Valley of the Dead: Chapter 2 "Home of the sleepless"

Malachei

First Post
At first, Lórquelië did not want to try the wine that was offered to her. It could be poisoned. After all, there were dwarves nearby.

She meditated and sank into the cozy state of wandering the most beautiful place on earth: Her own mind.

Her mental images played a colorful performance, full of flowers and trees and joy and laughter. A light blue sky, cloudless, the sun a tender kiss on her skin, the slight breeze playing with her hair. She enjoyed, and she celebrated life. For a moment, she had forgotten the grief, and the dead. Then, a dark spot appeared in the sky. A glimpse of disbelief later, the scenery broke, a dark rip tearing it apart, like a painting cut with a dagger. There was a terrible sound of storm and cries of pain and, in the distance, a sound of breath.

Her imagination ran from her mind, and like a panicked captive, she tried to escape the maze, searching for the light. But there was no light. Darkness had crept inside the Noldorin's mind, and like a disease, it had spread and it ate at her laughter, her love, and her life.

The shadow had befallen her.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok snorts at the words from the stablemen.

After spotting the Lady, Thok grunts, showing off his tusks.
"Men!" bellowed the barbarian "Ghost Witch be here! To arms!" without hesitation, and remembering his previous encounter with the apparition, Thok blindly moved to engage, forgetting all that the cleric had told him the day before.

Zerith

First Post
Zinerath was so close to getting some sleep, then Thok roared, Zinerath, at this point did not really know, nor care, if he was awake or if it was, finally, a new dream that was going to try something new, he stood up, and had noticed his cloak dangling from his mouth… Yep, we was awake, his dreams always omitted the cloak made gag. He spat it out, grabbed his new weapon and squeezed out of his tent after undoing as few of the ties on his tent flap as he needed to in order to reasonably get out with the weapon while avoiding becoming snagged on the tent with either his horns or the glowing weapon. Befor moving towards where he herd thok in a hustle, he was quick but by no means hurried.

his hair, still not fully dryed, was frazzled in the manner only a pillow could cause, his eyes beamed off with an annoryed red glow and ere under lined in black rings, his poster was poor and all four wings hung so low that they dragged slightly on the ground as he moved: In Zinerath’s mind one of two things was about to happen, either Thok stirred him over nothing, and was about to have a long nap outside along with a large lump on his head, or there was something to take his new found frustration on. Either way, he was going to end up hitting something hard, Thok’s further bellowing made him think the latter.

When he arrives to see Thok charging the apparent ghost, Zinerath, with all the hast of a sleep starved and overweight noble dragging his feet to the kitchen for am midnight snack, walked towards it, unafraid and simply very annoyed, he would not run, would not even hustle towards it, he would simply walk towards it in his quick manner, wings dragging in sloth, and prepare to hack at it with the sharp bit of his new helberd.
He would stop apparently short, yawn out “Zih jER KeerPH.” And slash at it with his newly stretched arms. Assuming he then judged it was dealt with, he fully planned to turn about and go back to bed without even asking what was going on.

OoC: he is sleepy :3

Shayuri

First Post
[sblock=GM]Mei-Ying nods, understanding well the potential power of names, and not holding it against him that he was cautious about casual introductions to someone he'd never met...though he seemed to know enough to suggest he'd been scrying, or had spies.

A few subtler things were not lost on her either. He must have known their destination for some time, so for him to appear now suggested that the news was either new to him, or that he had selected this last-minute timing for another reason. In addition, his decision to appear personally was interesting...it implied his message could not be imparted via a Sending, and that he either lacked a means to deliver a letter, or that he did not wish what he'd come to say to be written down and interceptable. It was conceivable that this was not actually the magician he seemed to be, of course...a confederate, perhaps, or simulacrum...but it would be hard to make such an imposter appear via magic without personally accompanying them.

Interesting.

"Please forgive the rude hospitality I am limited to offering here," she said with a bow of her head. "I have only cushions on the ground, and water in a jug, but you are welcome to them if you like."

It would be rude, of course, to simply ask what he'd come to say. She poured the jug into two wooden cups sitting on a low wooden table in the middle of her tent. She then sat on her knees to sip from her cup, opposite the other mage; a clear invitation without saying so.[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Seeing he is confusing these poor souls more than he is helping Geryk tells them that he is indeed new to Angelwatch and bids them goodnight as he is very tired.

Hearing the half-orc Geryk goes to see what is amiss.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Lórquelië's trance has been disturbed rather abruptly. She hears commotion outside, mainly the bellowing of the half-orc warrior. Geryk rushes past her tent towards the sounds, and as she goes out, her keen elven eyes can make out the large, muscular figure of Thok, melting in the darkness outside the camp trenches. He is running, sword in hands, and shouting.

Geryk reaches the palisades in time to see Thok run off in the distance. He is overtaken by a rather spent Zinerath, who drags his feet reluctantly and casually leaps over the sharpened stakes and the ditch. Such a feat of acrobatics seams almost mundane for the child, but it would take Geryk some consideration to attempt at replicating. Or he could go further down, near the stables, where Thok's tent is situated, and exit trough the intended space in the fence.

[sblock=Thok]Meanwhile, Thok shouted his warnings and ran off bravely, to face the White Lady. The guards looked at one another and shrugged. One shouted "What?" but was rebuked with something that sounded like "Orc... drunk... idiot", which promoted laughter from the other human guards.

No one seemed to follow Thok's brave charge. As such, the half-orc ran as fast as he could (within reason) and reached the small glen. The air is chill and a gloomy fog has spread over the damp grass.

The soil below is soft and where the autumn grass has thinned, sticky mud clings to the barbarian's boots in a most annoying manner. No animals seem to be about, and the only scent is that of the aftermath of cold rain, leaves and wet dirt. Thok's senses are keen, his confidence is brimming, his ferocity - unmatched. It is somewhat surprising that the familiar figure of a ghostly woman raises slowly out of the foggy ground. She is silent and still, and just as the half-orc raises his blade and tightens his muscles to leap at her and cleave trough her, she removes her veil.

Had he not faced her horrid visage yesterday, he would have surely flinched at the features that she revealed. The sight of the Lady's face is enough to send any lesser man running in panic, or even to freeze his heart in death. But such things matter little to the brave half-orc. The Lady stares at him, and he stares back, giving her the most evil eye a man from his tribe could muster. Such a look would make any caravan guard or militia man shake in his boots.

It is in this way, perhaps, that their personalities connected. Not clashed, but touched rather. And in an instant, an image appears before Thok's eyes. If she was using some form of mental communication, he felt no evil intent made upon him, that would usher resistance.

The image itself is that of a desolate wasteland, grey and cold as far as the eye could see. Right in front of him, Jill stands, smirking. She has clawed hands and pointy teeth, and not at all the kindly eyes Thok remembers. Strings can be seen, tied to her hands, legs and head. She looks almost like the marionette of travelling artists that frequent the big cities and the village fairs.

Behind her, an icy mountain could be seen - immense, gleaming with a cold shine. Even further back and above, storm clouds gather. And a pair of eyes, narrow, dark and whirling with malice, unlike anything that can be experienced from living beings. These eyes pierce trough Thok, and they make looking upon the Lady's visage seem pleasant.

In an instant, the image is gone. The White Lady raises her hand, as if in a warning. She floats a few inches from the ground, and the tattered edges of her dress meld into the fog. In an instance, her face is veiled once more, only her cold, unliving eyes remain.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mei-Ying]The man smiles, nods and sits himself on the cushions. He does not attempt to drink from her mug or pitcher. "I promise to make for a more pleasant second meeting, should we come to that. Allow me to be frank my lady. I am in the service of an organization. This organization seeks items of power. Artifacts, most all of them. Our mission has been proceeding adequately, but we have reached an impasse. The remaining items are beyond divination, which means they are most likely located within the bounds of the Valley of the Dead and it's protective Mythal."

The man pauses, regards the Sorceress and nods to himself as he continues.

"Since you are an arcanist, I wish to strike a deal with you. I shall provide information on these items. All that I know, I have written down. I am also empowered to bargain for the price of bringing them to us. You must tell me what it is that you require. And naturally, once a deal has been made, a Geas shall be used to... fasten it. What say you?"

He pauses again, and leans back, rubbing his chin. A gleam in his eyes makes itself apparent once again.

Outside, the sorceress can hear the half-orc shouting at someone or something.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
Rufus watches a little after the strange woman leaves. He gives another low whistle, partly in admiration and partly in regret. The swordsman then continues getting ready to bed down for the night...

EDIT: (Added after Listen check result)

Until he hears the half-orc shouting. With a groan, he pauses in removing his breastplate and returns his sword to his belt before stepping outside and trying to find the madorc.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
[sblock]Mei-Ying takes her cup and sips from it to give polite excuse as she furiously dissected the mage's statements. She was not a wizard, trained in studies and to have the keen intellect they did, but she knew people fairly well and paid attention to what they did and didn't say. The barbarians often spoke carelessly, she found...revealing more than they meant to, or were aware of. And even a barbarian wizard was still a barbarian. The shrieking half-orc she paid no attention to; he was a barbarian in more senses of the word than she could easily catalogue.

He predicted their second meeting would be more pleasant should it come to that. Her success was not assured, obviously...but she suspected there could be a heavily veiled threat in that statement too. At the very least, an assurance that if she did not agree then she was burning this bridge.

His organization sought items of power, most of which but not all were artifacts. Their purpose was unclear. She would need to see if that information was on the bargaining table and what the price was. He was being coy, too, about saying the objects they needed were 'most likely' in the Valley. There were many other possible reasons they resisted divination, and she was sure they were either investigating them, or already had.

That they were entombed in the Valley was troubling. It was difficult to imagine good coming from artifacts contained there...though the commander had mentioned that an artifact was responsible for the magical ward that bottled its evil up. Was that one of the ones they sought? How many such things could there be in one place?

Since you are an arcanist, he wished to make a deal. That had been interesting. It implied there were others, not arcanists, who had not been given that option. The spies in the camp? They might have 'duties' beyond simply reporting what they saw and heard. And why, she wondered fleetingly, did it make a difference that she was an arcanist? Was that his preference, or his organization's?

And finally the geas. Mei-Ying did not use much 'mind magic' herself, but she had some passing familiarity with it. The spell he was mentioning was widely known. It did not distinguish between a willing contractee and a victim. If he was prepared to cast it on her, he did not need to bargain. But of course, it would go more smoothly if she was a willing participant. The power of that binding could be overcome by sufficiently powerful magic. At worst, she could choose to die to deny them their prize. No, they wanted her as an ally...but would they settle for a thrall if she denied them?

She sets the cup back down and says, "You ask a great deal of me. Artifacts are not lightly sealed, or lightly guarded...and you need more than one. There is also the opportunity cost, of course. The power to be had by possessing them, given away. And the secrecy of this meeting leads me to believe that I would be sworn to secrecy in this task as well...making potential enemies of my allies."

"As well, the binding you propose enforces me to hold up my side, but places no obligations on you. I respect your caution, but distrust leads to mutual distrust. Thus, what I ask of you I ask be delivered before I pass into the mythal. My compliance will then be magically enforced, and my reward will assist me in carrying out the terms of the bargain...which can only help you as well."

"This then is what I require."

The sorceress held up a hand with a finger raised.

"First, knowledge. What is your organization, and what do they plan to do with this collection of artifacts? Any one such thing can alter the course of history when found. The power of more than one used by a cabal of powerful mages could shake the heavens from the sky...or send the world crashing into the hells."

"Second, for the power you ask from me, I ask for power. In particular, there are objects that release spells when raw magic is focused through them. They are useful to mages like me, if the spells they cast are not ones I have already mastered. Depending on what you have available, or can make in time, I may also need a few spell tablets...scrolls, I think you call them."

"And finally, protection. The dangers of the Valley are ones arcanists are ill-equipped to counter. I need something to shield me from the powers you ask me to confront. Something to keep my life-essence safe from the touch of the undead. I had planned to rely on the divine magic of the others for this, but as this bargain may drive a wedge between us, I can no longer depend on that."

She raised her eyes to meet his and waited for his response.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Myth and Legend

First Post
[sblock][MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION], [MENTION=99953]Zerith[/MENTION], [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION], [MENTION=38657]Malachei[/MENTION] [/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok lowers his sword, he understood the message the Lady gave him. Probably that was what was beyond the lichgate? Those mountains, those terrible eyes, the dire image of a twisted Jill. But Jill was not beyond that door, Jill was back in town! Might it be that she was possessed? He needed the Big Cleric, as he had named him in his mind, and he needed him now. He smashed his hand on his chest, as a sign o respect and gratitude to the Lady, and turned back, heading purposefully to the "Big Cleric"'s tent.

Remove ads