• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using scroll of higher spell level

Joust

First Post
Can a cleric who can only cast 4th level spells use a scroll to cast a divine spell of 5th level? If so, does he make some kind of check?

I don't have my books with me at the moment. Any references to where this is covered in the rules would be appreciated.

Joust

Crothian

First Post
Ya, they need to make a level che check DC the level they need to cast the spell. It's covered in the DMG under scrolls.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Caster level check?

Btw: If I want to cast a spell from a scroll which I could cast levels wise, what check is involved then? Spellcraft DC15+Spell's Level? Can I circumvent that with Read Magic?

Crothian

First Post
pg 203 DMG

If she meets all 3 requirements but her caster level is lower then the caster level of the scroll, then she has to make a caster level check DC scroll caster's level+1. If that fails she must make a wisdom check DC 5 to avoid mishap. A natural 1 always fails.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads