Valley of the Dead: Chapter 2 "Home of the sleepless"

Scotley

Hero
Admiring Zinerath's acrobatics, but knowing they were out of the question in heavy armor, Geryk makes for the opening near Thok's tent. He's tired as well, but determined and moves with good speed. "Impetuous boy! Stay within sight of the camp. I'm coming," he shouts toward Zinerath's departing form.

Myth and Legend

First Post
[sblock=Mei-Ying]The man considers Mei-Yuing then displays a coy smile towards the sorceress.

"Truly then, you exceed my expectations. A woman with wit and not just a knack for setting things on fire with her magic. Splendid!"

He clears his throat and looks about, before he starts rummaging in a hidden pocked somewhere in the sleeves of his robe.

"The organization is, as you can imagine, secretive in nature. Members only know of their immediate superior and those immediately below them in the hierarchy. I am called Alfred by most of my contacts and allies, and you may use this name to address me.

I have my suspicions of who are the actual rulers of our organization, but in general our agenda is being hailed as that of the side which ended a great conflict and armed clash that had sprung some time ago between rivalling merchant clans. You see, it's all about the Meteoric metal and who gets to trade and use it."

He pauses, considers the foreign woman and decides to continue.

"These artefacts, they are most, if not all, made out of it. Several times already, in the past decades, we've had rocks falling from the sky, which bring this precious resource to us. It takes in enchantment like a babe takes it's mother's milk and can produce results the likes of which you have never seen in a magic item. Normal items can be made of it, but most all are artefacts. Some items made from this material actually turn out to be artefacts even if the creator was far from one who had the power and knowledge necessary to forge one.

You can then, deduce, that this metal is a commodity which far surpasses any other in importance and value. Apart from souls perhaps. What is even stranger, it cannot be replicated or fabricated using any means available to us. The deities are silent about it or give confusing answers. And it cannot be discerned whence exactly it comes from. We suspect Wildspace, but I at least, have no deeper information.

There is almost nothing a determined group of powerful mages and clerics cannot achieve. Finding out where this metal comes from, and piercing the veil of the Valley are the only stumbling blocks before us. I myself, and I suspect others as well, have been tasked to the gathering of all known items and artefacts created from this material. Some are relatively new, some are old. These rocks have fallen in the past, millennia ago even. Back, when the Valley of the Dead had been the necropolis of a vast capital city, the civilization who lived here had access to this metal and created items from it as well."

He pauses and hands the woman a small, black booklet. Then he resumes his explanation with a calm voice.

"I shall skip the history lessons, for time is not something to be wasted and I doubt you would trust me to take you to a private demiplane where we can talk more at length. Suffice to say the Valley stands sealed by a powerful Mythal now, Epic magic which we cannot breach despite our best efforts. Some items have been... deposited there. Presumably to stay out of our reach. Others we suspect are to be found among the ruins and crypts of long dead emperors and other nobility.

The guardians of this place, now they have given us supreme trouble. So much in fact, that we have been banned from attempting direct actions as agents. Hence me finding you in this most convenient manner.If you would agree to the Geas, you may read the booklet. There you will see all the information we have gathered currently.

As for your price - scrolls can be provided readily. All I need from you is to name the spells in question. The items for spellcasting, now this is something interesting. Would pearls of Power suffice, or had you something more... exotic in mind?

And finally, for protection, I shall find something to shield you from negative energy, though your highest concern must be not the mundane corpses and sprits that walk there, but the Liches and the revived blademasters that have defeated even our field agents."

He pauses and waits for the almond-eyed woman to answer.[/sblock]

Thok turns back, and goes towards the camp, attempting to locate Ferviel's tent. Zinerath casually walks past him, and heads towards the shimmering spirit in the misty glen. The woman turns back to face the demonic child, regards him, and slowly removes her veil. Just as the boy enters his usual battle frenzy and leaps at her to drive his weapon trough her visage, he witnesses the horror below her mask.

[sblock=Zinnerath]The boy finds himself in the lichs' tower. Only this time, he is alone. He hears rumbling outside, shouts and screams, and loud banging on the door.

"He is inside! Get 'em! Kill him! Kill the demon!" Shouting. Anger. A mob, with torches, staves and pitchforks. Zinnerath doesn't understand. He had done nothing wrong. Had he?

He looks down, towards his hands. They are bathed in crimson blood, with entrails still wrapped around his claws. On the floor, he sees the bodies of four children - three girls and a boy, of age between five and eight. Something had disemboweled them and ripped off their limbs.

In a corner, Geryk sits with a massive wound piercing his gut. He spits blood out and waves at Zinnerath. The boy approaches, attempting to help his friend. He smears blood and entrails across Geryk az he attempts to embrace him clumsily.

"Accursed demon! - Geryk wheezes out. - I wish I had never met you. You are nothing but evil! I spit on you! Monster! MONSTER! MONSTER!"

Geryk starts shouting, and men outside begin knocking the door down. Zinnerath gets up, with fear and confusion gripping his heart. He attempts to flee, to reinforce the door. Geryk grips his foot with his mailed fist and grins viciously trough bloodied teeth.

The door flies open, and men come in, armed and ready. A net is trhown over the child, and he is stabbed by spears and hit with staves. Somehow someone manages to gouge out his eye. The pain throbs with searing intensity, and the life starts slowly leaving the boy's battered body...[/sblock]

Zinnerath covers his face, screams and maks his best attempt to run away. Conveniently, this means he runs back towards the camp and cowers, huddled near the ditch within the light of a torch and much to the amusement of the guards. Geryk can see that his condition is beyond normal fear and that he is not perceiving reality at the moment.

Thok makes haste towards Ferviel's tent, but does not find the Cleric. Rufus drags his feet behind the Half-Orc reluctantly, and they pass by Lórquelië's tent. Mey-Ying's lodgings are further down the road.

Ferviel's tent seems to be empty. The camp has been stirred by the shouting and rustling, but it's so dark that only shadows move about. Upon inquiry, it turns out the priest is still in a meeting with Lazarus. The group heads out for the leader's lodgings, and find two paladins standing vigil outside. One man, black haired and black eyed, and pale as snow, hears them out, enters and then returns, bidding them enter.

Ferviel and Lazarus are inside, looking at a map and quietly conversing. The priest has a mug of ale besides him. The paladin a glass of water. Ferviel looks at Thok and his allies and scratches the stubble on his chin.

"What?" he says with his usual gruff voice.

[sblock]Zinnerath is Panicked for 3 rounds. He ends up retreating as far as he can - to the edge of the camp.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok walks in, his sword still with him, gleaming dark reflexions with the torch light. He batters a fist to his chest before speaking; probably an old habit from when he was referring to his tribe's elders. "Dead lady appeared in camp, she called Thok. Thok brave, went to battle witch. But Witch wanted no battle; she wanted tell tale. She... put images in Thok head, Thok think gruffy man should know, he said he liked dead witch, or something. Witch showed big plains, wasted, cold. In front of Thok was Jill, little girl from town, sister of the maid from tavern, you met her, Thok knows. But little Jill has hands with claws larger than of bears, and teeth pointy ones, like a viper. Thok also saw strings, like if little Jill was a puppet, Thok likes puppets. But this was evil puppet. Not good, Thok don't like those puppets, makes Thok have bad dreams, and have to drink and eat until fall asleep. Stomach and head atche after that, not good Thok say." Thok says, his last few sentences seems to trail off into off-topic conversation. He seems to remember what he was talking about midd sentence "Oh, and behind Jill, there be big ice mountain, with big storm clouds up above. There, there be eyes, so bad, so scary... Thok be brave enough to see dead witch face and stand still, Thok unfaced. But Thok afraid of those eyes. They be bad." the half orc finishes his explanation.

Scotley

Hero
"He is accursed with an unnatural fear and his mind is not his own. Can you hear me boy? You are safe now. All that which you perceive is illusion. You are among friends."

Zerith

First Post
[FONT=&quot]OoC: Ooooo! An opportunity for great mischief! :D
Also, I hope this is enough to blow through 3 rounds of panic
Also, warning, the sblocks are long ;3XD/OoC

The Reality:
Zinerath had tucked his legs next to his chest and was pulling them in closer with his arms while also wrapping himself up in his own wings; he was blathering incoherently and while muffled. Then he heard Geryk, he shuddered and allowed a gap to form between his wings, he spied Geryk with an eye that burned crimson with fear and clouded dark confusion, then he realized who he was looking at, and terror took root.

[sblock=The Perception]Zinerath’s body was in taters, his mortal life flowing away in a torrent, and his very soul was crumbling away under its own weight, and yet he was not dying; he had finally earned his place, the one he never wanted.

He could see and feel his humanity perish as his forefathers, nay, his very heritage, revel in his plight.
He could see and feel his surroundings crumble away he saw the lich’s tower fall once more as the floor gave way beneath him; hell had awaited, and it would wait no longer as the fortress sank into a sea of dark fire.

He fell.

He, somehow, managed to get free of the net as the mod fell along with him, screaming, burning; he did not burn, his wings opened and his decent stopped. A grin surged over his face, brimming with jolly madness.
The fate he had feared so much, for his entire life, it was no longer so threatening then that it had come to pass! He could almost laugh as he could see the burning bodies of his aggressors fell down all around him, their terror seemed to ease his own.

Then fell the ruin of the children.

He could hear their innocent souls cry out in anguish “Why” his grin faded, and he did not feel like laughing. He then felt a massive weight hanging from his foot; looking down still clenching his foot, there was Geryk, mangled, charred and enraged, dragging Zinerath down long with him, or was it the other way around?
Geryk’s words were not whole, but he thought he could make out a few: accursed, unnatural. Then Zinerath perceived two sentence “Can you hear me boy?” fallowed closely by “You are a~ -f’iend!” Zinerath kicked and squirmed, he even tried to bat Geryk off with one of his wings as he attempted to prevent falling to the increasingly threatening hell below.
Zinerath turned away and noticed there were yet others who had fallen from tower, one fell just in front of his face, he instinctively knew Ambrose’s lifeless face when he saw it and who all fell with the him, he also say the lifeless face’s eyes snap onto his own as the fallen paladin mouthed one word: “Why?”

Everything seemed to slow down as he felt a deliberate, murderous intent level onto his brow, followed by a familiar, gruff voice that made an angered statement from on high “I Warned you.” Spoke the voice before blazing beams of light thundered from on high, sundered his form and ruined his wings.

He fell once more.[/sblock]

The Reality
Zinerath grew increasingly panicked by Geryk’s voice and presence, he bated a wing at Geryk, then bucked off the ground and into a rushed flight that was spent before it be began. He briefly glided over the palisades, and along its length before gliding onto the palisades; two of his wings were ripped and snagged on the tall wooden stakes.
He fell down, his two snagged wings ripped free just before he impacted the ground, where he landed with a thud and a roll as he one again tucked himself into a ball; his wounded wings hissed and crackled as the dark mist raised and started knitting the sounded flesh back together.

[sblock= The Perception] Zinerath hit jagged earth with a sickening crack as the remains of his form crumpled into the ground; he knew should have died outright from the wound, yet, life would not leave his body no matter how weary he grew of it.
Then he heard loud footfalls, something lifted him by the arm before trying to drag him away, he caught a glimpse of it, it was large, winged, had a wealth of horns, and held a length of spiked chains from its other hand. His foot was snagged, impaled, or something else had hold of him. The beast snarled at the resistance, lifted Zinerath skywards and seemingly attempted to rip him in half. Then another pair of footfalls sounded from behind him, he could tell nothing, other than the assumption of the second pair being far heavier. A hand enveloped his head, yanked and then a spin chilling voice roared “MiNe” a split second before he felt himself being cleaved in half by flame and steel.

Then he felt nothingness.[/sblock][/FONT]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
[sblock=Myth & Legend]"Scrolls and pearls will do if that is what can be done," Mei says, "But I'd hoped you might have access to the carved staves. In the Empire, there are ways to carve runes into staves of jade and wood, such that the runes form spell formula. Raw magic sent into the staff then causes the runes to cast a spell, even if the user doesn't know the spell in question. Is that considered exotic here?"

She nods at the warning of liches and undead swordsmen. "I am sure their power is great...but I am more confident of my ability to deal with magic and weapon, as those are threats I have faced before, even if not with the resilience and immortality of the undying. I only need an item to offer protection against that which I have no power over. The rest I can face more...conventionally."[/sblock]

Remove ads