. three levels of swashbuckler, a few of fighter than into kensai makes for quite a unique build, espically after three levels of warshaper. *sigh*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads