• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Portals : Touch or Step Through?

Ninja-to

First Post
I seem to remember reading that in order for a creature to use a portal, they merely needed to touch it. Can anyone remember where this is written in the books? Or am I mistaken and it's not the case?

The question will come up when characters see a portal and try to poke through to see what happens. I'm fairly sure that doing so will send them to the other side. I just need to clarify the RAW.

Tale

First Post
I don't believe I've heard anything of the sort relating to "touch." There's probably specific portals that work "when you move into their square" or "anyone in their square can use a move action to end up in the other portal's square." Which would imply touch or stepping through.

Edit: Checked the compendium. From Linked Portal ritual
With a step, you can move from one circle to the other.

Last edited:

MotP has rules for permanent portals that describe various ways those can work. Its more or less up to the DM what the details are though they do provide a general description. Usually you step through them but not always.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads