Valley of the Dead: Chapter 2 "Home of the sleepless"

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok spends his time talking with the soldiers and with the dwarfs. He has developed a liking on the way Bolgrim and his lads conduct themselves, and a taste for dwarven ale.

[sblock= A Thok in a Tent]
"Who be there? Little Jill?" says Thok, his nosetrils widening as he tries to percieve the scent of the unseen child.
[/sblock]

Myth and Legend

First Post
[sblock=Rufus]The woman shakes her head. Her eyes glow with a crimson glow and her features exude a lust that is not human at all.

"No, you mistake my meaning. They cannot come out. Those bound to the Valley are unable to set foot outside it. You..."

She sighs and leans her chin on her palm, looking at Rufus with amazement.

"You really have no idea where you are headed, do you? You think it a game - a jape - a grand adventure? The Valley is death for you and yours! Those who die within its bounderies rise as the unliving soon after, and are forever entrapped in servitude to the grand magics that sustain the place. These same magics prevent the residents from spilling out and overrunning your farmers and peddlers. How else do you think they survived for centuries, before the Temple of Lathander set in and added a second layer of protection with that Artifact blocking the gate? That thing serves to keep others from getting in, more than anything else, though in reality it would have stopped things from going out if that were the only exit."

She regards Rufus and presses her slim index finger to her lips for a moment.

"Robert Trensenth is a lich of impossible power. He is the caretaker for the valley and the only one who has been there since its creation. He is also the only one who can issue commands over every undead that exists as a servant of the Valley and its' magics. That is all I know. In truth, he is an agreeable fellow. But that last group that tried going in, they never stood a chance. I don't think your army will fare any better."

Vivian pauses and gauges Rufus once more. Sitting there, cuddled on the wooden chest, her face like that of a porcelain doll, she is almost divine. Except for the part where she reminds the Warblade of a predator that regards a curiosity that wondered within its' domain.

"As to why I am coming to you - well even a girl like me can hear the talk of the new mercenaries who have been appointed as van for the army. Though stories of your allegiance and the means to which you acquired such a position vary, everyone agrees you are all quite skilled. There was a fellow in your midst I rather liked, but I hear he disappeared this morning while on scouting duty.

The others in your current company are not the types I would trust to react well to one such as myself, and to the news I bring. Neither will the two of your valiant leaders pay me any heed, but would rather see me undone simply for being what I am. And I am rather fond of my hide."[/sblock]

[sblock=Thok]Thok can smell nothing but the oil, burning in the lamp, and the brisk autumn air outside. Well, he can smell the horses in the stables, but his tent being so close to the animals is a coincidence. Surely.

He hears the giggling again, and the air has become colder now. His breath apparent in the moonlight as he exhales. The sound seems to be coming from outside.[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=Myth]
"Bound to the Valley, you say? Now I hadn't heard that... I was under the impression it was more of a prison, built to contain them, rather than mystic shackles. I heard it was ancient, sure, but constructed and enhanced over time." He folds his arms over his chest and a frown creases his features.

His cheerful nature is considerably muted as he continues, "And you speak of other exits, something the Dawnbringer himself seems to know nothing about. He thinks the wall is weakened or even breached. And he'd destroy you on sight for being what you are... Which would be? You're older than you look, that much is certain. Your accent says so. And your knowledge of the Valley is more extensive than that of anyone I've yet met. So I really have to ask this: what makes you think they'll listen to me? I'm a vagabond," he says, spreading his arms in a gesture of futility. "And my source of information won't speak to them. Ferviel seems about the most open-minded priest I've ever met, but I've got the feeling he'd be damned skeptical about all this. Even my skill with words would be hard-pressed to convince him, I fear. Not without something like proof."
[/sblock]

Myth and Legend

First Post
[sblock=Rufus]Vivian shakes her head, as if she had already considered this a lost cause but had still placed hope in Rufus.

"You speak truly. And what proof can I bring you? That the whole Valley is being assembled and will pounce on your army, when you go in swinging your swords and you are being lead by a man who has destroyed countless of the thralls that roamed near the entrance, not but two decades ago?

Ferviel may be open minded for a priest, but the only reaction I have seen from him towards an undead being is "smite now, and then also smite later"

She smiles and gets up, and dons her hood once more.

"I would have made a jest of how ill considerate you are to remark on a lady's age. In truth I lack the time. That I am old - you have guessed correctly. I am Vivian Melville, second Vicecountess of Dùn Bhlàthain and if you survive the coming days, I may yet share my story with you. Being the man that you are, I think you shall find it interesting."

She smiles and peeks out of the tent, making sure no one is near.

"As to what I am - I have been given the gift of vampirism, by a man I once knew and whom I thought I had loved. Yet it is impossible for a mere girl to know the difference between love and the enchanting stare of a hunter of the night. But worry not - I shall use naught but mine own charms to secure your favor, Rufus."

Vivian laughs for a moment, and it is all so apparent now, with her deadly beauty and her crimson eyes, not belonging to the frame of a woman barely in her twenties.

"Regarding the other exits - they do exist, and I am rather proud that I am currently their sole user. Little good will they do for you, however. In any event, that you shall not be able to convince Ferviel and that Trimenheim man to reconsider their assault is quite possible. That you should nevertheless try, is my advice. If all else fails, remember this: when the time comes, I shall signal you and lead you to safety. Make sure that those who are with you will follow. To stay will mean your deaths, and trust me when I say that you do not want to die once you have crossed the threshold of the Valley. "[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=Myth]
Rufus nods. "Trust, Lady Vivian, that I would not have made the comment lest I thought it would get you to speak more on this matter. And I apologize if I have offended you," he says sincerely, adding a short bow. "I would also hope very much to hear your story some night.

"You are sure you are the only one to use these other exits? No one else could slip by while you were... otherwise occupied? I will make my best attempts to dissuade them without revealing you, but I fear it is a lost cause. This crusade has their focus like a rampaging demon. I'll keep my eyes open for your signal. For what it's worth, may the gods keep you safe, Lady Vivian."

[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=Myth]Geryk is pleased that these simply folk have found wisdom. He speaks a few of his favorite parables. Ones that will appeal to the common folk and talks of better times of traveling and seeing the glory of the Morninglord in many places and in many ways. He attempts to channel their initial zeal into a more lasting faith by sharing with them the blessings of the Morninglord. Such basic priestcraft has not been a part of his life for many years and he finds it refreshing. However, he can't let go of the man he has become and soon he turns the conversation to the events of the day to find out what's been happening. "So tell me of this battle where Marek was wounded." [/sblock]

Zerith

First Post
Zinerath took the opportunity to get himself, and his things, cleaned of the filth that had been plaguing him; by the time he had finished he was very tired and, while he would have liked to do other things during the early night, he wanted to rest more.
he could feel the darkening rings beneath his eyes weigh on him and he head to his tent, he found it to be, not where he wanted it, not that he much cared by this point.
When he peered into the tent he saw what he instinctively knew to be a flask of holy water, for the demon child to foolishly drink and thus smite himself.
It was Horribly uninventive and even more tired than he was.

Zinerath walked into the tent, took the flask, walked back out, looked calmly to the stars, had a deep drink, in full sight of the guards that his tent was placed in front of, gave a long sigh of refreshment and reentered the tent and left the flaps open, he knew Geryk well enough to know that he would be checked on.
he also took the opportunity to dime the light in his tent and watch the watchman with dimly glowing crimson eyes.

[sblock=M&M]Latter on, once he was left to his own devices for the night, he would tightly close the flaps of his tent, as if doing so in hastened preparation for an oncoming hurricane beforetaking off his cloak, stuffing part of it into his mouth and then sliding into the bed roll, he closed his eyes and sleep was finding him swiftly, but he never truly wanted it, the nightmare.
Not yet asleep, he already knew what awaited him.

Scenes of hell and of the abyss, he did not like them, but he had seen them for so many years they no longer truly bothered him, or it might have been his heritage that let him withstand the horrors he had to face each night without batting an eye anymore. The thing that hunted his nightmares, it was something new, it was the word why.
It was a word spoken by Ambrose, as Zinerath murdered the man.

Zinerath knew that Ambrose struck him first, but Ambrose was compelled to do so by magic, beyond this, Zinerath no longer knows if the event went as Geryk recalls, where he struck down Ambrose swiftly before moving on, or as it is depicted in his nightmares where Ambrose swiftly recovers his senses, acts only in defense while pleading ith Zinerath to stop while the devil spawned youth only cackles all the higher, all the more merry before being stuck down helpless. Then Geryk calls out for aid and Zinerath, doing what he has always done with a helpless opponent when called, delivered a deathblow and went about his busyness.
Just before the death blow is given, Ambrose always asks why, not in desperation, not in anger, not in shock, just simple wonder, wonder in why something, someone, who was not deemed evil by his god could have such bloodlust. Zinerath walk away and then the loop happens, Ambrose asks why, Zinerath murders him, Ambrose asks why, Zinerath murders him, the cycle drums on and on until Zinerath finally awakes with a gut churning screech of a yelp, muffled by his makeshift gag.

Knowing what awaited him, he could feel himself drift off to sleep; yet he took solace in the fact he would awaken long before first light.[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
[sblock= Thok]

The half orc takes his weapon, and naked chested, he bursts out of his tent. The black reflections from the wicked looking blade danced over his sculptural torso, as he moved as silently as possible, approaching the source of the noise. [/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Mei-Ying read the words, then read them again. She considered, and then prepared. Finally, she sent a wisp of magic out of her tent where it flared into a ball of blue-tinged white light that hovered like a giant firefly just outside her tent flap.

Inside, she waited in one of her more formal robes, hands clasped together in oversized sleeves that hung down, and magic seething in her skin and arms. Just in case.

(Casting Dragonskin (fire resistance) and Fists of Stone...because she is a bit concerned about confronting secretive strangers away from the aid of others. :))

Myth and Legend

First Post
[sblock=Rufus]"Same to you, good sir. I enjoy conversing with a well mannered man. Such are in short supply here. Either that, or they are paladins."

Vivian smiles, waves goodbye and slips outside silently and with a grace that is certainly inhuman. She melts into the shadows of a nearby tent and the night is once more as it were - brisk, dark and relatively quiet.

[sblock=Listen check DC 14]Rufus can hear the half-orc warrior bellowing outside. He seems to be calling for some woman named Jill.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Geryk]John and Jemma look at each other with confusion while Henry speaks, his face showing an uncertainty:

"The fight on the town square, where the paladins came to cool everyone off a bit. Some smooth cheeked lad gutted Marek with a knee-blade. They patched him up in the temple, so we thoughts ye knew. But perhaps you ain't from Angelwatch either.... Ser... I mean Father... I mean Dawnbringer Geryk."

They seem to mean well and are making an effort, though such high talk is not something they are suited to.

[sblock=Listen check DC 19]Geryk hears the Half-Orc calling for a woman named Jill.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Zinerath]The patrol outside sees the demonic child drink the holy water. The taste is good, cool sweet water mixed with leaves of geranium and traces of silver. The men scratch their heads and mutter to one another, but are seemingly relieved and continue on their round.

The boy is sleepy but just as he begins closing his eyes he hears Thok shouting outside, somewhere below his tent. He seems to be calling a woman named Jill[/sblock]

[sblock=Thok]The barbarian goes outside, grasping his black blade, the moonlight shining off his built body. He looks about, but cannot determine the source of the noise - it seems to come from everywhere and nowhere. The horses in the pen directly opposite of his tent seem restless and start whinnying and snorting.

The stable men are alerted and rush to see what's going on, and as soon as they see Thok they comment something about "orc stink" and "frightens the poor beasts" but they remain with the animals.

{Thok may choose to confront them for their words}

Still hearing childish giggling, Thok goes around his tent - it's close to the perimeter of the camp. There, torches push the darkness away at equal intervals and there are sentries stationed further out form the low ditch and palisade.

Suddenly, Thok sees a familiar gloomy figure - white as mist, ethereal and silent, that appears in a small glen far from the safety of the light of the torches. The half-orc has a keen, if black and white, vision at night that allows him to notice the Lady while the watchmen remain oblivious.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mei-Ying]Without much ado, a man appears inside her tent, in a flash of familiar white energy that can only be a Teleportation spell.

The man is middle aged, with a well kept black beard and plain features to his face. He is brown eyed, dressed in a rich red grab that speaks of a spellcaster, but otherwise wears no distinctive jewelry or other notable items.

"Good evening madam. First, let me start by apologizing for this sudden intrusion. In fact, I would not have deemed it necessary but for my fear of not being able to contact you at all once you step into the Valley. I would introduce myself but I would not lie to you and I consider names to be an unecessary burden that could simply complicate matters needlessly."

He speaks in a well measured tone, calm and polite. The only thing betraying him are his eyes, which seem completely dispassionate about the whole matter of niceties and formal introductions.

[sblock=Spellcraft DC 22]He comes in using Greater Teleport[/sblock][/sblock]

Remove ads